New installation: 119 good, no 110

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

barrypeterson

Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
This is a mobile setup on a tripod with no obstructions. My angles for 119 and 110 are the same, I have aimed at those correct angles and fine-tuned to get ~105 on 119 but don't seem able to get 110 at all, and we're missing some channels.

It might be something simple but I've tried all I can think of. Any suggestions?

barrypeterson said:
This is a mobile setup on a tripod with no obstructions. My angles for 119 and 110 are the same, I have aimed at those correct angles and fine-tuned to get ~105 on 119 but don't seem able to get 110 at all, and we're missing some channels.

It might be something simple but I've tried all I can think of. Any suggestions?

If you are using a Dish 500, I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the LNB mounting bracket on the end of the arm. Bought a new one from the "store", installed it and it works fine now.

Sounds more like the "wrong eye" problem.

Cover the 110 side with foil and aim at 119, then run Check Switch.

Don't forget to make sure the pole is plumb in all directions, and that your skew is set correctly.

Harry said:
If you are using a Dish 500, I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the LNB mounting bracket on the end of the arm. Bought a new one from the "store", installed it and it works fine now.

But... this is a new system, the installer made it work but my first attempt fails. I'm hoping to understand the theory behind this thing.

SimpleSimon said:
Sounds more like the "wrong eye" problem.

Cover the 110 side with foil and aim at 119, then run Check Switch.

Don't forget to make sure the pole is plumb in all directions, and that your skew is set correctly.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm more than a little confused;

What is "the 110 side"? I have two feedhorns but assume one isn't connected.

I adjusted azimuth, elevation, and skew for max signal, how can I only receive from only one satellite when they're at the same angles?

If A Tech Made It Work Before Then You Definantly Need To Check For Plumb Pole And The Elevation To Be Correct.
With These Two Items Corrected, Look For A Slightly Lower Signal And Then Perform Check Swicth. It Should Be There.
I Just Hope You Have A Dp Twin Otherwise This Will Take A While.
Those Damn Dirty Ape's At Dish Are Not Engineers.

You have to make sure your mounting mast is perfectly level and keep the skew and elevation exactly where the installer left it. If your mast is not level you will not be able to get 110 and 119.

DERRICK said:
If A Tech Made It Work Before Then You Definantly Need To Check For Plumb Pole And The Elevation To Be Correct.
With These Two Items Corrected, Look For A Slightly Lower Signal And Then Perform Check Swicth. It Should Be There.
I Just Hope You Have A Dp Twin Otherwise This Will Take A While.
Those Damn Dirty Ape's At Dish Are Not Engineers.

Well, I'm an electronics engineer with more years of experience than I care to admit, but satellite television is new to me although I have many years with microwave and radar.

I had adjusted azimuth, elevation, and skew for maximum signal but must have been pointed at 119. I have tried going off-target with no success so far in getting 110.

I have discovered (should have looked more carefully before) that the feedhorns are labeled 110W and 119W, are the radiation patterns offset?

What is "Dp Twin"?

Don't feel entirely bad Barry for I too am having a problem picking up 110. So far I've got 119 peaked and 129 coming in yet no 110. Basically it's reading 129, 119 and no 110. I've been talking to Bob about it and I think I'm going to lower the elevation then if that doesn't work bring it back to where it was and check the skew or I might do the skew first. I'm thinking it's the skew because of the fact I'm picking up 129 on the first port instead of the end.

I will try to offer some assistance, this forum really helped me. I have a tripod setup too and just used it saturday at a tailgate. Here is the description of a DP Twin--

The Dish Pro Twin LNB will give you the best performance - Less rain fade and superior signal. This Dish enables the reception of feeds from two satellite positions (110 & 119) at the same time, and supports up to 2 receivers. It has the capability of receiving up to 500 channels of digital and High Definition programming. The Dish Pro Twin LNB has a "built in" diseqc switch. No additional switches are necessary - connect your cable from the LNB directly to each receiver. This dish is perfect for use with all DP (Dish Pro) Dish Network receivers and FTA receivers (Pansat, Coolsat, Viewsat, Etc

You would connect the the left side with your cable which should be 119. Be sure everything is level. I use a magnetic level that mounts to the tripod. Make sure the skew and elevation are exact for your location. (you can type in your zipcode on install screen) Then use a compass to point the arm for your azimuth.

I usually recycle the power on the receiver (depress power for 10+ seconds) and then run a check switch first.
Then I will adjust the azimuth, (move dish slow--right to left) it helps if you have someone to assist. Once I lock in a signal, I then cycle through several transponders on 119 and check the signal. This seems to help and I don't know why. I have also noticed it helps to have at least 75% signal on 119, last sat I had 100%--after checking signal on several transponders, I then run my check switch again and this usually works to lock in my 110.

I have been able to setup the past two times in 5 minutes or less. When I first tried this, I could not get 110. (and I was not checking the other transponders or signal strength.) Good luck.

rowemance said:
You have to make sure your mounting mast is perfectly level and keep the skew and elevation exactly where the installer left it. If your mast is not level you will not be able to get 110 and 119.

But this is a mobile installation. The installer left it in Oklahoma, before I packed it away. (Now in southern Utah and soon to be in Arizona)

I'm mainly interested in perfecting a procedure.

You didn't say you were moving states away.

1st you will need to set up your tripod and make sure your mast is perfectly plum and secure.
2nd power up your receiver and go to the set screen and type in your new zip code for your location. Use these number to set your dish elevation and skew.
Now slowly move the dish and it should come in fine. Try and place your TV where you can see it.

rowemance said:
You didn't say you were moving states away.

1st you will need to set up your tripod and make sure your mast is perfectly plum and secure.
2nd power up your receiver and go to the set screen and type in your new zip code for your location. Use these number to set your dish elevation and skew.
Now slowly move the dish and it should come in fine. Try and place your TV where you can see it.

That's exactly what I've done, except for the TV part, but I have the meter and adjust for max. signal.

My guess/assumption is that the antenna beam pattern doesn't cover both satellites, but I've not yet got 110W. Does anyone know exactly what the positions of the two satellites are? (Is?)

You can receive 110 and 119 in any of the 48 states. You need to go into your set up menu and type in your new zip code for the area you are in Utah the satellite receiver will give you all information you are looking for.

rowemance said:
You can receive 110 and 119 in any of the 48 states. You need to go into your set up menu and type in your new zip code for the area you are in Utah the satellite receiver will give you all information you are looking for.

Yes, I have done that and have the numbers. I have 119 but not 110, which are at the same angles.

if they are the same angles, then skew is 90 (straight across)

Try Simon's tinfoil thing. Cover the right part of the "eye" (this is if you are looking from behind the dish...199 is on the elft and 110 is on the right (sue to the bounce off the dish)

birddoggy said:
on your dish, is there two seperate lnb's? (feedhorns?) or is it the two lnbs in one big plastic case?

There are two feedhorns, one is labeled 110W and the other 119W.

I believe there are two LNBs; we had planned for two receivers but changed our mind. I haven't taken the antenna apart, (yet) my wife panics when I attack something with screwdrivers and wrenches.

One of my thoughts is to see if connecting to the other output changes anything.

I'd like to thank those who contribute ideas and suggestions.

Sorry I don't have anything useful to add, but I had this same problem last weekend at my tailgate. I could pick up 119 and 129, but never got 110 to come in. Even though, I picked up 119 and 110 the night before at my house in 5 minutes, I couldn't get it at my tailgate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts