New problem with TV2 Aspect Ratio

You're missing the point entirely. The problem is in single mode.

And yes...it's back again this morning.

If you go to single mode you need to change the aspect on TV2 on the tv its self. On my Sharp I have to change it from Side Bar to Stretch. This is because the second TV is setup to view a 4:3 in the dual mode.

If you go to single mode you need to change the aspect on TV2 on the tv its self. On my Sharp I have to change it from Side Bar to Stretch. This is because the second TV is setup to view a 4:3 in the dual mode.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but you're really not understanding what we are saying. THE TV2 OUT ON THE 622 DOES NOT FUNCTION THE SAME WAY AS IT DID IN THE LAST SOFTWARE VERSION. It has never output a letterboxed picture in single mode until this update.

That said, now that I am used to it, I actually like it better this way. It's actually easier to get a proper aspect ratio on a 4:3 TV, and I can still switch it back to the old way once or twice a month to record anamorphic programming.

However, if I had a widescreen TV hooked up to TV2 as the original poster does, I would be very angry. There is now no way to output a proper widescreen image from TV2 now without jumping through menu hoops everyday. Personally, if I was trying to drive a widescreen, I'd probably be hooking up some component baluns and send a real HD image back to my bedroom. But the original poster was using a cost effective method that worked and has every reason to complain that DISH has broken that function. The ability to output a genuine anamorphic image over an SD signal path has always been a strength of the 622, but that has been ruined.

The fact that it can be reverted back by goofing around with an unrelated menu makes me think that they were playing with ADDING some functionality to TV2, but it wasn't ready and it wasn't supposed to be part of this software release. Also, it acts very strangely..Zoom, Stretch, and Grey Bars are all exactly the same, and it acts even odder on an SD channel. (Cycling through the aspect ratios simply makes the picture zoom in and out slightly.) While I would love to have the option to switch between anamorphic, letterboxed, and centercut mode on TV2, at this point, it must be treated as a software bug. If they can ever figure out how to make it work correctly, I'd welcome it.

I had the problem last week, haven't used TV 2 since, so I don't know if it is back. I kept cycling through the * button over and over and it fixed it, at the time.

Same problem. I use s-video to feed my htpc. For the past few days the aspect ratio has been stretched first thing in the morning. Toggling the * does not solve the problem. The solution has been changing the setting in "HDTV Setup" from 16/9 to 4/3 then back again.

This is definitely a new bug that occurs when the receiver resets at night.

Ken

Maybe this thread should be merged with the 621 thread.

Wouldn't the 621 be incapable of having the same problem? Doesn't it only have one output?

EDIT- HA! You mean software version 621, don't you. Did they even make a 621 receiver?

When I used my TV 2 today the problem had returned, like everyone else. I tried toggling * again, but nothing. What fixed it for me was swapping tuners a few times and toggling. Guess tomorrow I'll have the same issue.

This new way of operating works better for me, I have a 4x3 TV at the TV2 location and it was always stretched vertically before in single mode or on the TV1 channel. If I had a 16x9 TV there I'd be ticked off though. Whatever this is, it needs to be configurable on/off.

Count me in with a 722 that is having the same problem.

It is very discouraging to see so many people treating the original poster as an idiot when he has clearly identified a real problem.

Interesting...722 also. I thought the 622 was the only one that would output an anamorphic SD picture.

Swap seems to do the trick here too, which is much easier than messing with the menu. As I said, I actually like it now that I'm used to it, but for people who need it to be anamorphic all the time, they shouldn't have to jump through ANY hoops. I appreciate that they are constantly trying to improve the product, but when you buy an expensive product, you have a right to expect it to continue to function the same way unless it breaks. What if they had removed Single Mode alltogether, or disabled the RF modulator output?

This software release seems to have a lot of great ideas that were botched. For example, look at the "Rename event" feature. Wouldn't anyone anal enough to want to rename an event also want it to be properly capitalized? (Only the first letter can be capitalized.)

I noticed the problem on my 722 earlier this week - must have been when the new "improved" software was downloaded. The toggle between single and dual mode solution fixed it but needs to be done daily. I usually forget until I get into bed and turn on our bedroom TV and find the picture screwed up. Really a hassel to go back downstairs, turn on the TV, toggle between single and dual, answer the question about do I really want to do this, then turn the TV off, then back upstairs to bed. Too much work for so late at night!

Has anyone tried reporting this to Dish as a problem that needs to be corrected? Maybe someone with an "in" with Dish Tech Support could talk to them. I don't even want to try to explain the problem to one of the Customer Service people.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Are you all sending TV2 signal via the TV2 coax or just sending the TV1 signal via S-video? I run my 622 in Dual mode and would love to figure out how to get true 16X9 on that TV. Because it's an ATSC signal it's a stretched picture even in letterbox mode.

Put me down for liking it the new way too. The HD and SD pics look way better on the 4:3 sets being fed from the coax.

If it's a bug we can only hope that Dish can make it a menu option and work in a consistent manner instead of making it go away.

Put me down for liking it the new way too. The HD and SD pics look way better on the 4:3 sets being fed from the coax.

If it's a bug we can only hope that Dish can make it a menu option and work in a consistent manner instead of making it go away.

I thought that the picture quality was better too but assumed I was just seeing things.

Maybe a HD TV2 picture setting along side the main HD TV picture settings in the setup menues, or a setting in the modulator setup for TV2 picture format. Either would work, but the way it is now is extreme stretch-o-vision until I cycle between between signal & dual mode. Even the format options of stretch, partial zoom, and zoom don't get it back to the way it was before the change. By the way, on the gray bar setting does anyone see gray bars? I don't see any here.

I have the same issue. I feed a small 34" 16:9 TV via the composite output in single mode. I have a main 16:9 set fed via the component output on TV1. I had the TV2 set to stretch the composite output so it returned the image to the correct aspect ratio on-screen. I too have the top and bottom black bars now. The dish menus all fill the full height of the screen, but any HD content is showing black bars. This never happened prior to the firmware update. I could keep the dish setting to "Normal" and when it went through the composite cabling, the picture was compressed horizontally and I used the TV2 TV to stretch it back out. Work perfectly.

I want it back the way it was. Or at least a setting to choose between the two (outside the format button on the remote).

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Are you all sending TV2 signal via the TV2 coax or just sending the TV1 signal via S-video? I run my 622 in Dual mode and would love to figure out how to get true 16X9 on that TV.

It's never worked in dual mode, only single. In single mode, it would automatically send an anamorphic picture via ALL the SD outputs. Now you have to jump through hoops to do it.

It's silly that there hasn't always been an option to choose either method in either mode. It's always just been that way...anamorphic only in single mode, and letterbox only in dual. No reason for it...just lazy programming...but we all got used to it.

I have this problem also. I have a 622 with the TV2 fed to a 16:9 tv via coax. To solve this, I go into Hdtv setup, change from 1080i to 720p and then confirm. This fixes the issue, and then I change it back to 1080i. I have to do this every night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)