Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
I guess I'm the first and only one to complain about what SatelliteGuys has done to the Thread structure that makes surfing a pain in the butt and takes twice as long. I didn't discover the "new" DOS file format at the top of the threads until I returned to work this week. Apparently, it doesn't activate on a Mac running the Classic OS so I didn't see it during the holidays from home. Now, I'm shifting my surfing of this site to a strictly home activity.

Anyway, I tried to deal with it and learn to appreciate it, but it just sucks. I ended the week just scrolling through the whole thread when I wanted to view an update. Otherwise, if I use the DOS files to find unread posts and one of the unread posts is a third level add in the middle of the thread, I can't view the context of post or view the next new post without going back to the DOS files and clicking the next new thread. What a time waster.

Please bring back the "View First Unread" or make it an accessible option for those on a PC. This site's "View First Unread" actually worked exactly like it should, unlike AVS Forum, which merely takes you to the most current post. It was great (still is on my Mac at home) and really saved surfing time.

I have to apologize for the rant. I now know what happened, but I don't know how it happpened. In the past week I stumbled upon this Site's "Display Modes" option for viewing threads. Previously I wasn't even aware of such and option, much less ever using it. However, somehow my work PC was in "Threaded Mode" for this Site when I returned from Christmas vacation. I was flumoxed!

Apparently, my work and home computers have always been in "Linear" mode (default?) and I was happy as a clam not knowing there was any other way to display the threads and posts. Now that I know that the Site didn't change, I'm a happy camper again and I am sorry I unloaded about my unwelcome surprise on my work PC. I still don't know how the Display Mode changed on that PC, but it is back to Linear and I am happy. Of course, after dealing with the Threaded mode for a couple of weeks, I can't fathom why anyone would choose that. But, to each his/her own.

Best of luck with the site Scott, it has been great for the year I've been a member.

Ahh yes that makes sense, you got stuck in threaded view mode. :)

This is a new VB3 feature which I personally never use, it is in there though to give the users a choice of how they want things displayed.

Sorry that we didn't know what you were talking about in the origional message. :)

I've had Google results come back to me set to use that display mode (why? dunno). I do remember on at least one occasion after viewing one of those results, a cookie had apparently changed and my other window with my real logged in session went to that mode. It was then that I discovered the threaded view. :)

But I think the question still lingers in many of our minds... what DOS files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts