NEW OUTDOOR ANTENNA INSTALLATION

wcalifas831

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
CALIFORNIA
hi guys, I just purchased an outdoor antenna to get clear hd channels in my area with an over the air antenna. I purchased a deep fringe antenna that measures 15 feet in length. My question is regarding the installation and whether you guys think it will withstand wind, although my area doesn't normally have thunderstorms or high winds. The antenna that I bought is this one from the link: AntennaCraft HD1850 Heavy Duty VHF / UHF / FM TV HD TV Antenna Outdoor 84 Element Off-Air Local High Definition Digital Signal HDTV Television Aerial, BLUE ZONE, Part # HD-1850 | With Coax Cable: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, T

I will be using an eave mount to install it, and the model is specified in this link: Antenna Gable Eave Mount Heavy Duty 60" - 40" Adjustable Satellite Mast Off-Air Outdoor HDTV Aerial Support, Rohn Replacement, Part # PVEM1: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Satellite, Cable, DSS

Do you guys think this will be a good way to install this type of antenna? I just don't want to spend that money and some time later end up with my antenna flying off the mast. I guess the antenna weighs about 16 lbs. Let me know what you guys think.

How high is the eve from the ground? It would be better if the mast went all the way down to the ground or in the ground for better support.

The weight isn't what you need to worry about. Wind resistance is what will do the damage over time. Don't try and mount it on a windy day or you will instantly discover how much of a sail you have with that size antenna.

This is a gable mount as opposed to a eave mount and as such, should be much stronger. You should ask Summit Source what they think.

I'd use a pretty short mast to reduce the bending moment.

You might be better off building a wooden support off the wall to give you a little more distance between the supports if your roof has a shallow pitch.

Why on earth would you buy a VHF/UHF YAGI antenna that size? How many VHF channels do you intend to pick up? There are much better UHF antennas out there, and with the DTV transition moving most channels to the UHF band, I wouldn't want to put my house's carpentry to the fire like that.

I don't mean to be rude, I just want to make sure that you're buying the right antenna.

What part of CA do you live or what's your zip? I agree with the above that there may be better, smaller antennas out there that will do the job that won't be so top heavy. I have a CM 4228 antenna in CA that does a pretty good job on everything.

California is a big place. Sometimes you need the decidedly directional pattern of a yagi.

My sister lives in San Mateo and I don't think they can pick up much of anything from SFO or SJC without multiple tanked antennas.

Some of my local stations are moving back to VHF on the 17th. So a V/UHF antenna is a must for me :)

Why on earth would you buy a VHF/UHF YAGI antenna that size? How many VHF channels do you intend to pick up? There are much better UHF antennas out there, and with the DTV transition moving most channels to the UHF band, I wouldn't want to put my house's carpentry to the fire like that.

I don't mean to be rude, I just want to make sure that you're buying the right antenna.

The gable mount will work with a large antenna. I had a Channel Master 3671 on a 5 ft mast up for about 5 years with no problems. What I did was angle cut and nail 2 by 4's to the gables then mount the hardware on the 2by4's. This way I could move the bottom support down an additional foot or so providing more support. We do get occasional hard north winds here and like I said it was up for 5 years without problems.

If you have not bought this antenna yet do your homework and see if it is the best fit for the channels you will need to get after the conversion, and what you need for your area. I ended up upgrading my CM for a Clearstream C4 and actually got better results with an antenna that is about 10% the size of the Channel Master.

anyone out there

anyone out there have the antennacraft hd1850? I'd like to know how they mounted it and what kind of performance they received from it. I'd be appreciative for the help, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts