New Satellite for New HD Installation tomorrow

futurecode

Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Northeast, PA
Hey Guys,

I'm in the "61.5/110/119" group and am looking to get setup for the new HD feeds. I'm scheduled to have a tech coming out for a new dish installation tomorrow and I have a few questions for all you experts out there as I'm not sure what the best route would be for me.

I currently have two dishes on my roof (pretty sure two 500's; one pointed at 6.15 and the other at 110/119). I'm from Scranton/wilkes-barre area so my HD locals are on 61.5 and the SD locals are on 110. I'm pretty sure I don't have line of sight for 129.

What is the best "set-up" for me. 1000.4, re-pointing, etc...... I've read and read here on the forum and have had a hard time figuring out what would be best for me to keep what I currently have and get the new channels I crave.

I apologize of nooishness in advance!

Update, I'm all mpg4 too: VIP 722 and 211.

Last edited:
Thanks Bobby, I new that I needed something to keep my SD locals but wasn't sure "how".

Now, 1000.4 is eastern arc (61.5/72.7/77) correct? I've read about lack of signal strengths is an issue using that in my area (the northeast US), is that the case? Or does it come down to that combination being the only valid combination for what I want so I'm "stuck" with it?

Question. With the receivers you specified, why are you concerned about getting SD locals?

Thanks Iceberg, thought I saw them just on 110 on a different (maybe old) sheet, good to know.

KAB, I'm concerned about SD locals cause I do have some older (non-hd) sets hooked up. I know what you can see the HD feed on a non-hd set hook up to the 722 or 211 but I did not want to deal with the letterboxing that the HD signal forces on the SD sets.

Thanks Iceberg, thought I saw them just on 110 on a different (maybe old) sheet, good to know.

KAB, I'm concerned about SD locals cause I do have some older (non-hd) sets hooked up. I know what you can see the HD feed on a non-hd set hook up to the 722 or 211 but I did not want to deal with the letterboxing that the HD signal forces on the SD sets.
Don't know about your market/link to Dish, but our SD locals ARE letterboxed, because stations are broadcasting 16x9.

Edit: Just checked to be sure. Yep...all SD locals are letter boxed.

Last edited:
Another reason for keeping the SD locals is something like the Today show. It's on in HD every morning while we are waking up, but the wife likes to have the whole thing on DVR just in case there was something that she wanted to hear again. In that one specific case, we watch the HD version but record the SD version to save on the space.

Granted, the amount of space required for 4 hours of MPEG2 SD might be pretty close to the same as 4 hours of MPEG4 HD depending on how good the compression is, I haven't tested that.

Just a little update, the installer came today, said there was too much snow on the roof to install (I didn't think so, but I can't force the guy up there) and rescheduled for Monday (hope the snow will be gone by then, well, hope for them , cause it's going up Monday hell or high-water).

Thing is, when I was talking to the tech I asked what the probability of actually getting it up there on Monday. He said if it doesn't snow and things melt, good. Then he said, unless you get a sub-contractor, then you'll definitely get it done cause they go up on the roof no matter what, snow or whatever, due to being paid per job instead of by the hour. If you got one today it would have been done today. I then asked, what can I do to assure that I get a sub-contractor, he said nothing, now way to assure that.

How bout that bullsh$t.

I then asked, what can I do to assure that I get a sub-contractor, he said nothing, now way to assure that.

How bout that bullsh$t.

No BS. It would be your job and dime to get a sub. Dish installers are not going to get on a roof with snow on it, simple. If you find a sub that is willing to get up there and put on the mast plate, great. Or, be patient and wait out the weather.

No, the Dish company in my area get their own subs to cover ( understaffed maybe?) so it would not be my dime, at least that is what the tech told me.

But hey, I guess it could be worse, I could be getting charged for programming that I'm not getting. Wait, huh?

In the end it's just a little bit more frustration (hence the venting) due to this situation being caused by a lazy tech who should have installed the EA dish to begin with a year ago.

A 1000.4 and keep the 500 looking at 110 so you can continue to get your SD locals.
This is not true for Scranton Wilkes Barre locals.
Scranton Locals are on the 119 in SD and also on the 61.5 for Eastern arc customers.
You say you live in NorthEast Pa. , But what county?
It makes a difference.;)

Just a little update, the installer came today, said there was too much snow on the roof to install (I didn't think so, but I can't force the guy up there) and rescheduled for Monday (hope the snow will be gone by then, well, hope for them , cause it's going up Monday hell or high-water).

Thing is, when I was talking to the tech I asked what the probability of actually getting it up there on Monday. He said if it doesn't snow and things melt, good. Then he said, unless you get a sub-contractor, then you'll definitely get it done cause they go up on the roof no matter what, snow or whatever, due to being paid per job instead of by the hour. If you got one today it would have been done today. I then asked, what can I do to assure that I get a sub-contractor, he said nothing, now way to assure that.

How bout that bullsh$t.

If there is snow on the roof and you insist that the tech goes on the roof and he comes off, you could be held responsible for the accident. So I would hope your homeowners ins is paid up, because the installer most likely come after you. Dish will have nothing to do with the issue, if it is a Dish installer they would fire him, and a subs only avenue would be to sue you.

So you should be glad that the tech did not go on your roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts