New SW on the Hopper REALLY sucks!

Since DISH used to outsource their call center to foreign countries, it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch that they also outsource their software to foreign countries. Would explain why they seem so disconnected from the subs they are supposed to serve. You know Charlie , anything to save a buck. :rolleyes:

Probably best to keep it a secret which foreign countries you're insulting.

Probably best to keep it a secret which foreign countries you're insulting.

Why? Other nations have no issue insulting Americans when we screw up. I HATE offshore call centers. I know it's not the employee's fault, specifically, but when they are so inept that they have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, then that is just bad business.

I asked myself if I really should hit the send button. I have my answer.

It's just TV you know, not some international crisis.

Since DISH used to outsource their call center to foreign countries, it wouldn’t be that much of a stretch that they also outsource their software to foreign countries. Would explain why they seem so disconnected from the subs they are supposed to serve. You know Charlie , anything to save a buck. :rolleyes:
There has been noted by the techs differences in the install between China made and India made Hoppers, so I think you're onto something

I could care less about the new appearance.
They broke the functionality for anyone with multiple hoppers.
You can no longer control playback on the remote hopper.
Pause does not work
Stop does not work
Skip back does not work
Rewind actually goes forward
Skip ahead is 10 sec instead of 30 sec.

I can no longer control programs recorded on my family room hopper while watching them on the treadmill with my living room hopper.

Last edited:
There's a simple explanation for the new software, Dish got the same people that make the software for Comcast's X1 DVR to "improve" the Hopper "experience".
I've had the X1 for three or four years now (at another home) and it's UI has never made any sense. The EPG is hard to read (not to mention really slow), basic info about the current program is hard to find, even the channel number is often a mystery. Same goes for the scheduled recordings screen. Admittedly, the DVR screen (or "saved" as Comcast calls it) still lists recordings with text but the VOD screen has really small text labels beneath the poster art (did I mention its really slow). And the DVR has a whopping 500GB of storage for the whole house. I almost forgot, the voice remote doesn't seem to understand English and just to "improve" an already memorable "experience" the new X1 remotes dropped the skip back button (they never had a skip forward button). But that's OK, because a new "feature" allows you to use your voice to skip forward or backwards by an amount of time of your choosing. You know, instead of just pushing a button that every DVR on earth has always had. So, if you've had enough of Dish, try the original joke DVR.

Agree with the Comcast crap . Getting Fios back tomorrow after 6 months of dealing with the X1 mess . It is starting to sound like Dish is out sourcing the software. Bring back Ecostar .

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I could care less about the new appearance.
They broke the functionality for anyone with multiple hoppers.
You can no longer control playback on the remote hopper.
Pause does not work
Stop does not work
Skip back does not work
Rewind actually goes forward
Skip ahead is 10 sec instead of 30 sec.

I can no longer control programs recorded on my family room hopper while watching them on the treadmill with my living room hopper.

Just think we get these constant "upgrades" as justification for the dvr fees, but the dvr is inoperable

Reactions: Jon J
My hopper decided to make a few new folders. A few nights it seems to record in one than changes to another folder of the same program. Also I noticed a few shows are stopping at the end of the hour and restarting. I tapped a show and it showed 3 recordings . 8-9 , 9-10 , 10-10:45 . All the same movie. Never seen that before.

Please call in with issues. And the software is/was tested prior to release. I am not on the H3, however I assume they are finding it difficult to have multiple setups that include 2x Hopper3 and such as that in the testing arena.
Until the older generations of Hopper are EOL'd, it's going to be difficult for them. The soak was done around the first part of April.

Reactions: pattykay
Please call in with issues. And the software is/was tested prior to release. I am not on the H3, however I assume they are finding it difficult to have multiple setups that include 2x Hopper3 and such as that in the testing arena.
Until the older generations of Hopper are EOL'd, it's going to be difficult for them. The soak was done around the first part of April.

Big company. Should have an entire room filled with every combination of h/w.

Hoppers aren’t that old, especially by industry standards. There is no excuse for repeatedly breaking functioning software.

“The soak???”

Didn’t the PalDvr from Dish have all it’s software written by a team in the UK, without any actual ATSC 1.0 8vsb signal to use.

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit, if most of the dish software is written by overseas teams.

Don't knock those PalDVR's. :) I still use one on a secondary tv in a guest bedroom! Still cranking along.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts