Why cant I post a question on the satellite signals thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbovetheHorizon

Original poster
Oct 14, 2023
Rather not say
I set up this account because id like to discuss the topic of fringe reception. About 10 years ago I seen a video titled "Out of footprint reception from an analouge feed on Horizons 2". Im from Europe and Horizons 2 was at 72. °W so to be able to receive such a signal from Europe was really cool. Unfortunately this video is no longer available online:(

I am contacting you guys because the option to post this in the "satellite signals thread" forum was unavailable.

I used to be a member of satellite-forum.com but unfortunately this site is no longer up:(

Has anyone on this forum ever seen this video im talking about? In the US this would not be that interesting because Horizons 2's footprint map was for North America but because it was analougue it spilled over to western Europe and someone was able to capture it on video. If I remember correctly they used a 1.2 meter dish (3.937008 feet) ; not that big all things considered.

Thank you in advance and Im sorry for posting in the wrong thread; there was just not option for me to post in the "satellite signals thread"

I set up this account because id like to discuss the topic of fringe reception. About 10 years ago I seen a video titled "Out of footprint reception from an analouge feed on Horizons 2". Im from Europe and Horizons 2 was at 72. °W so to be able to receive such a signal from Europe was really cool. Unfortunately this video is no longer available online:(

I am contacting you guys because the option to post this in the "satellite signals thread" forum was unavailable.

I used to be a member of satellite-forum.com but unfortunately this site is no longer up:(

Has anyone on this forum ever seen this video im talking about? In the US this would not be that interesting because Horizons 2's footprint map was for North America but because it was analougue it spilled over to western Europe and someone was able to capture it on video. If I remember correctly they used a 1.2 meter dish (3.937008 feet) ; not that big all things considered.

Thank you in advance and Im sorry for posting in the wrong thread; there was just not option for me to post in the "satellite signals thread"

By "satellite signals thread" do you mean the What's Up There section? If yes, then you need to ask a mod for access first as that area is 'locked down' from the general public and to prevent bots from scanning it. ;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
What is it that you're trying to accomplish (outside of starting a conversation about bygone technology)?

From what I can gather, Horizons 2 was never an "analog" satellite. According to n2yo.com, it was designed to carry HDTV and Internet service and we don't do analog HDTV or analog broadband Internet in the US. n2yo also says that the satellite is currently orbiting near the 74W orbital location (73.77W, to be precise). Lyngsat.com doesn't list Horizons 2.

Because it is very close to Nimiq 5 (72.7W) and Hispasat 74W-1 (73.9W), I'd guess it isn't beaming a signal in your direction (if at all) as there needs to be around nine degrees of separation between orbital slots covering the same geographic area.

Here's the Caribbean beam for Horizons 2 from satbeams.com:

1697333191519.png

This is probably as close to Europe as it gets and as you can see, the signal falls off less than halfway to Spain.

Horizons 2 has also been aloft for almost 16 years so it may not be long for the World.

By "satellite signals thread" do you mean the What's Up There section? If yes, then you need to ask a mod for access first as that area is 'locked down' from the general public and to prevent bots from scanning it.
If you don't have a C-Band dish, will you be deccliened access if you ask?

So even if I have NO FTA equipment, not even at least a dish, I can still join?
If so, are streams/video recordings/screencaps shown of the feeds? I like seeing test patterns, used to always see some when I lived in Miami and their stations (4, 7, 10, 33, etc.) signed off for the night

I remember reading some article a long time ago (mid 90's maybe) about some guy in South America who was receiving a side-lobe of Astra 1A, with a very large dish. Well outside the intended footprint obviously. I think I also saw something about receiving either Indian TV from Europe of vice versa in the early days of satellite TV. The limitation was not only the footprint but also the fact that the satellite was very low near the horizon (as 72West would be from Europe, unless on some Atlantic islands like the Azores)

So even if I have NO FTA equipment, not even at least a dish, I can still join?
If so, are streams/video recordings/screencaps shown of the feeds? I like seeing test patterns, used to always see some when I lived in Miami and their stations (4, 7, 10, 33, etc.) signed off for the night

As long as the mods OK your access. I'm sure quite a few people join the site and request access to the WUT area to see what content is currently available to decide if it is worth investing in FTA equipment.

P.S. I have seen screencaps, etc shared there from time to time but it is usually just the needed specs (what was found plus the satellite, frequency, polarity, symbol rate, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.