New Subscriber to Dish Network!

mattnstacy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
Making the switch from analog cable. I'm excited but my wife isn't. Worried about the local channels. Even though we're closer to Madison, WI, we're getting the locals from Milwaukee. If we can pick up locals from Madison via "rabbit ears", will it work if I have the satellite on? We need to watch Badger BB games this winter.

Also worried about continuous price increases mentioned here. I was told different by my sales guy (sucker!).

What am I in store for here? Someone put my worries at ease.

I am switching from digital cable. Scheduled for install this Friday. I am kind of worried about the picture quality for non-HD channels. It is as good as can be expected on cable but from what I have heard, with the Dish 811, its not so good. I have heard that the compression rate is too high. I have a Hitachi 57" rear projection HDTV. Does anyone have any input on this?? Is it worth changing from cable?

You can plug an anntenna into your Dish receiver to get locals. I don't know how close you are to the towers, but you might want to consider a new anntenna and rotor if you want to stay with OTA for locals. price increases are certainly a fact with Dish or any provider for that matter. On the bright side, you will be happy with the picture quality of Dish over analog. It is much better. That and the program guide are the biggest positive changes you will notice.

mattnstacy said:
Making the switch from analog cable. I'm excited but my wife isn't. Worried about the local channels. Even though we're closer to Madison, WI, we're getting the locals from Milwaukee. If we can pick up locals from Madison via "rabbit ears", will it work if I have the satellite on? We need to watch Badger BB games this winter.

Also worried about continuous price increases mentioned here. I was told different by my sales guy (sucker!).

If you are used to cable increases, satellite increases are nothing to worry about. Price increases from satellite have been about 2/3 LESS than cable has socked their people. Actually, the biggest beef most have around here is that E* likes to play hardball every now and then and shut off channels when they fight an increase they think is too high (or comes with too many gotchas such as new channels that they don't want to carry being forced upon them (ie. NickToons, etc.))

I can't speak to your cable companies but in my area, E*s PQ blows away that of our cable company!

We have been with E* for some years and plan to stay. We would like to see our locals in HD and also more national HD but we understand E* is working on these and so we will be patient for a while.

--Doug

mattnstacy said:

Consider yourself lucky. You will get two local markets - Madison and Milwaukee. If you can get Madison with OTA now, then you will get it with Dish OTA also, and in HD!
Moreover if you are somewhere close to a line between Madison and Milwaukee towers then you have a very good chance of picking up both Madison and Milwaukee OTA HD.
It is not like you will have some different HD content but just a backup, or you will be able to watch station with smaller logo or else. If you upgrade to Channel Master 4228 then you will definitely get what I am talking about.

Minsk1 said:
Consider yourself lucky. You will get two local markets - Madison and Milwaukee. If you can get Madison with OTA now, then you will get it with Dish OTA also, and in HD!
Moreover if you are somewhere close to a line between Madison and Milwaukee towers then you have a very good chance of picking up both Madison and Milwaukee OTA HD.
It is not like you will have some different HD content but just a backup, or you will be able to watch station with smaller logo or else. If you upgrade to Channel Master 4228 then you will definitely get what I am talking about.

I used to consider myself good at this electronic stuff but I know now I'm totally out of the loop. What is OTA?

I was just going to get a booster antenna from Radio Shack or something. I don't have an antenna on the house, not since I was a kid. Plus I don't have an HDTV yet, but will definitely be interested when prices come down a bit more.

OTA = Over the Air (ie. Rabbit Ears or big rooftop/attic antenna used to pull in signals)

go to http://www.antennaweb.org to help you find what stations are in range and what antenna type you will need.....

Welcome to the satellite club.......

mattnstacy said:
I used to consider myself good at this electronic stuff but I know now I'm totally out of the loop. What is OTA?

I was just going to get a booster antenna from Radio Shack or something. I don't have an antenna on the house, not since I was a kid. Plus I don't have an HDTV yet, but will definitely be interested when prices come down a bit more.

Consider attic OTA installation. Your house will look better and your HDTV will be happy enough :D
Again, Channel Master 4228 is much better then any Radio Shack stuff. Proven in my case when attic 4228 can get me Milwaukee and Chicago markets, and I am 70 miles from Chicago!

Around $40 for CM 4228.
There is no such thing as attic OTA. Any OTA can be installed in the attic and be called attic OTA. Some large OTA can't be installed because if their size. CM is a square 4'x4', and can be installed without any problems.
Visit www.solidsignal.com or find a local retailer at CM website. That is what I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts