New Satellite tracking parameters for KVH (possibly Seatel as well) mobile satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

heathriel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
If you have a mobile RV or Marine gyro controlled satellite, you may have noticed that as of yesterday, it won't lock on to 110w. You may also know from experience that KVH hold times for tech support are notoriously long, and they are most likely to tell you that you need to call a tech to come out and help you (at our own cost) anyway.

Well, if you're on the internet, you're probably intelligent enough to fix this yourself!

Your satellite has an *easly accessible* serial control port somewhere (mine's on the power panel), and you *should* have a cable for it (it came with the kit). You might have to purchase a serial-to-USB adapter cable (if you haven't at some point) if you don't have a serial port on your computer on your boat/RV, which you can find at Microcenter or Fry's, depending on which part of the country you live in. If those aren't near you, you'll have to order one.

Anyway, once you have that cable hooked into your satellite's serial port, you need to run a terminal program to talk to it.

Select the COM port of your satellite (trial and error if you haven't done this before - you've hit the right one when you start seeing stuff start scrolling by on the screen). Oh, and the satellite needs to be *on* for you to do this.

Once you're in, you're now free to update your satellite.

Type these commands, in this order (pausing between each command for the satellite to spit out it's stuff).

HALT (the satellite will stop).
DEBUGON
SATINSTALL,ECHO_110,ECHO_119
@DEBUGON
@SATCONFIG,A,52,12224,20000,78,0X1006,R,U,3
@SATCONFIG,A,52,12414,20000,78,0X1006,L,U,3
@SAVE,A
@DEBUGOFF
DEBUGOFF
ZAP

While you're in there, you may want to program in the 129 satellite that KVH says you can only get if you spend another $5000 on a new dish. They won't even give you the tracking codes for this one if you ask, so you have to program it as a user configured satellite.

To program a new satellite into the system:

HALT
SATCONFIG,USER1,129,W,3,C
SATINSTALL,ECHO_110,USER1
@DEBUGON
@SATCONFIG,b,98,12282,20000,56,0x1008,R,U,3
@SATCONFIG,b,98,12472,20000,56,0x1008,L,U,3
@SAVE,B
@DEBUGOFF
ZAP

While still connected, you can switch back and forth between the satellites by typing @L,A or @L,B . Make sure it finds the new 110, and if you've installed it, 129. *When its locked on 129*, there's an additional command to do (just once), because dish keeps updating stuff.

HALT
@DEBUGON
@SC,20000,56
(let it do its thing. When prompted, hit: )
@Y
@DEBUGOFF
ZAP

You're done. Put back your A/B switch if you've got it, or do a "SATINSTALL,ECHO_110,ECHO_119" again (if you don't want 129 on all the time).

Any time you want to switch that second satellite around, just go back in there and do:

SATINSTALL,(whatever),(whatever) and the two satellites in your A/B switch will be either 110 and 119 or 110 and 129. You MIGHT be able to do 119/129, but they're REALLY close to each other in the sky so it might have issues with the lock. Plus, why would you want to? If you're adding in 129 I'd assume its for HD, of which 119 doesn't have any and 110 does.

This still doesn't allow you to record things from both satellites at once, but it gives you more options.

Hope this helped someone!

Heathreil,
wow this is what i was looking for, but it didn't work for me. I think my ird wants the 119 first and that the way it was programed prior to me messing with it. Now i have programed with 110 as the 1st. can you direct me to the complete recipe for reprogaraming both to the tracking postions 119/110.

thanks,

May be wrong FEC code

I looked at 2 sites that my KVH install manual recommended satcodx.com and lyngsat.com. Although they are a bit hard to decipher and in the case of FEC code give 2 different answers I think the proper FEC code is 56, not 78. One of the sites says the FEC code is 34 so that may be another option to try. All the other parameters provided seem to be correct according to those sites.

So, I guess in the @SATCOFIG commands just change the 78 to a 56 and give it a try. If that doesn't work try 34. One of those really has to work for Forward Error Correction.

Now, I could be totally wrong because what may be the whole problem is that Echostar has changed their FEC to 78. I don't think that's the case because these parameters were from recent scans of the satellite.

I would have thought it would not lock onto 110 because E8's beacon has been turned off as it moves to 77. The beacon number would be what really affects the tracking ability. 110 should have 2 beacons, one for E10 and one for E11.

I tried the parameters given by HEATHRIEL and although it tracked 110 (after third alternate search) the overall system wasn't acting right and it seemed I was getting a high BER as it was searching and locking the satellites. Unfortunately I ran out of time last night and wasn't able to go back and verify that the SATINSTALL and SATCONFIG stuff was saved correctly. I'm going to work on it again tonight. I didn't lose everything but when changing channels I'd get errors thrown.

One thing I noticed when I checked the SATCONFIG was that the FEC seemed to be set at 99 for both 110 and 119 (and I don't know what that means unless it's no forward error correction). I'm going to try a FEC of 56 on the 110 satellite tonight as I think an improper FEC was allowing it to track but not lock, thus the high BER.

Last night I changed to a 5/6 FEC and it wouldn't track at all so I went back to 7/8 and even though it's working funky it's tracking. I may try going back to the 99 FEC designation to see if that works better. I never did try 3/4 as suggested on one of the reference sites.

Hey, wow, this thread got lost.

Anyway, the *base* codes are from this tracking document:

http://www.kvh.com/pdf/540173C.pdf

I created the 129 satellite codes from lyngsat and much trial and error.

The reason for the FEC change on 110 is because Dish just recently ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...nk-activity-report-9-4-8-3-am-94-changes.html) changed the FEC code on 110 to 7/8. That's why after 9/4, 110 was no longer able to connect at FEC 5/6, because it's not broadcasting there anymore. There's a reason satelliteguys is the best - they have the most updated infomation!

To set 119 as your main satellite install, just do:

HALT (the satellite will stop).
SATINSTALL,ECHO_119,ECHO_110
ZAP

Oh, and the reason it doesn't lock on as quickly or as well as it did previously is because the 7/8 FEC is not as "stable" as the 5/6 band. the 7/8 FEC TP's can take more bandwidth, apparently, which causes more breakup.

Or something.

Ha, you're right - never noticed that :)

The key though, is the "SATCONFIG" command (not @SATCONFIG). It tells the satellite where in the sky to look, and if it is DSS or DVB, (also if they're Circular or Linear, but they're both the same). Since Dish is one and Direct is the other, it won't lock with the same command.

OK, thanks. I knew that 110W was 0x1006 and 119W was 0x1004, just didn't know how that equated to the "#2 and #3."

hi there,
i see from your post that you have knowledge about programming the kvh m5 systems..
maybey you can help..i bought a kvh m5 in the us ,and will be taking it back to europe to use..how do i change the firmware ? if i have to? also ..can i change the firmware in the control box? which lnb can i use back in europe? aim pretty good at hacking/fiddling with stuff ,from using dreambox recievers ,season interfaces etc ,back i europe..so aim not afraid of..ruining the sat system in worst case..
regards thomas

Does anyone have the information on how to manually point a RayMarine STV 45 to 72.7? We tried on 129 and coming back with X on 129 but was able to track. Trying 72.7 manually but I believe I need the NID for 72.7 and can't seem to find them. I believe the high/low vert and horiz info is the same for 61.5 but I'm just missing the NID. Any info is appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)