New Portland HD's really choppy

grizduck

Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
I saw the thread on here about the Portland HD's. I get them but they're really choppy. Do I need to adjust something, reboot, or is this normal

HookedOnTV said:
Just tuned in to KATU (ABC) and the lipsync is off.
I have frequent audio sync problems with the Chicago locals (primarily NBC) and haven't found any way to fix it. I'd honestly prefer my SD locals back over the audio sync problems that I have.

HookedOnTV said:
Didn't have a chance to give the others a look over, just switched over to OTA. Will take a closer look tonight.

I noticed later in the evening the lip sync was only on ABC... and apparently Seattle had the same problem.. so it could have been a network issue.

NightRyder said:

NightRyder
Cool. I upgraded from 942 to 622 on Monday and I wanted the installer to re-point my 2nd dish from 62.5 to 129 thinking that the local HD channel will be on 129. He didn't do it and argued that the HD locals would be coming from 110 or 119 and also that the 129 signal was unrelieable. I was skeptical, but now I guess he was right.
I don't have any problem with the OTA reception but now with the HD locals coming from the bird I can record 2 local channels at the same time :cool:

Last edited:
Walter L. said:
Cool. I upgraded from 942 to 622 on Monday and I wanted the installer to re-point my 2nd dish from 62.5 to 129 thinking that the local HD channel will be on 129. He told me that the locals would be coming from 110 or 119 and told me that the 129 signal was unrelieable. I was skeptical but now I guess he was right.
I don't have any problem with the OTA reception but now with the HD locals coming from the bird I can record 2 local channels at the same time :cool:

Yeah we got lucky with 110. :) I can't see 61.5 from my location, I wish I knew how Dish was planning to address the 129 mess.

NightRyder

Last edited:
pdxsam said:
What do you mean too small?

On my system the 4x3 aspect ratio shows are closer to 2x3 - way too narrow. I haven't had the chance to look at any widescreen shows yet as I just noticed this morning that the HD local channels from Dish were working.

Last edited:
Dave Lewis said:
On my system the 4x3 aspect ratio shows are closer to 2x3 - way too narrow. I haven't had the chance to look at any widescreen shows yet as I just noticed this morning that the HD local channels from Dish were working.

Interesting... haven't noticed that. On KATU there's been lip synch issues and KOIN is a bit grainy but otherwise they're watchable.

Sam

Dishwait Shuffle for PDX?

So here's my $64 question.....well maybe more like $299 question.

I've got an old 6000 HD receiver, is it worth the effort to upgrade
to PDX locals with a 622, or will I just be frustrated with the MPEG4
quality issues? Seems like I'm always doin' the Dishwait shuffle.

Locals on SD look pretty good.

Birkoff

After a re-boot of my 622, the choppiness went away and everything seems to be working great. It sure is nice to have the Satellite Local HD channels as I am about 50 miles away and OTA is unreliable.

Anyone else notice the aspect ratio on KPTV (FOX) is messed up (50% too narrow)? I have to set my receiver to stretch mode for 4:3 or 16:9 to look right. This is the only channel I have this problem with.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)