New NASA UHD channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Update, Latest PleX update has restored the Roku 4 solution, but the earlier version I recommend still starts playing instantly, where as the newer version takes longer to load.

Reactions: fred555
Update: Today I received my K1 Plus receiver and for the first time I can watch NASA UHD without pauses or stutters. :)

I don't have a UHD TV yet, but the K1 Plus displays it fine on a 1080P display.

Purchased it for $66 (including shipping) through AliExpress and it took about 3 weeks to arrive. The DVB software on the K1 Plus leaves a lot to be desired, but it works and its hard to beat the price! Until something better comes along, this is definitely the cheapest and easiest way to watch NASA UHD.

Guess I should have posted my K1+ NASA test in this thread! Definitely an inexpensive solution!

The UHD HEVC 10 bit channels blind scanned in and no parameters to tweak. Works out of the box.
Does it support 4K @60hz output?

Can anyone confirm the K1 Plus will output 4K@60Hz? Or at least 4K@30Hz?
Sure. Send me your 4K TV and I'll be happy to try it. :biggrin2

Anyway, back to reality.... That is an excellent question as it would not surprise me if the output is actually 1080P.

Maybe Titanium (Brian) has a 4K TV to try with his K1+?

I finally tested on a friend's 4K as I had a problem with a display I purchased and decided to waIt to buy again as the prices are dropping fast (and I wanted a UTV this summer... LOL)..

The output registration auto set to 1080p and had to be manually set on the K1+ then the display auto synced as 3840 X 2160. NASA and the promo channels looked great and the 1080p DVBS2 was very good, but the IP (Kodi, etc.) up res was not good. It looked much better at 1080 or 720.

Reactions: N6BY
Good to know this new video format may plan on getting K 1 Plus receiver!:hungry

I wont be suprised to see new feeds in 4k video modes comes on Ku band in the future....

Guess I should update for anyone stumbling upon this thread, NASA has moved this UHD channel over to Galaxy 13 @ 127w 3920 V 28068. Although getting close to my neighbors tree everything still works as described.

Worth noting they have actually moved all of their content to this satellite. Although the NASA UHD documentation still states the original specifications they have updated the info at nasa.gov to reflect the new specifications for the full time public and media channels. The education channel has been merged with the public channel so there is no longer a stand alone standard definition edu channel.

EDIT: It appears that the information is now correct (with the exception of "each LIMS event on a satellite in proximity of AMC18 whenever possible." may not be correct) on NASA's side but Harmonic has still not updated their information.

NASA Information can be found at: http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-tv-on-satellite-galaxy-13

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST and N6BY
I am curious to know if the UHD channel has regular content now or is it still in "demo/eye candy" mode? (I would check, but I'm using my dish for L-Band experiments right now).

Reactions: BigRyan
I am curious to know if the UHD channel has regular content now or is it still in "demo/eye candy" mode? (I would check, but I'm using my dish for L-Band experiments right now).
Still eye candy on rotation, but they have added a few new episodes though. I will try to get an updated episode list and post back.

Reactions: N6BY
Even in eye candy mode, I like the channel. I wish they would show more launches in UHD though as opposed to the aerial views from ISS. It would be cool to see how the astronauts live in 4K and them even operating on the ham bands in 4K!

Not sure what the deal is with the NASA UHD channel, today all I am getting is a black screen. BUT it is a black screen with the following:

Video: HEVC 3840x2160 59.94fps [V: hevc main, yuv420p, 3840x2160]
Audio: MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 64kbps [A: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 64 kb/s]

So, its clearly still there but actually broadcasting a black screen. Anyone else confirm this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts