New/returning customer - cost to add SuperJoey??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
While I'm contemplating parting company with Mediacom for TV, I need to firm up the cost to do so. Monthly costs I've got. What I can't find on Dish's website is how much would the upfront cost be to have a HWS and SuperJoey.

It's different for each customer based on credit. It can range anywhere from free to MSRP. You'd have to talk to a sales rep.

I would contact DIRT. Likely they will give you the best advice and price.

I will say a local dealer paid separate is likely the best choice here. Especially if out of the standards for DNS techs. Retailers are paid to be creative, and offer some good work for it.

When I called Dish they were pretty stiff about no SuperJoey without having 4 tvs. I might have been able to finagle one anyway, but I figure I can handle just on HWS and make it work for me.

When I called Dish they were pretty stiff about no SuperJoey without having 4 tvs. I might have been able to finagle one anyway, but I figure I can handle just on HWS and make it work for me.

I signed up through chat and was told the same thing. I told them I've had two hoppers before with only 2 tvs so I know the drill. He put me on hold and came back and said I could get a HWS and super joey like I wanted .

I'm sorry, but why did you CALL instead of going through Dirt? It can't be because you were not so advised !

Mostly because I had decided before I called that I would just get a Hopper. It is a little more playing around with some priorities, but the end result is the same. All my shows get recorded for me to view so why pay the $120/year more?

Reactions: Hall
DIRT cannot sign anyone up. That would be a huge prevention from using them. Once signed up, they can make any adjustments, but creating the account has to be done with the sales rep... Just to help explain a little.

But, they can hand off to a sales rep who is probably more knowledgeable than a typical CSR, no?

Well I've had it for a couple days and I'm seeing why I had considered adding a SuperJoey. At the moment the evenings will tie up all the tuners on the HWS which means either watch a recording to watch something that is being recorded or in the PTAT channels. That should be an issue that solves itself as I gather more recent show recordings. The conflict resolution is working as it is supposed to and no shows have failed to record though some of them do record later reruns. And that is fine and is the way it should be.
In the meantime, my Tivo still has some series recorded that I hadn't watched yet, so I switch over to it to watch them until the Hopper catches up to where I need it to be. I'll use the Tivo as a streaming search media center as it is excellent at that. I've considered dropping one of my paid streaming services since the VOD on Dish is so good, but my Amazon Prime is already paid for the year and I've already had it paid out in the no shipping charges, and I need Hulu Plus to get those things from the CW that I like since that is in SD from the local channel and is in HD with HP. And of course, I have Netflix with some fine original series. So it looks like I won't actually cancel any of them though I might suspend HP for a bit.

How much primetime programming (from the 4 major networks) do you actually watch ? Maybe turning off PTAT and just doing manual recordings of the specific primetime shows you watch will free up tuners.

I would have signed up for 4 tvs and a SJ, then when the installer showed up see if he would install just the HWS and SJ, if not I would have had him install it all and then the next day get on chat send back 2 Joeys. In order to save money I gave cut back from 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys to 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey, it only takes a few minutes on chat to cancel a Joey.

How much primetime programming (from the 4 major networks) do you actually watch ? Maybe turning off PTAT and just doing manual recordings of the specific primetime shows you watch will free up tuners.
Right now, not much because the summer doldrums on broadcast channels is worse than usual. I have PTAT on but only for 3 nights a week now and for some unknown reason didn't think about just scheduling the 4 shows a week I record off of broadcast now instead of using PTAT. Thanks for the suggestion!

just scheduling the 4 shows a week I record off of broadcast now
Yeah, if there's only (4) shows you really want, using PTAT is overkill. One thing to keep in mind though is that disabling PTAT will disable Autohop (if that matters to you). If you want to keep Autohop, keep PTAT enabled for a minimum of (1) day (pick the one with the recording activity).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)