New HWS & SJ...pretty cool so far!

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Had my install this morning upgrading from an Original Hopper to a HWS, and swapping one of my two Joeys to a Super Joey. Installer showed up right on their time estimate. They had estimated two hours for the install, and it ended up taking just shy of an hour and a half. It saved him a little time that I already had the third line from the Dish in place near the node (from back when I was on WA with a wing dish). Very neat install and actually spent more time waiting on the s/w to download than anything else.

One funny moment was when he was disconnecting everything from the original Hopper...he got to the USB OTA Tuner and just kinda stared at it for a minute. He finally asked me what it was running to, so I told him it was the OTA antenna. He just kinda laughed..."OH OK...they showed us one of those when they came out, but I've never actually seen one installed." (Just another reminder that we aren't your typical sat customer, I suppose.:D)

So far, I'm really enjoying the new HWS and SJ. Both are noticeably faster than the original Hopper and regular Joey they replaced...and that is MUCH appreciated. I was sooooo tired of the slow nature of the original Hopper and especially the Joey. I know that not everyone has experienced this with their Joeys, but mine was always really bad. So far, the speed of using the HWS at my main tv and the speed of the SJ in the bedroom are pretty much dead even. Can't see any lag in either location. I'd have to say the speed increase is probably the best part of the upgrade...the extra tuners are just gravy! :D

This was also the first receiver swap I've done since they started the backup process using the remote. It was very nice to have all my timers restored to the new receiver from the old remote and not have to set all those back up again.

Only real hitch was the EHD. I was happy to be able to get what I wanted to keep offloaded from the Original Hopper w/o any errors. Like a couple other posters, I haven't been able to move them to the new Hopper, but that wasn't too big of a surprise. We'll give it a couple days to settle in and try again or just watch from there.

Have to say...from Zach/DIRT getting the upgrade setup on a busy day one of the SJ, to the on-time arrival of the tech and painless install, to the performance increases...this has easily been the most painless receiver upgrade I've done with Dish! :up

(...but I still want my Protected Icons back, dammit ;) )

So far, I'm really enjoying the new HWS and SJ. Both are noticeably faster than the original Hopper and regular Joey they replaced
I agree. I didn't expect such a significant improvement, but I am pleasantly surprised that the HWS is so much more responsive than the original Hopper. I'm really glad I finally pulled the trigger on that upgrade!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)