New PBS kids channel

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
WNGH, (PBS) Chatworth GA, (North Georgia) is now showing channel 18.4, PBS kids channel test bars. Channel showed up on my tv just today.
18.1--PBS
18.2--Create
18.3--Knowledge (World part time)
18.4--kids (when launched)
I'm excited for the quality of programming offered on these channels. While I have no kids, I'm sure a lot of parents will enjoy the new channel and all the stations are much clearer and crisper on OTA vs cable!!

Zee bree, if whatever channel the kids is replacing is on cable, then yes. Example: LPB 24.2 Encore is on Cox 122 in the Lafayette Louisiana area so when Kids replaces it on 24.2 next Monday then it will replace it on Cox 122.

But its not going to be on national cable/satellite like Disney, Nick Jr? How is qubo on both OTA and national satellite/cable?

KCPT-4, PBS Kids test card , just lit up today. They've significantly reduced the bandwidth of the main PBS channel, which is disappointing. KCPT-2 has a higher throughput than KCPT-1 now.

KCPT-1: 5mbps
KCPT-2: 7mbps
KCPT-3: 4mbps
KCPT-4: 1.5mbps

kcpt-4.jpg

KCPT-4.png

Thanks about KC area but need up dated QAM channels Numbers for KC area Cable Systems like CCI because TV listings don't update Lineups when you go to schedule for like 16th because channel isn't live yet.

On Louisiana Public Broadcasting the DT2 except for WYES and WLAE, is shared by PBS Kids (for 3 hours) and the rest by PBS Encore. The DT2 will be kids 24/7. I assume the .1 will be shared with regular broadcasting and the Encore....

PBS Kids is on the x.4 sub-channel of Kentucky Educational Television (KET) stations. This is a new sub channel to most KET stations. Be sure to re scan your locals. PBS Kids will be available on cable in most of KY via KET service.

Last edited:
Finally, a confirmation in the other direction. WCVE/WHTJ (Richmond/Charlottesville, VA) confirmed on Facebook that they will NOT be carrying PBS Kids. Perhaps down the road they'll consider adding it to WCVW which has no subchannels.

- Trip

Reactions: comfortably_numb
How do they differentiate between PBS Kids on PBS and the PBS Kids 24/7 channel? (Isnt the main PBS channel still going to have kids programming) Like on Facebook promos for PBS Kids say 'Wild Kratts tonight at 7pm on PBS Kids' this facebook page is for PBS Kids on PBS. They just say on PBS Kids. But the main PBS has a different schedule than the 24/7 channel.
Also what is the name of the new 24/7 channel? Do different networks put a name on the channel like 'WPSU Kids channel'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts