New starz channels

drock85

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
Apparently starz is adding two more channels. RetroPlex and IndiePlex
Their being added to comcast and it says in the article that there talking with dish right now too.

Starz plans to pitch the new channels to affiliates including EchoStar Communications Corp.’s Dish Network. The direct-broadcast satellite provider’s carriage contract with Starz expired Jan. 31. The programmer’s services are still on Dish as the two parties talk about a new deal.

I like those last two sentences there. The contract is expired for dish to carry starz but Starz is still letting them broadcast the channels. I wonder why lifetime was different?:)

Here's the link: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6306771.html?display=Breaking+News

Because Starz HD and the Dish HQ are a stones throw from Each other. Dish will get the deal done. Remember the new DishHD page had StarzHD listed on it when we first found it. :)

Mike4HDTV said:
I really hope they add StarzHD soon.
Yeah and hopefully they'll add starz hd before starz has their next free preview.
My 622 will be working overtime that week. :D

drock85 said:
Apparently starz is adding two more channels. RetroPlex and IndiePlex
Their being added to comcast and it says in the article that there talking with dish right now too.

I like those last two sentences there. The contract is expired for dish to carry starz but Starz is still letting them broadcast the channels. I wonder why lifetime was different?:)

Here's the link: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6306771.html?display=Breaking+News

On C-Band also.

hmm new agreement with Starz, now the Starz HD makes all the sense in the world :)

Starz is different because it is sold a la carte. They do not have to worry about a rate hike for all their customers, only those that sub to starz.

long_time_DNC said:
Upcoming channel shuffle??

Years ago, when I had cable, I always hated it when they'd start switching the channels all over...

Channel shuffle means they will move channels from one sat to another (E*10 is up:) ) and not actually changing channels numbers like cable companies liked a lot before.

Starz HD would be nice to have again i watch Starz alot and with the new HD stuff and my 211 with the works one more HD channel would be welcome here but we will see it is E* we are talking about here

This will interesting.........waiting to see what happens.

Starz is, what, $11.99/mo now? After the new contract, if they add the new channels, who wants to bet that goes up to whatever HBO is charging? $13.99 is it now?

Encore and Starz are the same company, right? Any chance we will get an addition to the Encore multiplex channels as part of AT-180?

It would be nice if Dish passed along more of the DD audio feeds on their premium movie channels. There are several of these channels that are transmitting in DD which we get in stereo from Dish.

Will the new StarzHD be available to the old HD receivers since it is part of the starz pack and not the HD pak?

It is highly unlikely that Dish will add any more MPEG2 HD channels.

ESPN2 was not part of the HD Pak. Everyone expects the HGTV and Food Network HD channels to be MPEG4 and they are just everyday AT tier channels.

Releasing Stars HD in MPEG2 would only encourage people to stay with MPEG2 receivers and Dish doesn't want that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)