New Pub Members Feature!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today I am proud to announce a new feature available to all Pub Members & Supporting Founders... The Gallery.

This Gallery lets Pub Members create their own galleries of photos and videos, which are stored here on our servers.

At this time as a test each Pub Member gets 300 MB of Gallery Space. In your space you may create your own media albums.

When you setup your albums you will be given a few options such as who may view or upload media to your album, the choices are:

Owner Only - Only you can upload or view that Album
People You Follow - Only your friends can view or upload to that Album
Members Only - Only those logged in can view or upload to your Album
Everyone - Everyone can view your Album (But they cant upload to it)
Custom - Specify specific usernames who can view or add files to your Album

Yes by todays standards 300 MB is small, but with only 2 terabytes of space on our server we can't give much more and have room to run things going forward. :) Now your SatelliteGuys attachments that you post in the forums DO NOT count against your quota.

Non Pub Members may not have Albums, but they can upload files into Categories such as "Show us your setup!" However Non Pub Members only have a 25MB quota.

Remember standard SatelliteGuys rules apply, which means no naughty, gross or offensive pictures. Also the pictures you upload must be media you hold the copyright to. SatellliteGuys staff has the ability to monitor all media so please keep it clean and legal. :)

While SatelliteGuys servers are backed up, we cannot assume responsibility for the safety of your media, so please don't upload them here and delete your originals. SatelliteGuys also reserves the right to discontinue the Gallery program at any time. Thanks for your understanding. :D

As the ad market continues to decline for online forums, this is our thanks to our supporters who really do help us keep our lights on. If you are not a Pub Member but would like to become one please check out http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/help/pub_info/ for more information!

Thanks for your support! :D

Reactions: . Raine and T134
In order to conserve bandwidth, store the most, and speed upload and download times. I suggest resizing to 800x600 or some value that fits most screens.
Windows users: I suggest Irfanview. (I also use it under wine in Linux)
Typical results with a photo I have here. Orig; 4800x3600 is 6.9Mb. Resized to 800x600 is ~360Kb and that's with
save quality set to 100%. (most all screen resolutions are typically from a small 800px wide to 1440px wide)
So who is going to be first to show us their Dish Farm or Home Theater setup?:D
I'll get right on it.

Aim for the lowest common denominator? "Screw HD, SD is good enough!"

Ok. what could be so 'interesting' as to need to be HD?
here's an example, Where's the HD advantage?
Pic 1 (HD)
2117576.jpg

Pic 2 (SD)
2117576_small.jpg

I see no advantage. Only the browser of forum software showing the HD pic to fit the screen.

Who said anything about "HD"? What's an HD picture? Using a snapshot of your TV's menu, taken with a camera, isn't the best example either...

Who said anything about HD?
Aim for the lowest common denominator? "Screw HD, SD is good enough!"
Ok I'll rephrase: why upload pics that are 6400px wide [and many Mb in size] when most screens are only a fraction of that??
Using a snapshot of your TV's menu, taken with a camera
Only used to show that it's unnecessary to upload pics wider than what can be shown on your screen in original format. Yes, it's re-formatted by the browser or forum software to display within the confines of your screen. Why waste bandwidth if it's not necessary?? Click the first image to see "the unnecessary'
Sorry, this isn't 2003. 800 x 600 - are you joking ?
The second image is 800x600 and conveys all pertinent information at less than 1/8 the bandwidth of pic 1.
Well, when/if I ever get around to it
The Gallery.
This Gallery lets Pub Members create their own galleries of photos and videos, which are stored here on our servers.
At this time as a test each Pub Member gets 300 MB of Gallery Space
with only 300 MB of Gallery Space I'd not want to use it up with only a few pictures. I'll keep the original picture on my HDD. Share resized.

Reactions: dare2be
Today I am proud to announce a new feature available to all Pub Members & Supporting Founders... The Gallery.

At this time as a test each Pub Member gets 300 MB of Gallery Space. In your space you may create your own media albums.

When you setup your albums you will be given a few options such as who may view or upload media to your album, the choices are:

Owner Only - Only you can upload or view that Album
People You Follow - Only your friends can view or upload to that Album
Members Only - Only those logged in can view or upload to your Album
Everyone - Everyone can view your Album (But they cant upload to it)
Custom - Specify specific usernames who can view or add files to your Album

Yes by todays standards 300 MB is small, but with only 2 terabytes of space on our server we can't give much more and have room to run things going forward. :) Now your SatelliteGuys attachments that you post in the forums DO NOT count against your quota.

Non Pub Members may not have Albums, but they can upload files into Categories such as "Show us your setup!" However Non Pub Members only have a 25MB quota.

Remember standard SatelliteGuys rules apply, which means no naughty, gross or offensive pictures. Also the pictures you upload must be media you hold the copyright to. SatellliteGuys staff has the ability to monitor all media so please keep it clean and legal. :)

While SatelliteGuys servers are backed up, we cannot assume responsibility for the safety of your media, so please don't upload them here and delete your originals. SatelliteGuys also reserves the right to discontinue the Gallery program at any time. Thanks for your understanding. :D

As the ad market continues to decline for online forums, this is our thanks to our supporters who really do help us keep our lights on. If you are not a Pub Member but would like to become one please check out http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/help/pub_info/ for more information!

Thanks for your support! :D
If we add a picture to the Gallery, either in an album or a category, can we delete it if we don't want it there any more or want to update it? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)