new recevers coming out this fall??

hobojoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
so caif usa
called the tech today and was told there are some new boxes being beta tested right now and are going to be better than the 622 i asked if they were sd or hd he said dual-hd-dvr+vod and a hint of a web browser like the old 7200 i love so much! does anyone know of any beta testing going on? or about new boxes? i can not believe they would work on new boxes so soon the just got the 622 out maybe its sd :confused:

hobojoe said:
called the tech today and was told there are some new boxes being beta tested right now and are going to be better than the 622 i asked if they were sd or hd he said dual-hd-dvr+vod and a hint of a web browser like the old 7200 i love so much! does anyone know of any beta testing going on? or about new boxes? i can not believe they would work on new boxes so soon the just got the 622 out maybe its sd :confused:
Are they for sale to the public yet? If they are then they are in Beta Testing, most DISH customers know they are the Beta Testers. The VIP622 is still having new software written to correct problems that you Beta Testers are discovering.:) :mad:

Only new receiver coming out this fall that I know of is the 222 which is the same as a 622 however it has no hard drive.

Then we know about the 612 but not sure if that will be out this year or not, its the same as a 622 however it only has 1 TV output instead of 2.

hobojoe said:
Sounds alot like he's confusing the new HomeZone boxes that are coming out.

Laters,
Mikef5

I still think that it is useless to make a 612 receiver. Why can't you just use the 622 and use it in single mode only, if all you want is a dual tuner with pip ? Why can't Dish just streamline their receivers and keep only the 622 and the 222 and the 211? IT would cost so much less if they only had three receivers and worked to replace all the older receivers out there. Then they could quit supporting older receivers and their software. THis is the time to simplify things .

MikeD-C05 said:
I still think that it is useless to make a 612 receiver. Why can't you just use the 622 and use it in single mode only, if all you want is a dual tuner with pip ? Why can't Dish just streamline their receivers and keep only the 622 and the 222 and the 211? IT would cost so much less if they only had three receivers and worked to replace all the older receivers out there. Then they could quit supporting older receivers and their software. THis is the time to simplify things .

Simple, the 612 will be cheaper to produce and sell to the customer. It won't have 2 tuner outputs nor a 2nd remote control. It'll be like what a 921 is (dual tuner HD DVR) but what is not (much better functionality and bug-free operation than the 921).

I agree with Mike. The ViP612 sounds dumb. Although, someone posted here that he did not want dual tuners. The cost difference can't be that much, and it's SOOO much better. Once you've used a dual, hard to see going back to a single.

From previous postings and what little has come out of E*, it seems there will be no more SD only receivers developed. The cost delta to HD is decreasing, and they know they will have to support HD eventually anyway. Even if it's downrezzed to an analog TV. Best to start phasing out SD only now. Also, all future receivers will support 8PSK also. This has been the case for some time now- everything after the 721, IIRC.

Mikef5 said:
Sounds alot like he's confusing the new HomeZone boxes that are coming out.

Laters,
Mikef5
Could be wishful thinking on my part, but since the HomeZone box was shown at Team Summit (an Echostar event), maybe it'll be marketed as a Dish product, and made available to any Dish sub with a broadband internet connection.

navychop said:
I agree with Mike. The ViP612 sounds dumb. Although, someone posted here that he did not want dual tuners. The cost difference can't be that much, and it's SOOO much better. Once you've used a dual, hard to see going back to a single.

From previous postings and what little has come out of E*, it seems there will be no more SD only receivers developed. The cost delta to HD is decreasing, and they know they will have to support HD eventually anyway. Even if it's downrezzed to an analog TV. Best to start phasing out SD only now. Also, all future receivers will support 8PSK also. This has been the case for some time now- everything after the 721, IIRC.

Well, actually the 612 has 2 tuners but you use it like a 921 in that you use it on 1 TV and not on 2 TV's. Since the 612 will not have an additional TV2 video/audio output and 2nd remote control, the cost difference to the customers I'm sure will be at least around $50 cheaper. I mean it won't cost DISH $50 more to make a 622 vs. 612 but to differentiate the two, a $50 price difference would be a good idea to sell both in good quantities.

Also remember that the new HR20's are also for one TV hook up with 2 satellite tuners so this will compete with that heads-on and from what I hear the HR20 will be AGGRESSIVELY priced. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to $99 after mail-in rebate. The HR10-250's are currently at $299 after $100 mail-in rebate.

To sell a 612 for $50 cheaper than a $622 would be a waste as it would be a good investment for Dish Network to offer an additional tuner. I figure there would have to be at least a $150 savings to make this worth while.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Simple, the 612 will be cheaper to produce and sell to the customer. It won't have 2 tuner outputs nor a 2nd remote control. It'll be like what a 921 is (dual tuner HD DVR) but what is not (much better functionality and bug-free operation than the 921).

I wonder if Dish will charge the extra tuner fee for the new 612 two tuner dvr in single mode only? I am sure Dish will find a way still to charge for it.

IT seems like we are going backwards to what we had before the 522/625/622 dvrs. Like going back to the 721/921 style of receivers. Now if the customer wants another receiver on his second tv he will have to sub to another receiver. Maybe this is money related for Dish. The chance to make more money on extra receivers that can be replaced by one 622. Of course Directv never tried to seriously compete with Dish on this receiver. So there is no pressure from Directv to compete , by keeping the older 622 style receivers.

I still say it is not needed and I hope that Dish keeps making the dual tuners like the 622 dvrs. I would hate to have them stop making this style. It really works for my family and my mom and dad on my second account.

"... Well, actually the 612 has 2 tuners..."

OK, that makes sense. 2 tuners with "721 simple" operation and a lower price makes it viable. But only $50? Maybe that makes a difference for some folks, but I wouldn't consider it for less than $100-150 difference.

381- bizarre! Make a few bucks now, spend twice as much later to replace them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)