New Roof

cfkillers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
pg county, maryland
I am having my roof replaced plywood and everything. The roofing company stated they have to remove the dish from the roof but the will not replace it because it will void the warranty for the roof blah blah blah. anyway will dish reinstall the dish for free if i can prove that the dish was taken down because of weather or will i have to pay for them to reinstall? if i do not want them to reinstall because they will charge me will they let me out of my contract for free im 20 months into a 24 month contract?

I am an installer and we do "service changes" all the time at no cost. The easiest method is to have your roofer remover the dish. Call Dish and say you have no signal. Then as you go through the dish troubleshooting system, say you have no signal and a tech needs to be called. When the tech gets there, they will move it to keep you as a customer.
I am sure the older techs have easier methods, but this works.

I am an installer and we do "service changes" all the time at no cost. The easiest method is to have your roofer remover the dish. Call Dish and say you have no signal. Then as you go through the dish troubleshooting system, say you have no signal and a tech needs to be called. When the tech gets there, they will move it to keep you as a customer.
ok ill give that a try i have the roof installed the 11th if no rain

Sure, you can trick a CSR into sending a tech but it's technically not covered by the DHPP plan and it sure isn't fair to expect a tech to re-install a dish for a $15 service call fee because the customer had their roof done. They are paying several thousand for a new roof, they should expect to pay about a hundred for the dish re-install. Maybe you get paid hourly and Dish provides materials but for subs and retailers who don't this kind of stuff is unfair.

I just had the same experience but I did not try to get it for free. I am having a new roof put in this week and I did not want the Dish on the new roof.

I called Dish. They told me that the DHPP plan did not apply here because moving the dish was voluntary rather than something that was broken or needed to be fixed. The regular price for moving the dish is $95 (dish fee) + $50 (installer's fee). However, because I was a 'valued long-term customer', Dish waived the $95 fee and only charged me $50. I thought that was a great deal because my Eastern Arc dish is now mounted on a pole in the ground about 100 feet away from my house. I thought that $50 for getting that done was a very very good deal. Also, I called dish in the afternoon, and the install was done the very next day. Incredible service!

Last edited:
if they charge me 90 dollars i will just cancel service my ETF is cheaper than that. But i do have a protection plan it was required when we signed up. But the roof repair is caused by the weather i can just say the dish blew off roof during hurricane last month and we are just getting it repaired.

if they charge me 90 dollars i will just cancel service my ETF is cheaper than that. But i do have a protection plan it was required when we signed up. But the roof repair is caused by the weather i can just say the dish blew off roof during hurricane last month and we are just getting it repaired.

you said that wrong, it should be...

"...But the roof repair is caused by the weather i can just lie to dish and say the dish blew off roof during hurricane last month and we are just getting it repaired

It would be up to your insurance to pay in that case.

I just don't see why anyone would expect Dish to pay for putting a Dish back up when the event that caused the Dish to be removed was a voluntary one by the subscriber. It's part of the cost of replacing the roof and if insurance is paying for the roof replacement, it should also pay for the reinstall of the antenna.

Laddyboy said:
I just don't see why anyone would expect Dish to pay for putting a Dish back up when the event that caused the Dish to be removed was a voluntary one by the subscriber. It's part of the cost of replacing the roof and if insurance is paying for the roof replacement, it should also pay for the reinstall of the antenna.

Because people think just because they pay a monthly fee for a subscription, everything else should be free.

I had my house re roofed last year. In fact almost exactly a year ago to this day. I called dish up the night before the were doing the roof and did not lie to them or anything. I told them I was getting a new roof an they were going to have to remove the dish and I needed someone to come out that afternoon put the dish back on. I have the DHPP and it was a $15 charge with no lying about what was going on.

Sure, you can trick a CSR into sending a tech but it's technically not covered by the DHPP plan and it sure isn't fair to expect a tech to re-install a dish for a $15 service call fee because the customer had their roof done. They are paying several thousand for a new roof, they should expect to pay about a hundred for the dish re-install. Maybe you get paid hourly and Dish provides materials but for subs and retailers who don't this kind of stuff is unfair.
Dish will charge the $15 fee....ONLY.
Yiu have no idea how many "no signal" service calls I had done where the dish was....Run over by a vehicle. Cable cut by crazed homeowner with weed eater, hit by kid on bicycle, hit by batted or kicked ball, Stolen, roofer removed Dish, customer did not like dish location....See where I am going here?
If a customer complains, Dish CSR's WILL cave.

Because people think just because they pay a monthly fee for a subscription, everything else should be free.
Precisely.....I once had a customer who's house looked like she didn't have a pot to piss in, called in a no signal ....I get there and their dog have gnawed off about 30 feet of three runs of cable across the back of the house. I informed her that this damage is "customer caused" and as such is not covered by the protection plan. She went cuckoo for cocoa puffs. She said she should not have to pay because she was spending over $100 per month. She said it was Dish's problem.
She called Dish to complain and the CSR waived the cost. I got on the phone and asked who was going to cover the cost of my labor and materials. We had to escalate the issue in order for me and my employer to be paid for the nearly three hours worth of work.
Point being is if a customer no matter how negligent bitches to the right person, will be excused of all responsibility by Dish which in turn will eat the cost of the repair.

Dish will charge the $15 fee....ONLY.
Yiu have no idea how many "no signal" service calls I had done where the dish was....Run over by a vehicle. Cable cut by crazed homeowner with weed eater, hit by kid on bicycle, hit by batted or kicked ball, Stolen, roofer removed Dish, customer did not like dish location....See where I am going here?
If a customer complains, Dish CSR's WILL cave.

Yea, I know. Me too. A lot of materials and work for $15. That still doesn't make it right or fair. I guess now a days most people don't care who they screw as long as they don't have to pay. And as you know, with Dish the screwing usually gets handed down to the tech and somehow ends there.

The last thing I would do is have a non dish professional reinstalling a dish to a roof.

I can't even begin to count how many dish "fixes" I went to where I completely had to reinstall a dish on a roof, after they just had a roof put on. -and of course they are pissed. If you have a clear show to the Sats your viewing from ground, now is a great time for a pole mount.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The last thing I would do is have a non dish professional reinstalling a dish to a roof.

I can't even begin to count how many dish "fixes" I went to where I completely had to reinstall a dish on a roof, after they just had a roof put on. -and of course they are pissed. If you have a clear show to the Sats your viewing from ground, now is a great time for a pole mount.

Cannot agree more. The LAST place I would EVER want my dish installed is on the roof. Of all the people I have had a "roof mounted" discussion with, the percentage of those stating they had leak problems is more than it ever should be. Unless there is no other place to put the dish, who would want holes in their nice new roof that just cost them thousands of $? I would think not many.

RT.

Precisely.....I once had a customer who's house looked like she didn't have a pot to :eek: in, called in a no signal ....I get there and their dog have gnawed off about 30 feet of three runs of cable across the back of the house. I informed her that this damage is "customer caused" and as such is not covered by the protection plan. She went cuckoo for cocoa puffs. She said she should not have to pay because she was spending over $100 per month. She said it was Dish's problem.
She called Dish to complain and the CSR waived the cost. I got on the phone and asked who was going to cover the cost of my labor and materials. We had to escalate the issue in order for me and my employer to be paid for the nearly three hours worth of work.
Point being is if a customer no matter how negligent bitches to the right person, will be excused of all responsibility by Dish which in turn will eat the cost of the repair.

Some people, makes you wonder? I bet she really goes :rant:when the mailperson is 5 minutes late with her welfare check!

RT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)