New message this morning - haven't seen this before . . .

DNSTrainer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
St. Louis area
After just over a year of really solid performance from my two Hopper with Slling/one Joey setup, I got a bit of a curveball this morning.

Turned on the TV first, as I often do, and saw the message stating that my software was up to date, and it was downloading the guide. Nothing new, but I went ahead and pressed Select since the guide was only at about 80%. Nothing happened except the little screensaver started cycling through different messages about how I can protect recordings, or set limits on how many items are saved. Did that for a while, then the screen went blank. Stayed that way long enough to get me to do a red button reset.

Came back up with the "Hopper with Sling Starting Up . . ." message, and then it reset itself. So I tried the un-plug/re-plug reset, and actually left it unplugged for quite a while. Went through the Start Up messages, then I saw this 0610140840-00.jpg
Don't remember ever seeing that one before. Of course it started at 0%, but after it had been at 20% for some time, the receiver reset again. After that reset, I finally had a picture from my local Fox network, but still had the message overlaying the screen 0610140838-00.jpg

I experienced a few more resets as it reached 20%, then it finally went farther - I think as far as 70% - before resetting. As I type, the screen just froze, but it just jumped to 95%. Aaaand, it just went blank. And reset again.

Any thoughts, or similar experience from others? This one really has me stumped. By the way, I checked my other Hopper and its attached Joey, and they seemed to be working fine. I even checked the DVR list, and the first Hopper showed in the selection drop-down. I did not select it though, for fear I might mess up the process. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.

If you get the chance, offload everything from the internal drive to an EHD.

I assume you've checked all connections.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've seen that on my Hopper too. It's a new feature and I believe it shows up when a software update is downloading to the hard drive.

That message has been there as far back as I can remember. I remember when I first installed my Hoppers how it would get stuck on 95% until a reboot.

The (frequent) random reboots are not normal, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ds2600
I recently got a new "feature" that wiped out all my recordings and timers on my main hopper. Most of the good stuff was on an EHD so it's not a big deal, but it was a surprise for sure. Everything has been working fine since.

Thanks guys for replying.

The message noted above may be a "feature", but the accompanying behavior certainly is not. Along with the frequent re-boots, some of the menu screens (like Point Dish) don't completely load, and most responses to the remote are taking from several seconds up to minutes to happen. I had a long chat with tech support yesterday, and he concluded that I need a new Hopper. I've sent a message off to DIRT Zach in hopes that he can help me figure a way to off-load at least some of my recordings, as I would really hate to lose them all.

I recently got a new "feature" that wiped out all my recordings and timers on my main hopper. Most of the good stuff was on an EHD so it's not a big deal, but it was a surprise for sure. Everything has been working fine since.

In case that ever happens again, try rebooting instead of clicking "OK". (Assuming you're talking about the message that says that your recordings have been lost, hit OK to reformat the disk.)

That "new feature" may be there to point out that you have been wasting too much time watching TV. You need to go do something else once in a while.

I was at the San Diego county fair yesterday and one fellow in the Dish booth had never heard of anyone who actually had two Hoppers or more than one EHD. He could not understand why anyone would.
The fellow at the Direct booth said with the Genie you get 5 tunes and a huge hard drive, no one needs two DVRs. When I said one Terabyte was tiny and was it possible to connect EHDs while still using the internal drive he was stumped.

I agree. If it was costing me more than 30 bucks a month it would all be gone. My new plan is to get this ps4 referral deal before I cancel for good. I find myself going days without even turning the tv on.

I agree. If it was costing me more than 30 bucks a month it would all be gone. My new plan is to get this ps4 referral deal before I cancel for good. I find myself going days without even turning the tv on.

If you get the referrals You might as well keep Dish for a while and take advantage of the $15 a month you'd be saving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)