New Problem

john dusek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 6, 2005
east bernard Texas
Have an external HD and usually un plug it(PS) when not in use. In the past,when I plug it back in,it takes maybe 15 seconds for Dish to recognize it,well last time I used it,Dish wouldn't recognize it,even after plugging and unplugging HD 3 or 4 times. While waiting for support on Dish,I unplugged the usb and PS and it came on. Has anyone else had this problem and when am having this problem,any suggestions on how to help Dish receiver recognize the HD if this happens again. Have not unplugged it since then,although both WD and Dish said it is ok to turn the HD off when not in use.
Thanks

I had that problem. Replaced the USB cable (it fit loose into the EHD) and it has been fine since. BTW, the 15 seconds is normal.

I have 2 EHD's. The older one is a Maxtor. It goes into sleep mode and my 722 won't see it. All I have to do is unplug the usb cable. Wait for the screen that says It's been unplugged and then plug the usb cable back in. My other is a Seagate and it never goes into sleep mode. I leave it plugged in all the time.

I have 9 drives connected at one time to the power strip with cube taps. One USB to each 722.
Turn strip off at night because Dish accesses the drive before reboot and may be delayed more than 1/2 hour. DOING WHAT?
Each drive, power supply, and USB is associated with a color.
There are 5 .75GB WDs, 1 each 1TB Cavalry, 1TB Buffalo, 2TB Fantom, and 1 stand with either 1TB Hitachi or 1.5TB WD.
Today I would use 1 stand per 722 and switch raw drives.
-Ken

Hate retyping this because SG didn't have me logged in on this window.:-(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)