New member to FTA

Leever2000

Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I have been with Directv for a long time and ready for a change or at least look in to other possibilities. Prices always changing and usually without notice.

I live in an area where it is very difficult to get any normal network channels with antenna (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, OTA channels) without Directv have been thinking about FTA satellite setup. First priority is to get the normal network channels first and anything else would be great.

I really don't have any questions because I don't know enough to ask any, but I have been a member of the Satellite Guys since 2/9/2021 and have been reading a lot and learning. I know a satellite receiver, a satellite dish and the coax is required but that is about the extent. I wouldn't know where to go to get it and do not know what price is fair.

Thanks

Like Quote Reply

Reactions: c-spand
Thank you!
Any website recommendations where I can view/purchase a C band satellite system? What is the difference between a C Band and Ku band satellite system? Sorry about the simple questions!

Thank you!
Any website recommendations where I can view/purchase a C band satellite system? What is the difference between a C Band and Ku band satellite system? Sorry about the simple questions!
Welcome to Satellite Guys! Dedicated KU dishes are generally four feet diameter or less. C band is generally six foot and larger. If you go with c band I would not even consider a dish less than eight foot or you will be disappointed with the reults. Ten foot or larger is better. New dishes are not cheap but you might take a look at www.tek2000.com to see what they currently have. Keeping them in stock has been an issue with the health crisis. A better option would be to find an old, unused dish and refurb it. You will probably find it is better quality than most available today and you may be able to get it for free or at low cost just for removing it. :)

Thank you!
tek2000.com seems to be the place to go at this time if you want a new C-band antenna (or even Ku antennas). C-band dishes are generally much larger than Ku. C-band dishes can be used for both C and Ku but it's not recommended. Dedicated antennas would be a better choice, in my humble opinion.

Welcome to Satellite Guys! Dedicated KU dishes are generally four feet diameter or less. C band is generally six foot and larger. If you go with c band I would not even consider a dish less than eight foot or you will be disappointed with the reults. Ten foot or larger is better. New dishes are not cheap but you might take a look at www.tek2000.com to see what they currently have. Keeping them in stock has been an issue with the health crisis. A better option would be to find an old, unused dish and refurb it. You will probably find it is better quality than most available today and you may be able to get it for free or at low cost just for removing it. :)
I have to say that the performance of my TEK2000 12 footer is impressive even with the shipping damage. It was a challenge to assemble it though.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I appreciate the information looks like I need to find a satellite dish and I have a neighbor that has one. Doesn't appear they have used in the recent past. I think it is an 8' but could be wrong, my next opportunity I will talk to them and get the diameter. I also visited the TEK2000 website and viewed the 300cm (10ft) C/Ku-Band Prime Focus Mesh Satellite Dish.

Leever2000,

Welcome. This is a great site to have all your satellite dish questions answered.
Dont discount your neighbor’s dish if it turns out to be an 8 footer. Especially if you get it for a good price. I have an 8 footer I bought at Tek2000 a year ago. I use it for both C and kU band and I’m very pleased with its performance. A larger dish would be more advantageous though, for getting weaker signals.

John

TEK2000 just posted a message to TVROSat basically saying that they're going out of business. They have no more C-band dishes left in stock except for one 10 ft mesh.
That really sucks. I'm really getting fed up with buying a new dish and then they go out of business to where I can't get replacement panels or mesh. Unless someone picks up the ball and gives a good deal on dishes, the next major hail storm I'll be done with satellite TV. :mad:

NBC and PBS are on two different satellites where you can use the smaller Ku dish. For ABC and CBS you will need the bigger dish and a receiver like the Edision I use that you are able to stream to a computer in order to view the 4:2:2 broadcasts.
Also, be aware that these stations could move, be encrypted or even removed at any time so that is why we here are hobbyists and enjoy what we can while we can.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
TEK2000 just posted a message to TVROSat basically saying that they're going out of business. They have no more C-band dishes left in stock except for one 10 ft mesh.
That is why the only satellite dish I could see was the 10 ft mesh. I thought the site looked a little empty. Is there another reputable site?

That is why the only satellite dish I could see was the 10 ft mesh. I thought the site looked a little empty. Is there another reputable site?
I don't think are any consumer grade C-band dishes anywhere else. If you have deep pockets you could look at commercial grade dishes. The cheaper option would be to find a dish from someone that no longer use theirs. There's usually someone advertising on Craigslist.

And we still don't know yet what the full effects of the 5G repack will be on C-band.
No problem with that here, so far. Maybe I'll need to do something to filter any interference, maybe not. Relocating my dish to minimize interference would be problematic - not to mention cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)