New Software Coming Tonight

Got the update last week and was happy to find my Netflix "connection" issue has been resolved, for now at least. It hadn't worked in a month even with all connection tests successful and the Netflix integration reset. Hopefully it works for good now!

I'm seeing that now that when I bring up Netflix my 4K TV switches to 4K UHD for the whole session no matter what the programming is, and no switching back and forth. As wisely said: "Hopefully it works for good now!".

I did not know that words wake it so that it could hear you. In that case the button is not needed. I thought that the button was supposed to be the way to talk to it.
Thanks for the info.

I did not know that words wake it so that it could hear you. In that case the button is not needed. I thought that the button was supposed to be the way to talk to it.
Thanks for the info.

The Dish 54 Remote only listens when you push the microphone button. A Google Assistant speaker is always listening and responds when it hears the wake up phrase “Hey Google”

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Bobby
Thanks for the info.

Just as Alexa has "Alexa", "Echo" (mine since TV shows are using "Alexa" to mess with you and order things for you), "Computer" (for Star Trek Geeks) and "Amazon". GA has: "Hey Google!" and "OK Google!". If you straight out talk to it without a "Wake Word", it will not acknowledge you.

Last edited:
u539...we're having issues. Almost every day now after night time reset when we turn on any of the 3 Joeys (ours are wired) we don't seem to get a decent signal from the Hopper and the channel is either black, stutters or is pixellated and unwatchable. And if you press the Options button on the Joey it'll say 16 of 16 tuners in use and they all say "acquiring signal." A reset of the Hopper solves all this until it resets itself in the middle of the night and it starts all over again. Diag screens say everything's linked and strong signal. This has never happened...ever...until now
This is still happening...in fact it's happened twice so far today. Anyone else dealing with this?

So voice operated Google Assistant tablets and remotes will not respond unless you say a wake up word, but if it is not listening all the time how does it hear the wake up word?

Remotes don’t have the power to listen all the time. That’s why you need to press a button. The others do have the power, and loop thru the short memory until they detect the wake word, then pop to life.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: dweber
So voice operated Google Assistant tablets and remotes will not respond unless you say a wake up word, but if it is not listening all the time how does it hear the wake up word?
Theory is always-on devices (Tablet/Phone/Speaker) are listening all the time BUT will not actually process/send information to the servers unless you "wake" it up first with the trigger word. Now do the devices really not send anything out unless you preface your query with the trigger word, probably not as it is pretty easy to set up a network capture at your router to see if the devices is communicating with the mothership when you don't use the trigger word. #tinfoilhat

The remote saves battery power and stays off until you press the button, that's why it doesn't have a trigger word.

If you were a gamer and ever used team speak, discord Voice or ventrilo, and you would understand the difference between voice activated and press to talk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Whoa! How does the foot switch work?? I can't even wrap my head around that one
I bought it on Amazon for $10. You install simple software to keybind the switch and every time you press the foot switch it emulates a key press. I bind my switch to F13 since it really doesn't exist or interfere with other game controls and tell Discord F13 is my PTT key

Reactions: HipKat
Big toe indeed :)

41K1ZUHICBL.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts