new locals

Jacobm69

Have you subscribed to the two locals (PBS and WHAG) that are available? Did you have to call to add them? Since it's only two of the five how much are they charging for them? Not the full $5 I hope.

(First post - lots of questions)

Lovin' life in the Salisbury DMA

those are not locals, they are imports, i dont care what dish calls them

This is the response i got:

DISH abruptly broke off negotiations with us two weeks ago and told me they would not be launching our stations, WBOC and FOX 21. You might want to contact them as I have repeatedly tried to get them to put our stations on satellite.

Craig Jahelka
Vice President & General Manager
WBOC-TV / FOX 21 / Interactive
1729 North Salisbury Blvd.
Salisbury, MD 21801
410-749-1111

My thinking is that they asked for way to much money, so dish is letting them sweat it out for a few weeks and then will come back in a while when they have come back to reality

Any word on the launch event dish was supposed to have?

ive emailed the reporter that did the original article, but no word back
i dont know where she got the info about it from

i was gonna try and go, but i have a charity thing @ 10am

This is the response i got:

DISH abruptly broke off negotiations with us two weeks ago and told me they would not be launching our stations, WBOC and FOX 21. You might want to contact them as I have repeatedly tried to get them to put our stations on satellite.

Craig Jahelka
Vice President & General Manager
WBOC-TV / FOX 21 / Interactive
1729 North Salisbury Blvd.
Salisbury, MD 21801
410-749-1111

My thinking is that they asked for way to much money, so dish is letting them sweat it out for a few weeks and then will come back in a while when they have come back to reality

exactly...If they wanted to be on Dish so damn bad why can't they agree to the same terms as all the other locals Dish has launched recently.

Off the top of my head I can think of 2 other markets where its the same thing (CBS and Fox subchannel) and that is Mankato, MN and Presque Isle, ME. Both are carried on dish now ;)

Tell me your secret Iceberg, I'm curious, do you polish your head and use it for a crystal ball? You seem to know everything

nope no secret. Just lots of reading here :)

Just making a point that Dish has agreed with 99.8% affiliates of the Big 4 Networks to carry them. There are only 2 markets where the locals (not stations being imported) are not available
Salisbury
Greenville, Mississippi

The difference between them is Greenville has their other locals (CBS & PBS) available. NBC is imported

Salisbury is screwed and only gets a imported station. From reading the letter the station has on their website they make it sound like they are dying to be on satellite. Yet when they are at the table making an agreement they wont agree to it.

I dont know the area but if its alot of rural where cable isnt an option you'd think they'd want to be on satellite for more eyes to see them...I mean after all they're ""As one of the most dominate local news casts in America" :rolleyes:

I know the market near me (Mankato, MN) the number of Directv dishes to Dish dishes around town is probably 7 or 8 to 1....why? Because Directv has carried the local station (Mankato only has one station...the rest come from Minneapolis) for 5+ years now. Dish started last week

I wonder if Draper (WBOC) is intentionally trying to sabotage Dish. I had heard they got a sweetheart deal from Comcast when they added Fox. This is supposedly how they were able to add the helicopter and Capt. Willie. Could it be that they get way more per subscriber from Comcast than they could ever get from Dish so they are trying to prevent defections by keeping the locals away from Dish?

Personally, I wish they would get rid of the stupid helicopter (do I really need to know the history of every town on Delmarva) and use the money to hire some decent reporting talent.

could be.... I remember about a year ago they started all those commercials about how satellite would not pick up their signal and Comcast was the only way to get locals (other than OTA)

could be.... I remember about a year ago they started all those commercials about how satellite would not pick up their signal and Comcast was the only way to get locals (other than OTA)

aahh the "wboc is and always will be free, all you need is an antenna" bs

What is interesting is in Mankato, MN it was just CBS when they launched on D* so D* folks get the other 3 from MInneapolis

KEYC (CBS) added Fox Mankato and D* still doesnt carry it....but since it came after locals were lit up I guess we keep it
Dish gets Fox Mankato

The D* folks got the better end of the deal as Fox Mpls is in HD.....Fox Mankato is 480 widescreen sometimes

Fox Mankato has Jewelry TV on weekends most of the day if no Fox programming :eek:

KEYC would have launched with Dish a few years ago but the "no distants or no imported locals" killed that

I wonder if Draper (WBOC) is intentionally trying to sabotage Dish. I had heard they got a sweetheart deal from Comcast when they added Fox. This is supposedly how they were able to add the helicopter and Capt. Willie. Could it be that they get way more per subscriber from Comcast than they could ever get from Dish so they are trying to prevent defections by keeping the locals away from Dish?

Personally, I wish they would get rid of the stupid helicopter (do I really need to know the history of every town on Delmarva) and use the money to hire some decent reporting talent.

I have a clip on antenna to my Dish antenna that gives me a better picture for locals than I get from Comcast. I have suspected a sweetheart deal with Comcast for a while, as back a couple of years ago, coincidentally just before the NFL season as I recall, WBOC/FOX21 announced that HD would only be available on cable, which, for most of their viewing area, is Comcast. They didn't start doing over the air HD broadcasts of Fox programming until the last year or so.

They still dont do OTA HD broadcast of Fox.... I sent an email asking why and they said it was because CBS is in HD, they dont have the capacity to also do FOX

In the Macon, GA, market, WGXA does Fox *and* ABC in HD. We all thought it would be a nightmarish mess when they announced they'd be picking up the ABC affiliation, but they've done a really good job. Of course, WGXA did buy the latest/greatest in statmux gear, and it took a bit to get it tweaked... it's still not perfect, but pixelization is rare these days.

WMGT does HD NBC and SD My... and both look horrible. WPGA (former ABC) carries Retro on one channel, This on the other... the This channel lacks audio... completely silent... on the 722K. And quality on both is marginal.

So 3 different stations in a single market carrying multiple channels... and 3 different results.

WGXA is proving it *can* be done.

They still dont do OTA HD broadcast of Fox.... I sent an email asking why and they said it was because CBS is in HD, they dont have the capacity to also do FOX

it can be done but in your market how is Fox transmitted OTA?

Mankato is CBS HD in 1080 and Fox in 480i widescreen for network stuff only. The rest of the time its black bar hell and no way to change that on the HDTV as 480i (for me) doesnt have the fill option

I've seen the NASCAR races in full WS on Fox 21 OTA & it looked fairly decent, but don't remember if they had CBS in HD at the time, so not sure if they kill HD on one for the other or not... sure sounds like something they'd do...

it can be done but in your market how is Fox transmitted OTA?

Mankato is CBS HD in 1080 and Fox in 480i widescreen for network stuff only. The rest of the time its black bar hell and no way to change that on the HDTV as 480i (for me) doesnt have the fill option

Fox 21 is a sub channel of the CBS HD, they broadcast on ch 21, but call 21.1 WBOC 16 and 21.2 Fox 21...

I have Verizon Fios just for my locals. I think, I reported this earlier but I found this interesting:

I live in Southern Delaware and just recently had Fios TV installed, local package only. I have one STB for non-Qam tuner HDTV and a direct connection to a compatible HDTV w/Qam tuner. I receive Verizon's published channels via its website on the STB but it’s an entirely different story with the direct connection. I receive about 35 channels from cities all around me: Baltimore, Philadelphia, Allentown, PA, New Jersey and spanish channels from California. They are WBOC, WFPA, WBAL, WTXF, WPVI, WPHL, WHYY, WLVT, V-Me, Create, qubo, ION, IONLife, Y arts, Y info, glbMind, Mind, ThisTV, and a few extra as well. Dishnetwork might pull off the same crap when they finally get everything straight.

These are the published channels that I receive with the STB:
ABC - WMDT HD Sussex HD
CBS - WBOC-DT HD
CW - WMDT-DT2-TV 3
FOX - WBOC-DT2 HD HD
NBC - WBAL-TV 11
PBS - WCPB-TV 28
PBS - WDPB-TV 12
Telefutura
Telemundo
Univision
WBAL DT HD
WBAL Plus
Weatherscan Local
WGN America

Its a fun filled experience when I watch TV, I have no clue what area I'm watching by the news. I have to actually look up the channel and location.

Last edited:
I've seen the NASCAR races in full WS on Fox 21 OTA & it looked fairly decent, but don't remember if they had CBS in HD at the time, so not sure if they kill HD on one for the other or not... sure sounds like something they'd do...
what happens when there is regualr programming (non Fox network)...do you have the bars on the side?

Fox 21 is a sub channel of the CBS HD, they broadcast on ch 21, but call 21.1 WBOC 16 and 21.2 Fox 21...

I'm aware of it. Mankato is the same way
CBS 12 HD on 12.1
Fox Mankato widescreen on 12.2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts