KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Ok, I know I'm not the only installer that has had this problem. I have had 3 installs in the last 7-8 days, where I call and get the system activated. And........
So I'm wondering if there is anything you all know that I don't.

Ok before someone comes in with some smart remark, I have been installing E* for 8 years now, so without really trying to brag I know what I am doing.

Anyway all 3 were different combos, ie.(dish 1000, dish 500 and today, one with international channels), all with good signals.

Ok so I get the call this number 'cause your receiver has not yet been activated, on all receivers so I call the installer line and get them turned on and one shows it is being activated please wait... blah blah.

Then it comes up and show title of the channel and them blank screen.

Memory Dump and hard reset, check switch again and same prob. Today the one I had the Mem Dump fixed it...............Any Comments............BTW they were all new not refurb 311's that this happened to.

Come to think of it, I did have that problem last week and I think it was a new 311. If I remember correctly, I did a hard reset a couple of more times and it finally came in.

I think I was wondering if it didn't download its software correctly at first.

ke4est said:
Ok, I know I'm not the only installer that has had this problem. I have had 3 installs in the last 7-8 days, where I call and get the system activated. And........
So I'm wondering if there is anything you all know that I don't.

Ok before someone comes in with some smart remark, I have been installing E* for 8 years now, so without really trying to brag I know what I am doing.

Anyway all 3 were different combos, ie.(dish 1000, dish 500 and today, one with international channels), all with good signals.

Ok so I get the call this number 'cause your receiver has not yet been activated, on all receivers so I call the installer line and get them turned on and one shows it is being activated please wait... blah blah.

Then it comes up and show title of the channel and them blank screen.

Memory Dump and hard reset, check switch again and same prob. Today the one I had the Mem Dump fixed it...............Any Comments............BTW they were all new not refurb 311's that this happened to.

Only thing that comes to mind is if the software is up to date? By memory dump do you mean running CS without the feedline connected to clear the matrix?

ke4est,

I'm not an installer but I have had so many problems with black screens on my 311s that is not even funny. I used to have 5 311s, I'm down to 1 and last week I got a black screen on the last one.

The only way to get it back is by rebooting the receiver. Something is definitely wrong with "SOME" 311s.

Dish just recently put out a memo detailing the very symptons you're describing. It has to do with current software (or in this case...outdated software).

Bottom line, you need to verify current receiver software or smart card firmware is in place. In the case of smart card firmware, a call to the CSR and getting a "hit" will solve that problem.

webbydude said:
Dish just recently put out a memo detailing the very symptons you're describing. It has to do with current software (or in this case...outdated software).

Bottom line, you need to verify current receiver software or smart card firmware is in place. In the case of smart card firmware, a call to the CSR and getting a "hit" will solve that problem.

Verify smart card firmware? I haven't heard this before... I suppose during normal activation as long as the IRD recieves the hit it's irrelavant then, eh?

While we're on this....

I hear of several different was to force a software download, none really seem to work, at least for me.

The 311 (correct me if I am wrong) it's a matter of going into system updates, choosing the enable automatic download option then hit save then immediately power off with the remote. Reciever is supposed to come back on 20 minutes later or so... Is this correct?

I've heard on a 322 to goto a check switch screen lock on 119 and do a front panel reset. Is this correct?

BTW- the last memo I recieved was do not call and ask for a hit until two (2) hours has passed since the initial hit was sent in order to save bandwith.

rcdallas said:
Verify smart card firmware? I haven't heard this before... I suppose during normal activation as long as the IRD recieves the hit it's irrelavant then, eh?

While we're on this....

I hear of several different was to force a software download, none really seem to work, at least for me.

The 311 (correct me if I am wrong) it's a matter of going into system updates, choosing the enable automatic download option then hit save then immediately power off with the remote. Reciever is supposed to come back on 20 minutes later or so... Is this correct?

I've heard on a 322 to goto a check switch screen lock on 119 and do a front panel reset. Is this correct?

BTW- the last memo I recieved was do not call and ask for a hit until two (2) hours has passed since the initial hit was sent in order to save bandwith.

Yeah, we were just told about that memo last week.

I called to activate a used 301 receiver for a customer that was active in the past and he wanted to use it again. Well we must have waited for an hour or more and it still never activated. We called again to have them send a rehit and they did and it activated the second time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)