new sub with questions on install

scooby2

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Chicago, IL
New dish sub as of yesterday and the installer was pretty new to the whole hidef thing so it was quite interesting.

I got a dish 1000 with 2 cables coming from 110/119 going to a DP34 and 1 cable from a dish 300 pointing at 61.5 going into the dp34. Coming out of the dp34 there are 2 wires to the vip622 and 1 wire to the 625 which then has a separator on it. The 625 seems to work fine both tuners. With the vip622, I get 110 and 61.5.

He originally tried 2 wires to the 625 and one of the tuners would always fail the check switch test. Any suggestions on what is going on? I thought the dp34 did not work with separators? I have in fact recorded 2 shows at the same time on the 625 so I know that is working.

Thanks for any advice you can give me,
Scooby

scooby2 said:
New dish sub as of yesterday and the installer was pretty new to the whole hidef thing so it was quite interesting.

I got a dish 1000 with 2 cables coming from 110/119 going to a DP34 and 1 cable from a dish 300 pointing at 61.5 going into the dp34. Coming out of the dp34 there are 2 wires to the vip622 and 1 wire to the 625 which then has a separator on it. The 625 seems to work fine both tuners. With the vip622, I get 110 and 61.5.

He originally tried 2 wires to the 625 and one of the tuners would always fail the check switch test. Any suggestions on what is going on? I thought the dp34 did not work with separators? I have in fact recorded 2 shows at the same time on the 625 so I know that is working.

Thanks for any advice you can give me,
Scooby
I suggest calling DISH Network, you didn't get a DISH 1000 you have two separate dishes. The DISH 1000 is an oval dish with 3 LNBs aimed at 110/119/129. You are right the DP34 does not work with separators, for the setup you described you need 4 cables 2 for each receiver.:mad:

boba said:
I suggest calling DISH Network, you didn't get a DISH 1000 you have two separate dishes. The DISH 1000 is an oval dish with 3 LNBs aimed at 110/119/129. You are right the DP34 does not work with separators, for the setup you described you need 4 cables 2 for each receiver.:mad:
I did get a dish 1000. He wanted to use my mount from where i had directv 110/119 so he left 129 unplugged (tree in the way of 129 there). He tried using my 18" directv dish that i had pointed at 101 to get 61.5. Of course that did not work due to the different lnbs.

I'm just confused how this separator is working and why i'm not getting 119 on my vip622.

You need to call Dish. The DP 34 switch will not work with a separator they only work with Dish Pro Plus so you need a DPP44 switch instead and while there out there make them hook up 129 in case there is no tree problem now or it comes down in the future. If they give you a problem about 129 tell them the tree is coming down soon. Note the cost of a DPP44 is $100.00 more than a DP34.
Also the installer might have been lazy by using your old DTV mount there maybe some where else that 129 might not be blocked out. Ask for a different installer.

Last edited:
i think you might have bad DP34 can you take ;lines from port 1 &2 put them on port 3 & 4, and 3 & 4 on to 1 & 2. then do check switch on both receivers. DP separators don't work with DP 34 switches.

ok I pulled out the dp34 and now have one port off the dish 1000 going to my 622 and one port going to the 625 using the separators. The "installer" is begging me not to call dish. He says he will drop off a dish 300 and a dp44 tomorrow. I should probably just call them though. He was supposed to come on saturday at 10am (rescheduled saturday night to sunday 10am because he claimed he was in jail). He called at 1pm today and made up another excuse.

Now if i could figure out why the volume on my 622 tv2 is so quiet. I can barely hear the sound at all unless i turn the volume on tv2 to the max. I have the attenuator on and i ran rg6 straight between the two. Tried with and without the attenuator.

Last edited:
scooby2 said:
ok I pulled out the dp34 and now have one port off the dish 1000 going to my 622 and one port going to the 625 using the separators. The "installer" is begging me not to call dish. He says he will drop off a dish 300 and a dp44 tomorrow. I should probably just call them though. He was supposed to come on saturday at 10am (rescheduled saturday night to sunday 10am because he claimed he was in jail). He called at 1pm today and made up another excuse.

Now if i could figure out why the volume on my 622 tv2 is sp quiet. I can barely hear the sound at all unless i turn the volume on tv2 to the max. I have the attenuator on and i ran rg6 straight between the two. Tried with and without the attenuator.

i don't know about you but if tech claims he was in jail for something there is no way i even let him inside of my house. call dish

sounds like you need to call dish and tell them what the insaller told you and also tell them what he did because he clearly doesn't know wtf he is doing. Dish 1000 to a DP34... wtf is he thinking. Sounds like he was smoking something during his training, how is he even SBCA certified!?

Yeah I wasnt planning on letting him in. Seems like a nice guy but was pretty clueless overall. Told me I couldnt have both the 622 and 625 in the same room as well. I will call dish after the race.

2 more visits both times they were supposed to bring a dp44 and did not. Tech even called before leaving the office which is 62 miles away from here and stated he was bringing a dp44. He arrived, saw 129 was blocked and left. He said they did not have any dp44's.

Can i plug 61.5 into the "LNB in" port on the dp plus twin of the dish 1000 since 129 is unused? I may have to give it a try tomorrow if no one knows.

yes you can plug 61.5 in to DPP twin it will work just make sure it is DP also. are you talking about DNS office that did that or local Subcontractor or retailer?

According to dish its a retailer they are contracting out to. Supposedly the field service manager or something like that will be coming out Saturday. Advanced tech said they refuse to credit me if I buy a dp44 and dish300 and install them myself. I did get them to credit me for the full month of service for my troubles.

What i need done:
1. dish1000 needs aimed properly. The installer tried tweeking the dpp with one of those analog finders and my best signal is 71 out of 125. Most transponders on 110/119 are in the 50's or 60's.
2. dish300 needs pointed to 61.5 and connected to lnb in on dish 1000. Too many trees to hit 129.

50s and 60s for 119/110 is kinda low. its hard to get 125 especially with dual tuner receivers. i usually get abut 105-109 signal strength. for 129 it is lo to begin with. but thats a good decision to install 61.5

Scooby, what type of LNBs are they using on the dishes?? Can you get two cables to both receivers??? If you are using the 61.5, 110 and 119 all they would have to do is use thre DishPro Lnbs with three lines into the 34switch. They may not be too familiar with the D1000, so ask them to replace it with a D500, but you want to keep the D1000 for "when you do trim or remove the tree".

I ordered a sat finder this week since I figured the installers scheduled for 3/4 would suck. A field service manager was supposed to come out but of course no one called or came out. Using a dish pro lnb on the d1000, I was able to get signal on 110 to peak of 102 and 119 peak of 95. While up there i ran a cable from the lnb in (usually for 129) to the spot where i have my old 18" directv dish.

I put the dpp lnb back on the dish1000 and put the dp lnb on the 18" directv dish. Seems the best I can get on 61.5 is about 50-60. I'm betting a dish300 or a true dish500 would get me better signal since the 18" directv dish was not meant to work with a twin dp lnb. Thoughts?

Wobbie:
I have this lnb on my 18" directv dish:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/LNBF/DishPro-Twin-LNBF.htm

And the following on the dish1000:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/LNBF/dpptwin.pdf
unused (no line of sight to 129 from the spot):
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/LNBF/DishPro-Dual-LNBF.htm

Since i can't seem to get a dp44, what should I do? I have a 625, 622, and was thinking about adding a 211. I really dont want to buy the dp44. Wonder if I can talk them into giving me either the 211 or dp44 for my install troubles. 5 - 4 hour windows and only once has an installer stayed for more then 2 minutes. He was the drunk one that could never come back since he was in jail.

Sure you can! I would aim the one dish it by itself. Disconnect the splitter at the receiver and run the one cable to the dish you are aiming. Do a check switch which will take a ton of time because there is no cable on the second input. Then aim the dish for 61.5. When complete, put it back together and run check switch a second time. Done!

Last edited:
scooby2 said:
(rescheduled saturday night to sunday 10am because he claimed he was in jail).

LMAO! I don't believe I'd tell a customer I was in jail! :D

Also, did you ever unhook that DP34? Those recievers will run off one line each with a seperator just going straight to the DP twin. How in the hell did you get a DP twin to fit on a D* dish? Anyway, its an automatic QC failure to use a DP twin for a must carry or wing dish. :D I got nailed on that on an install that I knew was gonna get QC'd (it was blocks away from DNSC), but what could I do? We had no DP duals! I thought it was pretty funny, but the QC guy didn't. Guess I'm lucky they didn't find the one where I had two twins and a DP34 for one 311 reciever. :D He probably would have had a heart attack.

Last edited:
First I would like to address the LNBF and switch. The DPP Twin will not work properly with the DP 3:4 switch. The DPP Twin switch conflicts with the 3:4.

Next, I understand the 129 is blocked by trees? Can the dish be moved to get the 129? The 61.5 will not give you all of the HD channels unless you need it for locals. If your going to need the 61.5 and can get the 129 (by cutting trees or moving the dish) then the DPP 4:4 would be the only option to tie them all in. Then there would need to be 3 DP singles or duals on the dish 1000 and a DP single or dual on the wing bird.

Finally, you really need to call Dish customer service and demand a DNSC tech come out to fix your issues.

bmxcookie said:
The 61.5 will not give you all of the HD channels unless you need it for locals.
You've got it backwards. There's two HD channels on 61.5 that are NOT on 129. But IF you're in an HD Lil area, 129 might be the only place to get them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)