New signal meter questions

Zombie069

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Montrose, CO 81401
I've read about the new meter and how the lower nombers shown are nothing to be concerned about. BUT, if it's now ok to have a signal of 40, why does the meter still read up to 125???
I just had my 625 swapped for a 722. Signal on the 625 was never better than 45-50 on good days. 722 seems to be averaging about less than 50 overall..
My first 500 system was peaked to 98 or so average and I never had any fade issues. Now they say that 40-50 is great signal.. Smells funny to me..
And if it is so great, why wouldn't they change the meter to max at 50 or 60?

They probably just added some divisor to the code for the meter to chop it down some.

When DISH first started, the dish itself was 18" and the meter went up to 100. With the introduction of the 20" dish500, there were many markets where you could max out at 100 and move the dish considerably off the "sweet spot" of best signal and still show 100. So, the meter was modified to go up to 125 so that you could max out at 111, etc., instead of not being fully peaked. This was a time when many customers still were installing their own dishes.

Now that Dish has larger dishes like the 1k2, the 500+, SD, etc., I assume the same thing might be happening in some markets. This time, instead of making the meter go to 150, they modified the calculations that comprise the "level" of the actual signal. Modifying the screen probably requires more lines of code and more code development. Adding some modifier to the calculations that comprise the signal level probably didn't take much in the way of coding.

This whole "modified signal meter" thing is probably already a headache for DISH because I'm sure people are still calling upset about a 50 signal despite the message that its ok. I doubt they would make this change unless it was necessary.

If you're worried about your signal, hire someone to come in with a real good meter and take some dbuv levels and some c/n levels and make sure they are within specs.

It's not so much that I'm worried about it, but with my pre-hd dish I could go out and nudge the dish around and the signal would never go up.. I was peaking to get 40-43... Just seemed low from what I'm used to seeing.
It's working so I can't it doesn't.

When the new meter software was 1st down loaded to both my 622 & 722 the signal strengths on the meter went down 30-35 points. Seems like anything above 50 is a strong signal now. I don't lose anything until below 20---strong thunderstorm.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts