New hopper questions...

Stealth97

Original poster
Jun 23, 2013
Los Angeles
Just got the Hopper and Joey installed today. So far, I like it. My question is about the broadband connection. My hopper with sling indicates good broadband connection (wifi). My tv with the Joey says no broadband connection. Is this ok? Does the Joey rely on the broadband of the hopper and not need broadband connection itself?

2 other quick questions:
-is the Joey supposed to work a little slower? It responds slower than on the hopper (for example, in the program guide). My Joey also does not show any art/pictures in the recorded folders. I've recorded a couple of shows and on the Hopper it has a picture on their folders. No such luck when accessing them in the Joey. Is this common?
- my remote when using the Joey TV is having difficulty with the mute button. The regular tv remote works fine, but using the Dish remote is not consistent. When I hit the mute button, it goes to mute for a second and then switches back to volume. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!!

Just got the Hopper and Joey installed today. So far, I like it. My question is about the broadband connection. My hopper with sling indicates good broadband connection (wifi). My tv with the Joey says no broadband connection. Is this ok? Does the Joey rely on the broadband of the hopper and not need broadband connection itself?

2 other quick questions:
-is the Joey supposed to work a little slower? It responds slower than on the hopper (for example, in the program guide). My Joey also does not show any art/pictures in the recorded folders. I've recorded a couple of shows and on the Hopper it has a picture on their folders. No such luck when accessing them in the Joey. Is this common?
- my remote when using the Joey TV is having difficulty with the mute button. The regular tv remote works fine, but using the Dish remote is not consistent. When I hit the mute button, it goes to mute for a second and then switches back to volume. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!!

The joey showing not having broad band connection is normal when the Hopper is the one with the broadband connected. The Joey doesn't need a direct internet connection to work normal. For all internet options it works from.the Hopper.

Yes it Is possible for the Joey to be a Tad slower than the Hopper. Not having all the same function as the Hopper concerns me a bit. But reset your entire system Ann's give it a day and this may resolve its self....

And your mute problem maybe just a little issue with the code installed in your remote. There are usually many codes per TV brand some of them work better than others I recommend trying to change and test them on your own....

To change your remote's TV code.

Press menu on remote. Move cursor to settings, select.

Move to remote, select.

Choose TV code. Look up code...

Then just follow the rest of the prompts. Always test mute button.on each code and save before you exit.

Biggest thing at this point, I would say do nothing. Let it go overnight and see how things look tomorrow. I've seen many posts that it takes at least a day for everything to shake out.

I Enabled bridging today, so now that Joey is showing broadband connection. What exactly is bridging though? It seems as if it should always be enabled, to allow the Joeys broadband connection too. Why would you not have it enabled? Anyways, it is working now. Thank you for all the responses.

As far as the remote, the mute button is still giving problems. I've tried all the different codes, but none of them work. I'm wondering if it's the control. I will probably call Dish a call and ask them for a new remote.

By the way, what time do the systems Update? Is it a set time and how long does it usually take? Thanks

My update time is usually just after 1:30AM local time, YMMV. It's never been on the hour. It's about the same each night within say 3 minutes.

If your Hopper or Joey or a recording are using the recorder, then the update time is usually pushed an hour later. Repeat that up until at least sometime in the morning. That is why you want to turn off Joey and Hopper overnight. Often the Hopper will ask if you want to go ahead. No response within a rather short time is a yes.

The reboot takes much less time than prior models but expect say 4 or 5 minutes. If an EHD is connected the reboot may be delayed for more than an hour as it "tests" the EHD filesystem. It's best to power off the EHD. BTW, power pull seems less likely to confuse the Hopper than pulling the USB, for me. It still may reboot to those changes and that is not the nightly guide update.

A reboot-software improvement included the "Sxxx software is up to date" and a countdown on the guide's update time remaining.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)