New Pistons Coach: John Kuestner

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
After attempts at Doug Collins and Avery Johnson, the vacant head coaching spot in Detroit is reportedly Kuestner’s. Kuestner is widely considered to be the man responsible for the improvement in the Cavaliers’ offense under Mike Brown. Per [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4311090"]Sources: John Kuester of Cleveland Cavaliers to be Detroit Pistons' coach - ESPN[/ame]

“Dumars’ comfort level with Kuester and his desire to inject Detroit’s offense with some new ideas after reaching verbal agreements to sign Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva appear to have trumped his earlier call for more experience.”

It's John Kuester, who is a former Tar Heel. Another descendant of the Dean Smith coaching tree. This will make 3 former Tar Heels as NBA coaches. Unfortunatley the Pistons job totally sucks now, but I wish him luck anyway, he'll need it.

Bad, bad news for the Cavs. Kuestner was the one responsible for transforming the Cavs offense this past year. Big loss indeed.

It's John Kuester, who is a former Tar Heel. Another descendant of the Dean Smith coaching tree. This will make 3 former Tar Heels as NBA coaches. Unfortunatley the Pistons job totally sucks now, but I wish him luck anyway, he'll need it.

Its not a 50 win team right now, but they still have some solid players, its transition time for sure

Well...there are certainly a lot worse choices. It will be an uphill battle given the current Pistons team, but I am willing to see how he does. Anyway, this is still an upgrade over their previous coach who is gone and forgotten.

Well...there are certainly a lot worse choices. It will be an uphill battle given the current Pistons team, but I am willing to see how he does. Anyway, this is still an upgrade over their previous coach who is gone and forgotten.

This move makes sense for a variety of reasons.....

1. Keustner will accept a 2 year deal for the monetary terms budgeted by the Pistons. From what I hear, other coaches of past experience including Avery Johnson wouldn't have settled for the same.

2. Keustner has been a successful assistant to the Cavs for the past couple years. Since he took over, he transformed our offense into becoming noticeably better under his watch.

3. Keuster has been around the game of Basketball for a while. He started his life in the NBA as a point-guard under Dean Smith at UNC. He proceeded to play 3 seasons in the NBA before getting into coaching. Keustner coached at the college ranks for 3 separate schools (U of Richmond, Boston U and George Washington). After that, Keuster has bounced around as an assistant in the NBA between 7 separate teams. This next step as a Head Coach was the next logical progression for Keuster.

4. This move by the Pistons is a counter move of sorts. Not only do they get an up-and-coming coach who's proven to be a successful offensive mind (which the Pistons have lacked in the past), but they also take away a key-cog from a rival Central Division opponent.

5. Coming from a Cavs fan, I must say that you got yourself a coach who's plenty capable. I'm confident he'll be a vast improvement over Michael Curry.

This move makes sense for a variety of reasons.....

1. Keustner will accept a 2 year deal for the monetary terms budgeted by the Pistons. From what I hear, other coaches of past experience including Avery Johnson wouldn't have settled for the same.

2. Keustner has been a successful assistant to the Cavs for the past couple years. Since he took over, he transformed our offense into becoming noticeably better under his watch.

3. Keuster has been around the game of Basketball for a while. He started his life in the NBA as a point-guard under Dean Smith at UNC. He proceeded to play 3 seasons in the NBA before getting into coaching. Keustner coached at the college ranks for 3 separate schools (U of Richmond, Boston U and George Washington). After that, Keuster has bounced around as an assistant in the NBA between 7 separate teams. This next step as a Head Coach was the next logical progression for Keuster.

4. This move by the Pistons is a counter move of sorts. Not only do they get an up-and-coming coach who's proven to be a successful offensive mind (which the Pistons have lacked in the past), but they also take away a key-cog from a rival Central Division opponent.

5. Coming from a Cavs fan, I must say that you got yourself a coach who's plenty capable. I'm confident he'll be a vast improvement over Michael Curry.

But wasn't he an assistant under Larry Brown in Detroit?

This is our latest sacrificial lamb. This is a team in transition, barring injuries, we'll be still be in the playoffs, but we're going nowhere next season. Dumars isn't done with the personnel changes yet. Collins and Johnson couldn't come to agreement with Dumars, and trust me, despite what the media says, this was not about money. It was about say so in personnel. My guess is that this guy was willing to toe the "Dumars line", and the money and contract length were just icing on the cake for Joe.

Nobody stays the Piston's coach very long. In two years Dumars will be hiring another head coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)