New NBC in Boston...on the old channel?

The Fat Man

aka. Dr. Fat Man
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
Being honest, I passed out on my couch last night after a long night of celebrating New Year's. I woke up and noticed that WBTS (Boston's new NBC O&O as of today) was not playing it's newscast that the guide stated, but it was playing infomercials instead. Also, it was playing advertisements from the old affiliate, WHDH.

I switched to the OTA channel, which is not the same as the Dish channel. The news was playing. So, I switched to the WHDH's channel, and it turns out that Dish swapped WHDH and WBTS's channel locations.

I'm sure it's a mistake. When can we expect this to be fixed? Also, thanks for messing with my head on a very hung over New Year's Morning.

Last edited:
I'm seeing the same thing here. Dish channel 7 showing WBTS programming with WHDH guide data, and Dish 10 showing WHDH programming with WBTS guide data. I went through last night and changed all of my NBC timers to the new channel, they're not going to work until this is fixed.

I was wondering how long it would take them to sort out PTAT with this channel change, if they would be able to just quickly swap the NBC channels. Right now, my guide shows it will record channel 7 on PTAT tonight. Which if it's actually showing channel 10, means it will record NBC correctly, but will have the wrong guide data.

Day two, the guide data seems to be straightened out though Channel 7 is incorrectly labeled as Telmundo. The new Channel 10 is correctly labeled NBC.

However the guide in the DishAnywhere app is not right. The new Channel 10 does not appear at all. The guide data is correct on Channel 7 but it is still is labeled NBC.

I take that back, guide data is incorrect for Channel 7 on the DishAnywhere app. I wonder why? Isn't that data from Tribune like the receiver guide data ?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Two Dish reps were unhelpful today (Newsflash? Not!). I have an OTA tuner on my Hopper. I can get WBTS on Dish channel 10 and on OTA channel 60. The guide info for Ch 10 is good, and I replaced my old Ch 7 timers with Ch 10 ones. But the guide info for OTA Ch 60 is all multi-hour blocks that just say "WBTS". The first rep said the info comes in OTA from the station. My TV's built-in tuner says otherwise, as it displays plenty of PSIP info for Ch 60 and all the others. The second rep blamed NBC, saying Dish will display the correct guide info when NBC delivers it. I started to explain that the info is already available, OTA, in the PSIP from WBTS, but he started to fight with me, so I chose to end the call.

The OTA guide data will always be off for WNEU (60.2) and WMFP's retransmission of WBTS (60.5). Dish doesn't pick up guide data for most digital subchannels. The main channels are, for 60.2: WNEU-Telemundo (60.1) and for WBTS on 60.5: WMFP (62.1). Remember, WBTS over the air is actually a low power station broadcasting on channel 8.1. Channel 10 is where NBC and most Satellite and Cable provides agreed to place the channel. It is not over the air on Channel 10, as that channel is alloted for a Rhode Island station, which I believe is an NBC affiliate.

It's the same as when the Nevada station used the no VHF frequency rule to move to Channel 3 in New York, but there was to be channel sharring with Channel 3 (PSIP) out of Connecticut. Where both channels would show up on Channel 3 through PSIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)