New HR24, slwo RF remote response

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Disagree all you want. RBR, removes power momentarily from the CPU, same as pulling the plug. There is no "are you sure you want to do this" error message when you hit the red button is there? Want to know why? You do not give the CPU the option, because you have removed it's power source.

I'll stick to doing the reboot as I would with my computer, this way it has the ability to shut down as it should.

Disagree all you want. RBR, removes power momentarily from the CPU, same as pulling the plug. There is no "are you sure you want to do this" error message when you hit the red button is there? Want to know why? You do not give the CPU the option, because you have removed it's power source.

A rbr removes power momentarily, like you said. Unplugging allows the caps to drain, if left unplugged long enough. That's why it's done to properly reset a box. A rbr won't do that.

caps don't necessarily drain when power is removed. coming from an electronics repair background in the US AF I had to drain caps with a shorting rod on several solid state devices to make sure they were drained before I laid my bare hands on the circuit board. On most, I aways had some difference of potential when draining them.
Also in 20 years of pc/server work never has a reset button reboot failed where a removal of power source succeeded in recovering the device.

I'm sure that is right, but I'm saying that using a rbr is not the same thing as unplugging, that's all.

Boy did this thread go way off topic .... including me .

At least unlike some other threads, the OP stuck around and updated those that were trying to help.

Unfortunately the OP decided we didn't know anything and it turned into a debate over 3 ways to do one thing.
All three are correct and work different ways and accomplish things differently.

Unfortunately none of which solved the subs issue.

Which of my replies implied you don't know anything? If one Did, I apologize.
I was asked if I replaced batteries and if I rebooted. I replied I had done both. You asked what type of reset I did, I said I did a soft boot, you asked for a definition of a softboot. You took this off topic with your reply of "Reboot via the Menu's is a Proper reset". I am guilty of keeping that off topic portion going as well.

For the record, I have replaced batteries. I have performed a "proper reset". I have performed an RBR. I have performed a power cycle by removing power from the DVR.
I have reset the remote to factory default. (several times)
I have even tried using the remote from my HR22. Model number I think is RC64R. It has worked great with the HR22 for over a year. I get the same delay of response on the HR24.
I have tried StoneCold's method of disabling the 2-way comm between the remote and the DVR.
No luck.

Which of my replies implied you don't know anything? If one Did, I apologize.
I was asked if I replaced batteries and if I rebooted. I replied I had done both. You asked what type of reset I did, I said I did a soft boot, you asked for a definition of a softboot. You took this off topic with your reply of "Reboot via the Menu's is a Proper reset". I am guilty of keeping that off topic portion going as well.

For the record, I have replaced batteries. I have performed a "proper reset". I have performed an RBR. I have performed a power cycle by removing power from the DVR.
I have reset the remote to factory default. (several times)
I have even tried using the remote from my HR22. Model number I think is RC64R. It has worked great with the HR22 for over a year. I get the same delay of response on the HR24.
I have tried StoneCold's method of disabling the 2-way comm between the remote and the DVR.
No luck.

When was the last time you did the reset/reboot ?
If it's not better in 12 hours from then, I would call D* and let them know whats going on...
Unfortunately, they will have you start the process all over again, so they know it was done.

yesterday.
noticed today that there was a software update this morning. 0x452.
Hoped it would help.
nope.
guess I will call D*.

Tech bulletin states to follow these steps

1) Perform a red button reset
2)If still slow select 'Active' button and check the weather for correct zip code. If box is still slow after exiting Actice channel perform the following steps to clear the cache.
1) Go to channel 1
2) On remote, press red/red/blue/blue/yellow/green
3) See message, "NVRAM, Flash memory cleared" on bottom of screen
4) red button reset
5) Reload previous application (Active)

Attempt normal functions...

2)If still slow select 'Active' button and check the weather for correct zip code. If box is still slow after exiting Actice channel perform the following steps to clear the cache.
1) Go to channel 1
4) red button reset

Has anyone reported and success with this procedure yet ?

1) Go to channel 1
4) red button reset

:welcome to Satelliteguys Daddy Dithers!

Thanks for this information. I haven't tried it yet, but I will report my success when I do. Are you a tech? This info sounds like the kind only techs would have access to.

Thanks for the input Daddy Dithers.

It did not help though. :-(

Geez, how many ways posts does it take to discuss how to reboot?
Neither RBR and MRB are incorrect.
Sometimes one way works where the other does not.
If DTV didn't want you to have those abilities they would not have installed the features.

And a huge FYI on rebooting, usually when you call DTV with a technical issue, they will have you unplug the recvr for about 30 sec then plug it back in to reboot it.

So, that being said, try all three.

Is it always slow or occasionally slow?
I have an H24 in RF mode.
The receiver responds slowly occasionally but it is rare and really not a problem.

I keep mine in RF because I have the recvr hooked to multiple TV's (single guy and there is no need to pay for multiple receivers).

First suggestion for you though is if you can, put the remote back in to IR mode as it does work better and the batteries will last longer.
Do this anyways to see if the problem continues. If so, then you will eliminate weather the remote being in RF mode is the cause of the problem.
If it works fine in IR mode then you could get a set of IR repeaters.
Or try calling Direct TV and see if they will replace the recvr.

If it still causes the problem, then call direct tv and see if they will replace the recvr.

I have hooked several H24's and HR24's in RF mode with no problems.
But it sounds like you have tried just about everything else.

yea tried all that. works great in IR. I like RF because I have kids and animals that get in the way of the DVR. Not in another room or anything like you are doing.
when I have an hour to kill I am going to call D*.

Ok, when you call them, lie and tell them the receiver is in an AV room with no option to use IR.
It will get you further with them faster.

Also, be willing to accept that if they send a replacement, it might not be an HR24.
However, all HD/DVR combos have RF capability and picture quality is currently the same.

Also, watch your recorded shows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)