• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Every time I come to the site it now shows everything posted since 11/26 as a new post. I've tried deleting cookies for the site but this doesn't help. Any ideas?

Bob

Still have a problem? The site now shows everything posted since 12/06 as a new post unless I specifically went into a particular thread. I can now look in a forum and see unread threads going back to 12/06 even though I've come to the site each day since then. The forums show unread threads going back to 12/06 with any threads I've gone into showing as having been read. This is very different from how it worked before the recent upgrade. Before the upgrade alll threads were marked as read if they were posted prior to my last leaving the site. Is this change deliberate or a problem? Do I maybe need to change on of my user options?

Bob

bobl said:
Any idea regarding the problem mentioned above with posts not being marked as read?
Bob
use the markread link on the quicklinks menu, and all will be better.

Ler (or others),

What's changed here, if anything, with the recent upgrade related to marking posts as read? Prior to the upgrade all posts were automatically marked as read when I left the site or more likely some short time after leaving the site. Now you're saying I have to mark all posts as read manually each time I leave the site? This is an additional step that wasn't necessary previously and isn't necessary on any of the sites which are similar to this one. Is this how the site now operates for everyone?

Bob

I'm using IE 6. Logging in today shows unread posts prior to yesterday morning when I last logged in as confirmed by this site's information regarding my last visit.

Bob

I'm also having to manually mark the forums as read. I'm on Firefox 1.5 and don't allow 3rd-party cookies.

alternate view

It's a shame there isn't more user control of the situation.

I actually like seeing all the new posts in bold when I return to the forum.
It lets me know if I have read all entries and am up to date with a particular thread.

I leave my computer up for weeks at a time, with one tab of FireFox on this site 24/7.
Generally, I'll scroll through the forum at least once a day (for the departments of interest).
I visit more often if I get an email notice of someone posting to a thread I've subscribed to.
Maybe it's different for someone who only visits once a week....(?)

Anyway, I was under the impression that the server unmarked everything at midnight, based on not-so-careful observation.
I have FireFox, and however it's currently working seems fine for me.
Keep up the good work.
:)

The only software blocking program I'm using is IE's pop-up blocker. Again, I've changed nothing on my system since this site was updated but the marking of unread posts to read has definitely changed since the upgrade.

Bob

Anole said:
I actually like seeing all the new posts in bold when I return to the forum.
It lets me know if I have read all entries and am up to date with a particular thread.
This is also why I very much appreciate the current behavior. There are times I'm not able to get through all the unread threads in a single sitting. Also, in previous versions of the software, there would be times when I took too long composing a reply and return to the list of unread threads to find there no longer were any. This saves me from having to figure out which threads have unread content and trying to find where that starts in each thread. :up :up

its always done this for me. even on the old sw.

If I want to kill off the new posts, I need to hit th markread menu.

LER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts