New House Construction

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Boredfarmer

Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Kansas
I am in the process of constructing a new house. The plans are for 4 to 5 tv viewing areas. Living room, theater, and 3 bedrooms. We currently use dish, which I would prefer to stay with over directTv. That part just depends on how bad dish tries to get in my pocket. I am wanting to pre run all the wiring for the video and audio. I am assuming I need to use RG6. Do I need just a single or dual line to each room? Hopper in main room and joeys in the others? I will be also be running WHA in parts of the house and would like to incorprate that as well. We will be using spray foam in outer walls and insulation in interior for sound control, so want to run all the wires I can. Any help is appreciated.

I am in the process of constructing a new house. The plans are for 4 to 5 tv viewing areas. Living room, theater, and 3 bedrooms. We currently use dish, which I would prefer to stay with over directTv. That part just depends on how bad dish tries to get in my pocket. I am wanting to pre run all the wiring for the video and audio. I am assuming I need to use RG6. Do I need just a single or dual line to each room? Hopper in main room and joeys in the others? I will be also be running WHA in parts of the house and would like to incorprate that as well. We will be using spray foam in outer walls and insulation in interior for sound control, so want to run all the wires I can. Any help is appreciated.

If it was me I would run four coax (two dual) and Cat6 to each TV location. Also, if this is your dream home and plan on staying a long time, don't for get those other locations. Garage, Kitchen, Office, Bathrooms, Patio, etc. You never know about the future. Have them all run to one area in your home with a huge cabinet. I call this the Headend area but there is probably another name for it. If you have deep pockets it wouldn't hurt to run Fiber Optic too. I would think that is the future for home TV/Video/Telephone cable but not real sure on that.

Also if you are planning on an OTA antenna investigate and see if you can install it in your attic. Include that coax too. That is where I installed my antenna and it pulls in 100% signal strength. An OTA antenna is nice to have as a backup during thunderstorms, possible satellite equipment failure, and Dish or Direct TV systems you can add an OTA module to the DVRs.

Might consider a single fiber run if it isn't too expensive. That would really future proof your house.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Cable is cheap to run at this stage. I usually run at least 3 and usually 4 RG6 coax, and 2 - 3 cat6 to each location I plan on using and any location that I might consider using later (patio, garage, workshop, etc..) I run 2 coax and 2 cat6. You never know when a cable might get fried or have an unknown kink that goes bad over time or an unforeseen need for an extra cable arises

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)