New install, question, re: signal strength

SoxFan34

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
The second installer is here to do my install. ...very clear day today.

He said that the best signal I should expect to receive on the 129 bird is 70... with that being the best signal I can expect on a very clear day... is there anyway to know what I should expect on a bad/overcast day?

Should I expect to lose signal from the 129 often?

Thanks.

722, but the installer said that this is the first one he has ever installed.

Thanks.

...correction: we just got the 722 installed and it is showing a signal strength of 54 for 129... do you all think I am going to have issues with fading?

Thanks,

SoxFan34,

Dish changed the scale recently and looking at my 622 readings, 54 for 129 may be ok. Depends on which transponder. For instance on TP 31 my reading is 61, but for TP 27 its 48. With the satellite itself oscillating about every 20 minutes or so a reading of 54 on TP31 would be marginal, but if that same 54 reading was on TP27, I'd say you were in great shape. Every once in a while (not every 20 minutes) I will lose channels that are broadcast on TP27 (Rave, Monsters) for a few minutes. I'm in the Pacific NW and have the larger than usual 24" dish just for 129 to help the situation.

Being a new install, if you get dropouts on the 20 minute cycle or during cloudy days, call dish back for an improved aim. I think you get a 90 day warranty on the install. I wish I had more info, but hopefully it helps a bit.

Miner

OK... my new meter has the signal strength on 129 at 26.

How is that?

It is a perfectly clear day... I tried to talk the installer into tinkering with it a little, but he said to wait and see how it does.

26?!? Eeep...! Not much room for rain-fade, huh. If memory serves, 12 is the bottom end before signal goes altogether. Where are you located at? I know in some areas a separate dish is needed to pull in the 129 a bit bette.

You have 3 days from installation to cancel your contract with DISH without penalty. You can't get NESN and you won't get reliable HDTV with that 129 signal. Make a decision fast!!!

This seems on topic so I'll take a stab on this thread:

I have a 625 with the old metering system. Which transponders should I use to check 110 and 119?