New Theme + Improvements to the Navigator.

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
A new improved layout is coming if you have not already got it. Its much better easier on the eyes and not nearly as plain. Also a few new features, ill play with them and see how well they work.

The guide now has a different color scheme...dark blue backgroun listing the programs, on the left listing the channels is in an almost black background and the words and times are in a bold white...the details of the show is listed in light blue...and the cursor is a highlighted yellow.

The "list" feature has the same color scheme.

The only additions that I've noticed, which may have already been there, on the recorded programs, you have arrows advising what you can do, when you are selecting play, delete, etc.

I've also notices a slight improvement in response time changing channels and when fast forwarding/reversing the shows.

Yeah, I think I'll just take it back to one of the BHN Centers and swap it out. I have had the new Navigator for over a year (back when it was in the VERY early and nasty stages), but when everyone else got the Navigator roll out, mine stoped updating ( I noticed a slight GUI difference, and features missing on mine).

I'm just wondering if there's a super secret admin option to flush the OS and download a new one from the servers =p

And what is the rollout schedule by area/box-type?
I'm in Brevard, and got the new user interface--probably Weds night 2-18, or early Thurs.

I find the text much easier to read, but somehow, picture seems (subjective) not as clear. Color is fine, but seems to have lost a bit of sharpness/clarity.

Is there a list of all the changes somewhere?

i hope

Well i hope that bright house decides to bring start over to orlando as well as the short clips hey does anyone know when it might actually start in Orlando?:confused:

Startover is already in orlando.

It is, however, it doesn't work half the time for me.

I visited some family this weekend and they have BHN as well, however, in the Tampa Market and the start over feature worked perfectly.

One thing though I did notice, the quality of the picture doesn't seem to be as good as here in Orlando. Alot of "snow" is the best way I can describe the quality.

... One thing though I did notice, the quality of the picture doesn't seem to be as good as here in Orlando. Alot of "snow" is the best way I can describe the quality.

In Brevard, I feel the same way. The picture isn't as bad as you describe, but it does not seem to be as sharp as before the navigator software change. It is kind of like a bit of "soft focus" is always on. The absolute sharp clarity is gone.

I'm in the Tampa market and was watching when some update took place on the box. All I know is since that update changing channels are very slow plus a few other issues but all involve slowness. Any idea why?

:mad: well i have the new navigator software, but it reverted my sound output on the 8300 dvr back to HDMI, which gives me PCM muted sound---I can reset to the dolby digital output but it will NOT hold!---every time I restart the DVR, it loses the dolby digital setting and I have to manually reset to DD EVERY TIME! Any fix for this issue??????

:mad: well i have the new navigator software, but it reverted my sound output on the 8300 dvr back to HDMI, which gives me PCM muted sound---I can reset to the dolby digital output but it will NOT hold!---every time I restart the DVR, it loses the dolby digital setting and I have to manually reset to DD EVERY TIME! Any fix for this issue??????

I don't believe there is. I have had to do this for a long time. It is very annoying. I've consulted with BHN and what I've been told is it is my equipment, not the box.

Unfortunately, I think we will just have to live with it for now.

Its just a problem with the box trying to "Be Smart" it detects "hey they are using HDMI Video let me turn on the AUDIO for them" In the majority this is beneficial, because a big problem we had when we got the HDMI boxes is people not knowing how to get audio through the HDMI. So they changed the software to automatically detect it.

Itd be nice if the box would "save" your settings for you so when you do reboot it it remmebers it. But kinda the point of a reboot is to "reset" everything, as our tech support when yo ucall them typically always have you do a reboot to try to get the settings back to normal. So its a win-lose situation. If they change it we go back to the problems before, if they make the settings save, then rebooting the box will not reset the settings. Perhaps adding a "reset" option in software would be the best bet.

Its just a problem with the box trying to "Be Smart" it detects "hey they are using HDMI Video let me turn on the AUDIO for them" In the majority this is beneficial, because a big problem we had when we got the HDMI boxes is people not knowing how to get audio through the HDMI. So they changed the software to automatically detect it.

Itd be nice if the box would "save" your settings for you so when you do reboot it it remmebers it. But kinda the point of a reboot is to "reset" everything, as our tech support when yo ucall them typically always have you do a reboot to try to get the settings back to normal. So its a win-lose situation. If they change it we go back to the problems before, if they make the settings save, then rebooting the box will not reset the settings. Perhaps adding a "reset" option in software would be the best bet.

Thanks for the reply---I have HDMI for the video but prefer to use the Dolby Digital out for the audio---I am getting used to resetting it every time, but it does seem like a fix could be considered for the future.

The_Insider, I was wondeirng if you knew the rollout date of the digital navigator software on BHN's Michigan division? We've been stuck with TV Guide FOREVER (there's been like 1 update for stability/minor features I think) and it SUCKS and is so last century! =(
Also for others that have the navigator software in sunny FL I assume the update has fixed the speed problem? A major complaint I read early on is that the "digital navigator" takes forever to load and process data when selecting entries, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts