Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Recently, I installed a 90cm motorized dish project on the roof of the shop. From assembly to aimed, tracking, peaked from 61w to 125w and walking away, 2 hours and 30 minutes! :biggrin

Here is a wide shot of the roof with the finished project.
NPRM_1.JPG

To hit the Eastern satellites lower than 75w, the dish needed to be placed near the peak of the roof, but could not be placed where it would be seen from the public parking lot. I did a site survey last summer and decided if the dish was mounted on top of the stub (parapet) walls of the air conditioning cuddy, it would see an unobstructed range from approximately 61w to 160w.

In storage I had collected a VMP 166 NPRM (non pen roof mount), GEOSATpro 90cm dish, SG6100 motor, Titanium KS1PLL KU LNBF, 16' pressure treated 2x6, 5' pt 2x4, 3 - nail plates, and 4 - 90 degree corner brackets. I was almost ready to go, but first had to "fix" the new SG6100 to prevent the tube from flopping. Removed the tube from the motor and inserted several metal shims before remounting and "over-tightening" the bolt. The slop is gone. Too bad the factory doesn't know how to produce the SG6100 without this manufacturing error! BTW... what is the ridiculous counter LED for? Worthless eye candy that has no function... :D

With the chop saw I cut the 2x6 down to length with angled ends to create a triangle. Used the nail plates to join the corners. Strengthened the long leg of the 2x6 frame with a vertical 2x4 screwed to the bottom side. Placed the triangle frame over the stub wall metal flashing cap screwed the 90 degree angle brackets on the inside and outside of the 2x6 frame to minimize the chance of the assembly sliding off the stub walls.

Next came the hardest part of the process, hauling the assembled non-pen and 8 cement blocks 18' up to the roof with a rope.... hand over hand.... without damaging the gutters. I evidently need to work out more! I would die if I was laying blocks for a living! :coco Used lag screws to attach the NPRM onto the wood frame.

NPRM_2.JPG

NPRM_4.JPG

NPRM_3.JPG

NPRM_5.JPG

For safety, I installed a stainless steel wire rope line from the NPRM to an eyehook in a wall stud about 3' below in the dish.

Now its time to enjoy!

Last edited:
You are a satellite company, and you don't want your dishes seen from the parking lot? lol.

The shop is open to visitors, but mostly it is my professional man-cave with warehouse, shipping, test and development bench, office, toy storage and audio studio.... :) The owner keeps up the property very well and I am next to the library and downstairs from the town grocery store (very visible from mine). They preferred that the dishes were not visible from the grocery store lot. Not a typical commercial space or strip mall. I love the space and respect the neighbors. Glad they let me put the 10' and a few other projects out!

you never struck me as one who bragged LOL :)

Not always humble... :D

But seriously, if you are prepared, have a plan, the stars align and everything goes right....
Motorized installs can sink you without the right tools, attitude and a bit of luck!

Looks great! Love it when things go as planned.

Reactions: Titanium
I see one block is not 'in' the nprm. Is There A Particular Purpose?
KISS? Think I would have just lag bolted the nprm to the parapet. with a bunch of silicone.
But then again, I didn't [have to] deal with the proprietors.

I wanted as much weight as possible, but felt the block on the overhanging part of the NPRM frame might distort the frame and start pulling the pole out of plumb. I tried to stack on top of the first layer, but it kept getting in the way when adjusting the motor. Made sense to place the remaining block on the wood base as the NPRM was lagged. Will likely haul-up one more block for the other side.

MIC (Make It Complicated) - The management allows us to use NPRM and only attach the safety lines into the structure. Otherwise, I would have just mounted a standard base plate, J-pole and support legs directly to the building.

Status
Please reply by conversation.