New Install/Setup Question(s)

codee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Hey guys!

I currently have Comcast, but ordered a Dish System today from a local dealer. I will be receiving a 942, and 2 811s along with a dish 500, and then a 2nd dish on 61.5 for VOOM (2nd dish is also free since 1 local public radar channel is shown on it - VERY HANDY lol)

Anyways, I inquired about a OTA HD antenna and the dealer said that he would install anything else I wanted for free as long as I provided the items or bought them from him. So, I need to have him setup a OTA HD Antenna also. Besides the obvious OTA Antenna/Mount would I need a/Diplexer(s)? or would they run a feed from the antenna direct to that one receiver? Here's why Im even questioning it at all.

My current setup with Comcast has 4 Digital STB in my house - 1 in the living room, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in basement, and 1 in a bedroom upstairs plus analog cable on 2 additional TVs, and a jack with a Cable Modem on it. - As I understand it, The 2nd TV out on the 942 Receiver can be plugged into a Coax Home Distribution System. The Distribution system is how I intend to watch Satellite TV in the kitchen and the 2 TVs I currently have analog cable on. Luckily for me, Comcast has a Distribution Box on the side of my house that feeds each room plus the digital phone from the one main line. im thinking that the lines for everything except the cable modem jack and digital phone can be tied into the 942 2nd TV output via a splitter?

Now, If I use a Diplexer on the Dish side on the roof for the satellites and OTA Antenna, do I need a 2nd Diplexer on EVERY other receiver or just the one I intend to use for the HD Locals? I guess i don't know if the signal HAS to be split up again or if the combined signal can be plugged into the other 811 receivers. There will be a 811 receiver upstairs and 1 downstairs (chose the 811s for the Dolby Digital outputs).

The way I understand it, they will run separate feeds from the dishes to each room with a receiver, even though the 942 will distribute to all the TVs also for DVR Playback via the current comcast jacks?

Sorry if this is confusing/random questions here and there. Please ask if there is anything you are not clear on but could help with a more clear explanation. :)

Basically, If I have the installer put a Diplexer on the roof for the OTA Antenna and Dish, do I also need a Diplexer for each receiver or just the one I intend to watch locals on?

Thanks for any help/ideas anybody has!!!

just the ones you intend on watching locals on so if you intend on watch locals on all recievers than you will need 2 diplexers per receiver ( 1 for the outside and 1 for the inside.

t

So with 3 receivers, I would need 6 total correct? I understand where they go inside the house, but at what point do the get added on outside? does the Antenna get split 3 times also? That seems like it would be a lot of cabling/connections up there. In that case a 3-way splitter would then be required also?

I'm getting smarter already! After reading a lot more, I've learned that the 2 dishes goto a multiswitch and then there is 4 reciever outputs.

Now on to a more "advanced" (for me) question. With a Dish500, and a Dish300, going to a 942 and 2-811s, what switch(s) would I be recieving standard? Would it also have a OTA input on it as most aftermarket ones that I've seen do? I'd assume it has 3 SAT IN and 4 Reciever outs on it, the only question would be the OTA Input. I will also need 3 diplexers as far as I can tell for each box.

Thanks again!

The switch is more than likely to be a DP34. There is no OTA input on the DP34 switch. The antenna feed would have to added (diplexed) after the DP34 as it will not pass off air signals. It looks to me like you will have to split the antenna feed with a 3way splitter with each output feeding a diplexer. Looks like you will need 6 diplexers total. 2 for each 811 and 2 for the 942.

Theoretically could I use a Aftermarket Multiswitch? Best Buy has one that has 3 inputs (satellite Line A-13/14V, Antenna OR cable Input, and Satellite Line B-17/18V) and then has 4 Receiver outputs. Dynex model DX-MS102.
Does the Dish 500, and Dish 300 each have 1 single coax coming from it or would a combiner of some sorts be required in my proposed setup with Dynex switch?
I would still need a diplexer at each box of course but it seems like a lot less extra splitters/diplexers/cables outside exposed to the elements.

thanks!

Where could I find a diagram for the way my system would be setup? I do much better if I can see a visual of things :rolleyes: On the Dishnetwork site, they dont have specific install diagrams like I want to see.

I pretty much would like to see the install diagram for a dish500, and dish300 (assuming thats for the 61.5 satellite) going to a 942, and 2 811s (4 Satellite tuners total) incorporating the OTA HD Antenna to each box also.

Also, from my reading of the responses in this thread to this point, dish doesnt have a multiswitch/whatever they use that includes a OTA diplexer to each reciever output like the aftermarket ones do? I guess my main concern is that if I split the HDTV Antenna 3-ways and then send it to a diplexer from the DP34, and then the coax, and then a diplexer, and then more coax to the recievers that there would be some signal loss but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks again for all the help, I'd just like to have what I will need on hand as it is MUCH cheaper to order online then buying from the installer on the day of install or a local store (Best buy sells 1 RCA diplexer for ~$22, you can get 8 for ~$20 shipped on Ebay)

codee said:
... dish doesnt have a multiswitch/whatever they use that includes a OTA diplexer to each reciever output like the aftermarket ones do?
None of the Dish switches have an OTA input. The aftermarket switches you see only work with DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)