New Install for my parents 622? Why not 722?

Are you absolutely sure of yourself. Getting what ever you want?
ON numerous occasions I have upgraded customers with a dual tuner DVR to one tv.
NOw, first you state you sometimes can't get the equipment you want.
Then you say you can.
Ok fine, whatever.
From the standpoint of field personnel it is imperative that customers make up their mind what they want or at least alert the company BEFORE the tech gets there that they have changed their mind. Or upon precall at least tell the precaller you believe an error exists in the work order. This way we can fix it before hand.
The thrsut of this thread is simple. Under the lease agreement Dish installs what is available.
Fortunately wqe have always been able to purchase the most updated equipment. So even tho the work order states 622, we deliver 722k's. But that is not always the case and does not apply nationwide.
I find the part where apparently you allowed ther tech to complete the work then complained about the receiver and you then threatened to cancel particularly offensive.
There are procedures in place for situations such as this. The equpiment can be excahaged without delay if the tech happens to have extras of what you want on his truck at that time. Or if not the desired equipment can be ordered and shipped to the customer.
Threatening to cancel and therefore screwing the tech ( he would not get paid for his work) because you didn't get what you though you should get is not the right thing to do.
If you'd canceled and the tech did remove the equipment, it would have been a cold July day in Phoenix if he was going to reconnect your old setup. And there is nothing you could do about it.
In any event however poorly you went about it, I am certainly glad you decided to remain a Dish customer.
Enjoy your system. And if you ever have any questions, please post them here. We will help.

I'll take it in order:

I said as a NEW or returning as NEW customer, you can usually get what you want if you ask. As an existing customer, that isn't/wasn't always the case. You got what they offered through dish 'n it up or somesuch.

And you either misunderstood, or I mistyped. I didn't complain about what Dish tried to do until they tried to do it. And that was after the kid installed it and was calling for the authorization. I was crystal clear in what I wanted at all times. It was the Dish people that didn't think they should leave a 722k with a single TV setup. If that is acting poorly on my part, I'll keep right on doing it.

I frankly am not happy with your portrayal of what I said. If you had actually read all of the post, you would have seen that :
1. I ordered by phone a 722k ONLY for 1 TV - I never changed that.
2. Truck showed up w/work order for a 722k + 322 and 4 TV hookup. I told him then that it was a single TV connection and that only the 722k was ordered.
3. The tech disconnected absolutely nothing, I have a DirecTV HDDVR and it is still there working just as slowly as ever. It wasn't his job to remove anything.
4. When the TECH called the authorization center, THEY were the ones that were balking, not me. I just said, no 722k, no sale and that is because that is what I ordered and Dish's sales person confirmed over the phone.

So if you see something in there that I did wrong, you're off base. I was totally consistent in what I wanted, what I ordered and what I would accept. It was at Dish HQ where the problem was, not me, not the tech. He did his job and did it well.

I hope Dishcomm listens and learns. Unfortunately, there are a lot of installers that don't know zip about Dish gear. I had one tell me the 722 tuner would be worthless after the digital transition.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Dishcomm, get up to snuff!!!

I hope Dishcomm listens and learns. Unfortunately, there are a lot of installers that don't know zip about Dish gear. I had one tell me the 722 tuner would be worthless after the digital transition.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Dishcomm, get up to snuff!!!

Easy now....Don't make this personal.

I'll take it in order:

I said as a NEW or returning as NEW customer, you can usually get what you want if you ask. As an existing customer, that isn't/wasn't always the case. You got what they offered through dish 'n it up or somesuch.

And you either misunderstood, or I mistyped. I didn't complain about what Dish tried to do until they tried to do it. And that was after the kid installed it and was calling for the authorization. I was crystal clear in what I wanted at all times. It was the Dish people that didn't think they should leave a 722k with a single TV setup. If that is acting poorly on my part, I'll keep right on doing it.

I frankly am not happy with your portrayal of what I said. If you had actually read all of the post, you would have seen that :
1. I ordered by phone a 722k ONLY for 1 TV - I never changed that.
2. Truck showed up w/work order for a 722k + 322 and 4 TV hookup. I told him then that it was a single TV connection and that only the 722k was ordered.
3. The tech disconnected absolutely nothing, I have a DirecTV HDDVR and it is still there working just as slowly as ever. It wasn't his job to remove anything.
4. When the TECH called the authorization center, THEY were the ones that were balking, not me. I just said, no 722k, no sale and that is because that is what I ordered and Dish's sales person confirmed over the phone.

So if you see something in there that I did wrong, you're off base. I was totally consistent in what I wanted, what I ordered and what I would accept. It was at Dish HQ where the problem was, not me, not the tech. He did his job and did it well.
I ma going back to re read your post. Stay tuned.

I think all this has to do with the way the website works. If you only have one TV, then the 722 or 722k aren't an option. You have to call in and be very specific. That's what I did. I wanted the 722k and the dual-OTA tuner module. Even on the phone they tried to talk me into a 722. I told them, no 722k, no Dish for me. So that's what went into the system.

On install, the installer had a 722k w/OTA module and a 322. The order got screwed up and they had me down for a 4 TV install. We got that straightened out. But when the installer called in for the final part of the setup, they said, no you can't have a 722k with only one TV. I said fine, take all your stuff and leave and I'll stay with Direct. Needless to say they weren't going to lose the deal, so whatever they did, I have the 722k w/OTA just like I ordered.

And for those that claim you can't get the equipment you want, well sometimes that is true especially if you already have Dish. But if you are a new, or returning from long hiatus from Dish, customer, you can specify what you want. But you may have to stick to your guns if they try to change that at install time.

As far as I was concerned, the 722 was the minimum I might have been talked into, but I wanted the dual-OTA and the 722k is the only current way to get it.

Lloyd
Ok I am back over here.
Now one by one.
It isn't the way the website works. But one may interpret things that way.
The opne tv thing is not a factor. Although, a person entering the order may enter a 612 as the option. This can be changed on site and the work order modified.
By "you, to whom are refering?
I make these calls on behalf of the customer on site myslef. The last thing I want is my job and the pleasure of the customer wrecked by the main customer call center. We use the domestic tech call centers.
99% of customers do not subscribe ot both Dish and Direct. My mistake.
Now I do not see in your post that you only wanted one tv and one tv only, with the idea of also keeping your current provider. That is why I assumed the tech disconnected your DTV system. Next when yo ustated "take your stuff and leave", I had accepted that as the job had already been completed.

And for those that claim you can't get the equipment you want, well sometimes that is true especially if you already have Dish. But if you are a new, or returning from long hiatus from Dish, customer, you can specify what you want. But you may have to stick to your guns if they try to change that at install time.

This is not an absolute. That is your implication. IMO.
I also said I was glad you got the receiver you were wanted.
'Nuff said.
I digress.

I don't plan on keeping Direct, it just is still there for a bit. I think I said that in an earlier post.

And it appears that you handle the call in the same way my installer did. After things were in place and connected and initial testing complete, he called to get it authorized and that is when Dish balked a bit. But I knew, and he knew (installer) that what they were doing was chin music to see if I would let them do something different from my order. I stood firm, they did something on their end so the system would like it.

And yes, the configuration method at Dish's website is just like I said. If you show it only one TV and you want HD & DVR, the 612 is what it puts in there and there is no place to change that. But that isn't the only part that is a bit hosed. At the Dish main site, if you look at HD receivers you won't find any mention of the 722k at all.

I don't plan on keeping Direct, it just is still there for a bit. I think I said that in an earlier post.

And it appears that you handle the call in the same way my installer did. After things were in place and connected and initial testing complete, he called to get it authorized and that is when Dish balked a bit. But I knew, and he knew (installer) that what they were doing was chin music to see if I would let them do something different from my order. I stood firm, they did something on their end so the system would like it.

And yes, the configuration method at Dish's website is just like I said. If you show it only one TV and you want HD & DVR, the 612 is what it puts in there and there is no place to change that. But that isn't the only part that is a bit hosed. At the Dish main site, if you look at HD receivers you won't find any mention of the 722k at all.

99% of the installers i know will fight with the csr's for stuff. Espessially after a job has been installed. they want credit for it so theyll do what they have to do

Nope. I would have handled the changes BEFORE I did the work.
BTW, we have a policy in our shop in place that prohibits "substitutions".
In other words, if the customer wants something other than what is on the work order, we do not install.
Too many times I have read on here where a tech will install then tell the customer to call Dish and straighten it out themselves. That's a no no.
That is correct. The 722k is missing from E*'s website.
The receiver has been in use for about a year now. Weird

Nope. I would have handled the changes BEFORE I did the work.
BTW, we have a policy in our shop in place that prohibits "substitutions".
In other words, if the customer wants something other than what is on the work order, we do not install.
Too many times I have read on here where a tech will install then tell the customer to call Dish and straighten it out themselves. That's a no no.
That is correct. The 722k is missing from E*'s website.
The receiver has been in use for about a year now. Weird

Would you have done that on my install? The work order had the 722k as well as a 322. The only changes we made before he started the install we agreed to not do the 322 and only run to the single TV. The tech did call after he installed to scotch the 322 and told them it was a single TV. The single TV set off bells for them I guess. My installer handled it all in a professional manner and I ended up with what I ordered. He even got a tip and a cold soda! :)

So he's happy, I'm happy, and I don't care if Dish themselves are happy, that's just a business arrangement, nothing personal.

And it is weird that the 722k isn't on the website at all. The only place to find out is in one of the forums or word of mouth I suppose.

The Tech could have save himself some hassle by letting Dish assume he was hooking up 2 TVs to the 722. But, as you said earlier, he was relatively new. In time you learn to 'work' the CSRs by telling them what they need (or want) to hear.

Would you have done that on my install? The work order had the 722k as well as a 322. The only changes we made before he started the install we agreed to not do the 322 and only run to the single TV. The tech did call after he installed to scotch the 322 and told them it was a single TV. The single TV set off bells for them I guess. My installer handled it all in a professional manner and I ended up with what I ordered. He even got a tip and a cold soda! :)

So he's happy, I'm happy, and I don't care if Dish themselves are happy, that's just a business arrangement, nothing personal.

And it is weird that the 722k isn't on the website at all. The only place to find out is in one of the forums or word of mouth I suppose.

If I understand your question, No. I would have fixed the work order before doing the work.
Look, here's my procedure. I go over the install with the customer before taking a tool off my truck. Dish location, cable routing, placement and type of receivers.
OIf there are extras such has wall fishes or anyo other work not covered by the Basic Service Agreement, I cover that as well and explain any charges for said work.
For me, it is much simpler that way. For the customer it is better that everything is covered up front. This way he can go about his business and I , mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)