New Smart Card in the mail

Kevin_Texas

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 26, 2003
Burbs of Dallas Texas
I have a old 301 in my spare bed room. I got a new White smart card in the mail telling me to replace the in the 301. Anyone else got one of these?? :confused:

I installed and activate it on-line went pretty smooth

Its part of the smart card swapout that is supposed to be completed by early next year. I understand that they even got the new cards to work on the older DishPlayer Units.

Time to say BYE BYE to hackers. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its part of the smart card swapout that is supposed to be completed by early next year. I understand that they even got the new cards to work on the older DishPlayer Units.

Time to say BYE BYE to hackers. :D

I too don't care for hackers. :mad: Ether that be DBS or computer hackers . I am network admin and hackers make my life hell.

thiggin2 said:
I thought they were yellow cards?? Never heard of a white one. Hmm

If I am correct the instructions talk about a yellow card
but the card was actually white. I could be wrong it was
about 5 this morning when I did it still did not had my
coffee.

The cards will be a few different colors, they have sped up production and the rollout so some cards may not have any printing on them at all.

what if I have a mothballed 301? Dish has it as a recently deactivated receievr on my account. I wonder if I'll get a new card?

What is most likely to happen is NO you won't get a new card. Then some day in the future you go and reactivate your 301 they will then want to charge you for a new card.

Iceberg said:
what if I have a mothballed 301? Dish has it as a recently deactivated receievr on my account. I wonder if I'll get a new card?

What do you mean by mothballed? Did you just get it deactivated with Dish or did Did dish tell you it was a
obsolete hardware

deactivated....it has the newest software...I replaced it in March with a 508, and only really pull it out of the closetand hook it up to let the software upgrade.

Iceberg said:

Why would they send out cards for deactivated receivers? Many of them may not even exist anymore. My guess is, after the swap of active receivers is complete, anyone who wants to reactivate an old reciever will get a new card sent to them for a fee. They might waive the fee if the receiver is being reactivated on the same account it was deactivated from.

The reason I asked is when I called Dish recently, they had on my account
-an active 508
-a recently deactivated 301
-a "blowed up" 5000

The 5000 actually went "boom" a while back and thats what I told them...obviously the guy put that in the system. The 301 was disconnected when I got the 508

Kevin_Texas said:
I too don't care for hackers. :mad: Ether that be DBS or computer hackers . I am network admin and hackers make my life hell.

Being in the same field, you know as well as I do they won't EVER be able to stop hackers. They can make it more difficult, but to think they can put an end to it, I wish them luck.

Iceberg said:
The reason I asked is when I called Dish recently, they had on my account
-an active 508
-a recently deactivated 301
-a "blowed up" 5000

The 5000 actually went "boom" a while back and thats what I told them...obviously the guy put that in the system. The 301 was disconnected when I got the 508

I think your 'blowed up" 5000 is just a note in the "comments field" of your account. I have several old receivers noted on my account as well (None of them described as colorfully as your 5000 though.). Using comments like "blowed up" would not be a very accurate way to determine which receivers get a new card, although considering Echostar, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did this!

Ain't it fun waiting on new cards from two service providers? ;)

I do not think they have a goal of ending hacking. But, they want to end free programming for everyone but diehard hackers. They want to increase the pain and difficulty of hacking to the point that you cannot just mail order a hacked receiver and get updates over the internet for free programming and have no idea what you are doing. They want to end the whole trade of illegal receivers and programming. Sure, there may remain the diehard people that really know what they are doing able to receive free programming, but they want it to be too difficult that the average person cannot do it any more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)