New SC guide

Satellite Expert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Details of the new SC IPG for DSR5XX, 207 and 317 were announced at SC dealers meeting yesterday. Legacy receivers will not be affected.

The software will be downloaded later this spring (probably late May/early June) and utilize a separate guide from Legacy units (just like Dish does).

HiLites:

1) Instant On capability - 4 minutes to reload guide data after reset
2) Channel Mosaic - display of up to six full motion video channels on one screen with toggle function for audio
3) Searchable guide - search by name, genre, actor/actress, etc
4) Series record and program record will allow recording of all instances of a particular program (for DVR530 only)
5) 14 day IPG for 5XX and 7 day for 207/317
6) Not Subscribed" indicator on guide
7) Improved guide information including increase in program info
8) iSTAR Interactive Weather, horoscope and games

Thank you Satellite Expert for the great info! All of the features I've been looking for but don't currently have for my DSR530 guide. Searching, series record, more info and 14 days! :D GREAT!

Word is that none of those features are actually going to be delivered this Summer, next year perhaps. The only change coming this Summer is a new program guide.

Where are those new 5x7 series receivers reported earlier?

-Mike

I tried aerial in MS Word, it's quite bold lettering. I don't have swiss font in word but normally use New Times Roman. This bold might not work. I find my text on the guide is running letters together, making for a fuzzy text.

Details of the new SC IPG for DSR5XX, 207 and 317 were announced at SC dealers meeting yesterday. Legacy receivers will not be affected.

The software will be downloaded later this spring (probably late May/early June) and utilize a separate guide from Legacy units (just like Dish does).

HiLites:

1) Instant On capability - 4 minutes to reload guide data after reset
2) Channel Mosaic - display of up to six full motion video channels on one screen with toggle function for audio
3) Searchable guide - search by name, genre, actor/actress, etc
4) Series record and program record will allow recording of all instances of a particular program (for DVR530 only)
5) 14 day IPG for 5XX and 7 day for 207/317
6) Not Subscribed" indicator on guide
7) Improved guide information including increase in program info
8) iSTAR Interactive Weather, horoscope and games

Do you suppose that they have fixed the problem of not being able to navigate your Favourites List with the Up/Down buttons?

Do you suppose that they have fixed the problem of not being able to navigate your Favourites List with the Up/Down buttons?

SC 5XX developers never saw that as a "problem" However the "Favourites" button on the DSR500 remote now acts as "Favourities channel up" button.

It's on their list of things to do - but far down the list as the other changes listed above will be rolled out over time first.

If I read you correctly, the DSR530 is going to be more TiVo like (but with added MPEG4 decoder, from what I hear, and as usual without the ability to add storage capacity or save programmes long-term under fair-use). Yay!! That's just what the Doctor ordered when the CBC moves the Doctor around. Or ZTélé moves le Docteur. And if only they'd have had it last week I would have been able to see the second half of Royal Canadian Air Farce's 300th episode. Of course, I blame the CBC for announcing the 300th episode special but NOT stating in the promos that it was going to be a special 1 hour long episode, so how was I to know as I don't get the Globe and Mail or Montréal Gazette TeeVee listings and Zap2It is so inconvenient so how was I to know it was going to be 1 hour. Now, if I could only get UPS off my back!

I was talking to SC today and they said the new firmware download is coming soon. I heard the middle of April from other SC techs. Sometimes I wonder if they know what they talking about.

Last edited:
Any news on this update?

SC and Shaw employees have had the new software on their home 207/317/505/530 units for 6 weeks now. 207/317 upgrades are scheduled to start late June; 505/530 a month later.

The 530 upgrade should be interesting as this upgrade will have changes to all 3 software layers (Motorola bios, Shaw middleware and IPG). Given the history of the 530,................

SC and Shaw employees have had the new software on their home 207/317/505/530 units for 6 weeks now. 207/317 upgrades are scheduled to start late June; 505/530 a month later.

The 530 upgrade should be interesting as this upgrade will have changes to all 3 software layers (Motorola bios, Shaw middleware and IPG). Given the history of the 530,................

Thanks Satellite Expert! I have a 530 - Knocking on wood....

I know that the 505/530 upgrade includes the new IPG and bug fixes, but what does the 207/317 upgrade include?

SC is moving to a common code for 207/317/505/530. I assume they are loading this onto SD units first as units use "less" of the code. I know that it includes the firmware for future interactive services and for a 14 day searchable guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts