New Install--HD reception problems

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I have a tech coming out next week. Seems there was a problem with my new install that causes me to constantly have to aquire data on the HD channels. I have 2 dishes installed.

When I called Dish Suppport, they said I had a "strange issue" since my set-up shows I am getting 119, 110, 129, and 61.5. He said I should be getting either 129 OR 61.5, not both.

I get a red box with an X in it for 129 on the "System Info" screen, all other boxes are green. Also, in the "Point Dish" window, when I CAN get the HD channels, it shows 61.5 coming in with a strength of 97! It's only when the sytem, for whatever reason, is using 129 that the problems arise.

From what I understood from support, the technician will need to disable(?) 129 so that I only use 61.5.

Does all that make sense? I am concerned because my original installer kept saying how he "didn't know much about all this HD stuff."

Thanks!

i have both 129 and 61.5 with no problems. what is your signal for 129? when you go to signal strength menu.
also when you have 129 and 61.5 it will read 129 as primary satellite and if you have bad signal you will lose HD programing. if you will disconnect 129 and do a check switch and have 119, 110, and 61.5 there is a chance you wont get your local HD programing it's all depends where you are

Thanks, V.

Strength for 129 is around 30 at best-- when I can get it at all. The support guy thought is was really strange I got both. In fact, he had to put me on hold to talk to a more senior(?) person about the situation.

I get my locals OTA and that's fine by me for the forseeable future.

when signal gets to 45 or below that's when channels start to pixel. 30 signal strength you wot get much so just disconnect 129 live 61.5 and you will be fine but make sure you do check swith for the receiver to recognize that change

Is disconnecting 129 something I can do-- without going up on the roof, I mean.

Possibly, yes.

According to your checkswitch screen, is it showing a DPP44 switch? If so, then the 129 will come up as either #3 or #4 in the matrix. Just simply a matter of unscrewing said connection at the INPUT of your switch (don't even *think* about messing with the outputs unless you want to deal with severe and dire consequences).

For my switches, 3 of the 4 read: DPP1K.2

The last one reads "Dual"

The support guy on the phone had no idea what DPP1K.2 was...

I noticed that the big Terk switch that D* used is still in use for this install, but instead of 7 or 8 cables coming out of it, I only see 2 now-- looks like 1 going in and 1 coming out.

you have the new dish 1000.2 LNB there is no way to unplug 129 it is one LNB assembly 119, 110, and 129 on one bracket. call dish set up new apoitment when tech show up just say you wand dish 500 with DPP Twin and keep the 61.5 for HD

Volkodav-- That's EXACTLY what my installer suggested (He saw I had a trouble ticket and called me last night, which I thought was great service!).

I won't be "missing" anything going from the new 1000.2 to the older 500 with DPP Twin?

Also, will that be a problem with diplexing?( I have my OTA going into TWO 622s)

Last edited:
no, my understanding 61.5 have everything that 129 does because you cant get 129 in all states. no it will not effect diplexing

V-- Thanks a lot! You've really helped to put my mind at ease!

You wouldn't happen to have insight into my other question on this forum, would you?

I am curious as to why I notice SO MUCH more compression artifacts on my Dish signal than I ever saw with D*.

Even my OTA (which never had any that I could see before) shows artifacts from the 622. It's the only disappointing issue so far.

Last edited:
Well, the Dish installer came back and said that his boss told him to "puposely mis-aim" the dish so that 129 would not even be detected. That seems to be working... for the moment. It just doesn't seem like a great idea to me....

no it's not. why would any one do that? just swap the dish because if purposely mist aim dish it would bring signals down on 119 and 110 sats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts