New install: Asked for 3 rooms got 2 tuners and sharing one?

unionturf

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
so, I got the Dish installed today, the installer brought in 2 boxes...one for the room with no DVR and one for the HD TV. so, I asked what about the DVR for the other room (my bedroom) he then explained that the bedroom and the media room "share" the tuners.

So I give him the following senerio: I'm recording something in the medica room, and I want to watch something else on another channel...great. But what happens when my wife in the bedroom wants to watch TV? he said she could, no problem. I repeated and said so we can watch 3 thing at once? yes was then answer.

Well I told my wife it would not work and guess what? lol

We had a concert recording in the media room and hit the showers, my son came in and started watching TV in the media room and we are stuck watching the show we had already started recording earlier. :mad:

So, before I call them and ask, is there a simple solution?

I signed up for a duel tuner in the media room and and a DVR in the bedroom and an extra room...I don't want to share the DVR with the media room, can I simply add a DVR tuner to the bedroom?

And sorry if this has been asked, I looked around and could not find it.

Thanks!

Depending on the install it sounds like some rewiring is going to be necessary. Did you get a 622 (HD DVR) for the media room or something else? If you just got a standard def DVR (625) for the media room then I would suggest calling dish up and asking to have a 622 installed and have the DVR that's in the media room moved into the bedroom. Keep in mind you're looking at a pair of DVR fees if you go with two DVR boxes unless you have the America's Everything Package or the HD Platinum package.

Sorry, yes I did get the 622 HD DVR for the media room. I have never heard of sharing a DVR before, tonight was our first night and it sucked. :)

We have a busy house (6 people) and sharing one DVR is not going to cut it with the boss.

Best bet would be to call Dish as soon as you have the opportunity and ask for them to install another dual tuner in the bedroom and leave the media room DVR by itself unshared. I'm guessing the other room that's not the bedroom has a single room DVR.

unionturf said:
so, I got the Dish installed today, the installer brought in 2 boxes...one for the room with no DVR and one for the HD TV. so, I asked what about the DVR for the other room (my bedroom) he then explained that the bedroom and the media room "share" the tuners.

I signed up for a duel tuner in the media room and and a DVR in the bedroom and an extra room...I don't want to share the DVR with the media room, can I simply add a DVR tuner to the bedroom.

You sound like you're contradicting yourself.

In the 1st paragraph, it sounds like you signed-up for a dual-tuner 622 HD DVR for your media room and the bedroom. Both rooms have DVR capability. The other room just has a standard 301 or 311 receiver.

In the last paragraph, it appears you're saying you wanted a dual-tuner 622 HD DVR receiver in your media room (and I have had a couple of customers want the 622 hooked-up ONLY to their HD TV so they could have PIP capability at all times).
And then it sounds like you wanted a dual-tuner 625 DVR receiver for your bedroom and other room.

I just saying it is possible you didn't clarify yourself to either customer service and/or the tech.

As far as watching 2 different shows and recording a show on your 622, it can be done. Read your user guide.

I still cant get my second remote to work with tv2 on my 622.
I also ordered two receivers, one hd dvr and one sd dvr - why does dish take it upon themseleves to not install what we order!

Wired said:
I also ordered two receivers, one hd dvr and one sd dvr - why does dish take it upon themseleves to not install what we order!

the 622 is 1 HD dvr & an SD dvr all in one box. dished way of doin it.

Wired said:

You have one of 3 problems:

Problem 1 - your TV2 remote is not set to the same remote address the system shows for it. Go to your 622 receiver and with your TV1 remote, press menu-6-1-3. A "TV2 is currently in use" message will pop-up. Select "YES". This will put you into your "system info" screen.

At the bottom right, where the "blue TV2" is shown, you'll see "UHF", "Rem Addr", and "TV Chan Out". Notice the number after "Rem Addr".

Now take your TV2 remote and hold down the "SAT" key at the top until it starts blinking. Now enter the number shown after "Rem Addr". Press the # key. The "SAT" key should blink 3 times. Now press the "RECORD" key.

If this was the problem, your remote now matches the remote address for it in the system and should function.l

Problem 2. - Take your TV2 remote to point it toward the 622 receiver. Enter "140" for ESPN or "214" for the The Weather Channel, or just any channel you have in your package. Now go to TV2 and see if it flipped-over to that channel.

IF it did, then your TV2 is too far away and the antenna on back of the 622 is not picking-up the signal from the TV2 Remote and it needs to be "Pig-tailed".

You can either call Dish to come-out and fix it or you can do this:
You'll need 2 "2-way" splitters and 3 coax cables. Since you're dealing with the back-feed to TV2, you can just use RG-59 cable. RG6 is only neccessary from the dish to the receiver(s).

Get behind your 622 receiver. Disconnect the coax from the TV2 port (this port is colored yellow) and disconnect the UHF antenna from its port (this port is colored green). Take two of your coax cables and connect one onto the TV2 port and the other onto the UHF antenna port.
Now take the other ends of these coaxs and connect them to the "OUT" ports of a splitter.
Then take the cable that was originally connected to the TV2 port and connect it to the "IN" port of the splitter.

Now, take your remaining coax, your other splitter, and the UHF antenna and get behind your TV2 set.

Disconnect the cable from TV2. Connect that cable onto the "IN" port of the splitter.
Take the UHF antenna and connect onto an "OUT" port of the splitter.
And connect your remaining coax onto the other "OUT" port.
Finally, take the other end of your coax and connect back onto TV2.

Now see if your TV2 remote functions properly there in your TV2 room.

Problem 3. - Your TV2 remote is fried or a piece of junk or whatever and you need a new one. I guess it is possible the UHF antenna port or something associated with it is messed-up on your receiver, but I highly doubt it. I have not ran across that yet.

Also be careful since you have 2 TV2s (you have two dual-tuner receivers). If you notice that both your TV2s are turning to the same channel whenever you use either TV2 remote, than both remotes have the same address and you'll need to change the remote address on one of them.
Just take one of your TV2 remotes back to its corresponding receiver and follow the directions in "Problem 1" above. Just pick a DIFFERENT number between 1 and 10 for its NEW remote address.
This will eliminate the TV2 remotes interfering with each other.

Last edited:
Could the 622 by any chance be set to "Single Mode" instead of "Dual Mode"?
That would explain why the 2 rooms have the same display.

Derwin0 said:
Could the 622 by any chance be set to "Single Mode" instead of "Dual Mode"?
That would explain why the 2 rooms have the same display.

That's possible too. I actually did have one trouble call that that is all it was.

I'd forgotten about that.

Something like that or "dead batteries" is usually eliminated by tech support and never becomes a "trouble call".

Last edited:
rich88 said:
You sound like you're contradicting yourself.

As far as watching 2 different shows and recording a show on your 622, it can be done. Read your user guide.

I did read the manual, I see where it says I can record 2 programs while I'm watching a "previously recorded show" but don't see how we can do 3 things at once.

The layout is this:

Media room: 622
Den: 311
Bedroom: linked to 622

So, last night we started recording a show in the media room and hit the shower, my son started watching another show in the media room. We got done and wanted to watch TV in the bedroom, when we tried to change the channel it said we had to cancel the recording if we wanted to change the channel.

Maybe I'm missing something simple.

unionturf said:
So, last night we started recording a show in the media room and hit the shower, my son started watching another show in the media room. We got done and wanted to watch TV in the bedroom, when we tried to change the channel it said we had to cancel the recording if we wanted to change the channel.
The 622 has 2 tuners.
You were recording something with 1 tuner.
You're son was watching something with the 2nd tuner.

There was no free tuner for you to watch, hence the question about canceling the recording to free up 1 of the 2 tuners.

To do a third thing at once would be to watch a show that was recorded and has completed recording to free up the tuner. A show that has completed recording does not use a tuner, but one that is recording in progress does.

Yea, exactly what I thought.

The Dish installer said we could and I disagreed, I even clarified the question to him. I will be calling them again today. I want a DVR in my bedroom and a dual DVR in the media room so I will need to have them come back out.

What you are trying to do will work perfectly fine. I am backfeeding my 622 and my 942 into my home cable distribution system without any issues and the picutre looks fine on all of the sets in the house.

Where you will have problems is if you try to combine those feeds with the analog cable from the cable company. I get analog cable included with my high speed so I have been trying to combine the modulated output with the feed from the cable company without much luck. The picture ends up looking like total crap.

Before anyone asks, Yes, I have tried using both notch filters and low pass filters to block the cable channels so I could inject the modulated input without interferance and it still doesn't help. I have tired using the Super home node (piece of crap btw) Right now I have a Channel Vision 8way amplified splitter/combiner with a dedicated modulated input plus a channel 60 low pass filter that is supposedly designed to allow backfeeding a modulated signal in, and the picture quality is still very poor.

If anyone has this modulated output combined with analog cable working with great picture quality, please let me know how you did it and what hardware you are using.

bill93civic said:
the 622 is 1 HD dvr & an SD dvr all in one box. dished way of doin it.
I appreciate that but I ordered two units, I want tv2 to be input for PIP downstairs not feed the upstairs; why would dish mess with peoples orders? im happy to pay the extra box fee.

rich88 said:
You have one of 3 problems:

Problem 1 - your TV2 remote is not set to the same remote address the system shows for it. Go to your 622 receiver and with your TV1 remote, press menu-6-1-3. A "TV2 is currently in use" message will pop-up. Select "YES". This will put you into your "system info" screen.

At the bottom right, where the "blue TV2" is shown, you'll see "UHF", "Rem Addr", and "TV Chan Out". Notice the number after "Rem Addr".

Now take your TV2 remote and hold down the "SAT" key at the top until it starts blinking. Now enter the number shown after "Rem Addr". Press the # key. The "SAT" key should blink 3 times. Now press the "RECORD" key.

If this was the problem, your remote now matches the remote address for it in the system and should function.l

Problem 2. - Take your TV2 remote to point it toward the 622 receiver. Enter "140" for ESPN or "214" for the The Weather Channel, or just any channel you have in your package. Now go to TV2 and see if it flipped-over to that channel.

IF it did, then your TV2 is too far away and the antenna on back of the 622 is not picking-up the signal from the TV2 Remote and it needs to be "Pig-tailed".

You can either call Dish to come-out and fix it or you can do this:
You'll need 2 "2-way" splitters and 3 coax cables. Since you're dealing with the back-feed to TV2, you can just use RG-59 cable. RG6 is only neccessary from the dish to the receiver(s).

Get behind your 622 receiver. Disconnect the coax from the TV2 port (this port is colored yellow) and disconnect the UHF antenna from its port (this port is colored green). Take two of your coax cables and connect one onto the TV2 port and the other onto the UHF antenna port.
Now take the other ends of these coaxs and connect them to the "OUT" ports of a splitter.
Then take the cable that was originally connected to the TV2 port and connect it to the "IN" port of the splitter.

Now, take your remaining coax, your other splitter, and the UHF antenna and get behind your TV2 set.

Disconnect the cable from TV2. Connect that cable onto the "IN" port of the splitter.
Take the UHF antenna and connect onto an "OUT" port of the splitter.
And connect your remaining coax onto the other "OUT" port.
Finally, take the other end of your coax and connect back onto TV2.

Now see if your TV2 remote functions properly there in your TV2 room.

Problem 3. - Your TV2 remote is fried or a piece of junk or whatever and you need a new one. I guess it is possible the UHF antenna port or something associated with it is messed-up on your receiver, but I highly doubt it. I have not ran across that yet.

Also be careful since you have 2 TV2s (you have two dual-tuner receivers). If you notice that both your TV2s are turning to the same channel whenever you use either TV2 remote, than both remotes have the same address and you'll need to change the remote address on one of them.
Just take one of your TV2 remotes back to its corresponding receiver and follow the directions in "Problem 1" above. Just pick a DIFFERENT number between 1 and 10 for its NEW remote address.
This will eliminate the TV2 remotes interfering with each other.
Thank you very much! I will try that this evening.

Sorry for hijacking the thread... I cannot get the SWAP button to work; on my comcast hd dvr i was able to record the channel I was watching, then hit swap and move about channels on tuner 2.

Last edited:
I just called Dish and they FINALLY understood after I explained it. They seem to be so hooked on these receivers being able to serve two room they loose focus that you may want to use those two tuners on the same room. Thursday is the install day for the 2nd DVR, lets' see what happened.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)