New Subscriber Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McBain

Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
I've been thinking about switching from cable to DirectTV for sometime. I'm finally ready to make the switch and have been taking advantage of all the great info on this Board by joining as a new member. Based on the discussion here, I called Value Electronics and asked for some assistance from them in building a system. I also called Expert Satellite and asked them similar questions. I'm not totally driven by price but got different answers to a couple of key questions that I'd like the group's opinion on.

I want a 4 room system (not HD) with one room having the new R-10 DVR combo unit. I'll probably consider the switch to HD in a year or so. The questions:

1. Since I'll be considering HD in the next year, is it worth it to pay for the Phase III Triple LNB Dish now? VE says yes and its only $20 more. ES says no because of different standards coming in 2007. ES says if I get HD before '07, I could always get the Phase III dish later at no cost. (Sounds questionable to me).

2. Would I need a multi-switch under my current proposed set-up since the R-10 requires 2 lines? VE says yes and wants to sell me a 5x8 switch which they claim also gives me future HD flexibility. ES says no and that the installer will "take care of it" when installed. This seems contrary to everything I've been reading.

3. Only other thing to note is that ES seems to not charge for shipping/handling (or will at least rebate the $20) while VE does ($40). As I said above, good service is more important than price to me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-McBain

1. If not getting HD right now, I wouldn't go for the 3LNB dish. ES is correct, when upgrading to HD you will get a dish at no cost.

2. You would need a multi switch for 4 rooms including the room with the R10(that would be 5 runs)

3. Have you tried giving DirecTV a call?? They will include everything you need for an install(including multiswitches).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts