New install, first actual problem

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
In my 2 Hopper install all has been running just fine but today on one of them I can't get anything on 77( I'm in EA). I've run check switch and it show less satellites from what was there on install.

Since the other Hopper is working fine, I'm assuming the problem is probably the dual node,correct?

In my 2 Hopper install all has been running just fine but today on one of them I can't get anything on 77( I'm in EA). I've run check switch and it show less satellites from what was there on install.

Since the other Hopper is working fine, I'm assuming the problem is probably the dual node,correct?

Is the node outside? If you can see the node, is there a black dot on the node?

Yes, it is outside. No black dot on it.

I had pulled the power from this hopper this morning as I had to shuffle some things around on the av rack. I don't know if 77 was working up until before I did that. All was working fine last night.

Yes, it is outside. No black dot on it.

I had pulled the power from this hopper this morning as I had to shuffle some things around on the av rack. I don't know if 77 was working up until before I did that. All was working fine last night.

You could try swapping rooms and see if the problem follows the hopper or stays in the room after running a Checkswitch. I can't remember what channels are still carried on 77 that aren't also on 72 besides locals. I thought new EA installs were only 61.5 and 72 since recently.

Check switch shows fewer sats than at install. My locals are on 77.

Switching things around isn't practical. I'll call my local dealer in the am and get him out to fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: I'm only seeing 72 so it is not switching.

That sounds a lot like a problem I have run into a couple times. One of the jobs we ended up pulling one of the Hoppers and replacing it with a Joey. The problem doesn't happen on 1 Hopper installs. After spending about 20 hours on the job, replacing everything 3, 4, or 5 times, the cause is still unknown. Every part that failed at that job, worked fine elsewhere. Some people are suggesting radar interference or other weird things. I hope that isn't the problem you have, because it is a major pain in the neck.

There have been reports of dual nodes having problems in cold weather if they are outside. Can you heat it up genmtly with a hair dryer or heating blanket. Try it and see if it changes anything.

if it's a cold weather issue, it's related to a specific LNB (at least from my understanding)

We are sorry about this issue and everyone experiencing problems related to cold weather and Duo Nodes. We have identified the problem and if you are one of the users who is still encountering these problems, please send us a PM with your first and last name, account number and 4 digit security code or last 4 digits of your SSN and we will assist in getting a technician sent out to resolve the problem.

This issue is occurring due to an problem with specific LNBs and the older model Duo Nodes that were distributed. The symptoms are listed below.

• Signal acquisition onscreen message 015 or other signal loss related messages.
  • Failed check switch test, where the LNBF type cannot be identified and orbital locations are missing for each satellite input.

The issue may be occurring if someone has an older model node and is using one of the following LNBFs that have the following serial number prefix markings identified by the 1st 6 characters of the serial number. (see attachement)

D1000.4 WA Triple LNBF, A122A7
D1000.4 WA Triple LNBF, A72201

D1000.2 Triple LNBF, A11201,A11202,A11203
D1000.2 Triple LNBF, A71201,A71202,A71203

D1000.4 EA Triple LNBF, A71C01

If you have an older model Duo Node and are experiencing these issues, then the LNBF needs to be replaced. An updated Duo Node design is already in inventory to enable all LNBF versions to be used in cold weather conditions. Updated Duo Nodes may be identified by black dots on the carton and unit labels. (see attachment)

That describes exactly what I've got. My LNBF is about 3.5 years old and wasn't used for the last 18 months, and the non-black dot duo node is the one that is there. And the node is outside.

I was watching some recordings and went back to live TV and now it doesn't find any sats on one hopper. The other one is working just fine.

Every thread I see here about this makes me glad that I chose to put my nodes in the basement!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

That describes exactly what I've got. My LNBF is about 3.5 years old and wasn't used for the last 18 months, and the non-black dot duo node is the one that is there. And the node is outside.

I was watching some recordings and went back to live TV and now it doesn't find any sats on one hopper. The other one is working just fine.

I would get a tech out to swap your LNB or swap the node .

That's what I'll do. I got my install from a local dealer who is a friend and also takes good care of his customer base.

I'll also show him the notice.

Just called my local dealer and told him the problem. He'll be out here around the noon hour to swap out the LNBF or whatever is needed to fix me up.

With 20/20 hindsight, probably should have put on a new LNBF to begin with. The one that is there has been there since the switch to EA down here which was about 4 years ago. It has been sitting idle outside in the weather for about 18 months which certainly doesn't help it.

Assuming the LNBF fixes the issue it does seem odd to me that an LNBF problem would only affect one Hopper in a duo-node situation. Probably because I don't actually know how all this works. :)

Just called my local dealer and told him the problem. He'll be out here around the noon hour to swap out the LNBF or whatever is needed to fix me up.

With 20/20 hindsight, probably should have put on a new LNBF to begin with. The one that is there has been there since the switch to EA down here which was about 4 years ago. It has been sitting idle outside in the weather for about 18 months which certainly doesn't help it.

Assuming the LNBF fixes the issue it does seem odd to me that an LNBF problem would only affect one Hopper in a duo-node situation. Probably because I don't actually know how all this works. :)

Dish engineering identified specific model LNBs and specific batches within those models that cause signal loss on cold weather with the older model dual nodes. So he can swap out the node to a model with the black dot, if he has one, not all offices have them. If the black dot node isn't an option, then changing the lnb to one that is not in the serial number range should do the trick.

Oh well, sometimes you just have to admit when you cause your own damn problem! :(

Turns out that behind the big screen, and not readily available or visible, was a barrel connection in the line to the duo-node. What had happened was all my fault! When I was wiggling the D* power inserter out of back there by feel, I must have put some strain on that cable and made it not so good.

The dealer came out and looked at what was happening and told me he just was not having issues around here with duo-nodes. So he looked for tone from the Hopper end to the duo-node and found none, then we started looking to see where it could have been lost. Replaced the connectors and the barrel connector and all is good.

Boy, talk about egg on my face! :)

Anyways, thanks to all for the comments and suggestions as they were certainly on point. You all just had no way to know what a klutz I can be! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)