New Timers recording old programs

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
Just the past week I'm seeing programs getting recorded that are months old even though the timer is set to "New". I understand this happens when there is no episode information but these had full episode and original air date information.

I've had it happen when I started a timer on a show on one of it's "later" times as opposed to it's "first" time. i.e., setting up the timer for the 11:00 showing, vs the original 9:00 time. Can't explain the logic for it.

I've often wondered, when setting a timer and it asks for New, All, or Once, what's the difference between New and All?

Does New only record episodes that aren't already on the DVR (without recorded duplicates) or does it only record episodes that are first time run (Air Date = today).?

And does All record every episode even if it's already recorded?

This always confused me because not all shows have detailed episode info, air date, or episode numbers.

Thanks -

Sam

I've often wondered, when setting a timer and it asks for New, All, or Once, what's the difference between New and All?

Does New only record episodes that aren't already on the DVR (without recorded duplicates) or does it only record episodes that are first time run (Air Date = today).?

And does All record every episode even if it's already recorded?

This always confused me because not all shows have detailed episode info, air date, or episode numbers.

Thanks -

Sam

New records new episodes on their first broadcast date. The listing information actually says "new" for the episode when it is shown for the first time.

All will record every episode from the show, new or rerun, but it will still skip episodes that are already on the DVR as duplicates.

I wish they were able to do this better. Correct listing info available consistently would be great. Daily Show and Colbert Report cease listing info when they're on reruns and on Mondays, so the DVR will record every airing that day when I have it set to New. And as of September 1st, the Six Feet Under reruns on UNiversal no longer have any listing information. It's tough enough to watch a show from the beginning when they skip among 5 seasons randomly and even worse when you have to cross reference the website for which episodes air at what times.

It'd be even better if the DVR knew what I've recorded in the past on an ALL timer and wouldn't record it again after I watch and delete it or knew when a show was interrupted by rain and immediately recorded the next airing. Also, since I have only 1 OTA tuner and might want to watch more than one network show at a time, some shows are recorded OTA and others on the sat local feed. When schedules change, this can cause problems and skip some shows. If I could just say I want to watch that show and let it pick the most efficient feed, that would be awesome.

This is an old and irritating issue. In short, there are several instances of "New" timers recording repeats even when all the relevant info is visible. In fact, the DVR will set to record the repeat premier airing of the same show 3 hours later even though your "New" timer is also set to record the very first airing of the premier. And even after it has completed recording that very first airing of the premiere episode, it will still fire to record the same episode 3 hours later for the repeat airing. And if you "skip" (manually tell the DVR NOT to record the repeat airings), the next day the DVR will UNskip (put the timers back to fire) the repeat airings.

This is a known issue that Dish knows about and created because on a past Tech Forum, years ago, they admitted that they were getting calls that the DVR was NOT recording "New" episodes, so they altered the software to allow for some repeat recordings trying to be safe than sorry, and yes, they advise that if you get a repeat recording that all you have to do is delete that repeat recording and we should be happy that we get repeat recordings instead of NO recording of the episode at all. They have never fixed this. Please do Dish.

This is an old and irritating issue. In short, there are several instances of "New" timers recording repeats even when all the relevant info is visible. In fact, the DVR will set to record the repeat premier airing of the same show 3 hours later even though your "New" timer is also set to record the very first airing of the premier. And even after it has completed recording that very first airing of the premiere episode, it will still fire to record the same episode 3 hours later for the repeat airing. And if you "skip" (manually tell the DVR NOT to record the repeat airings), the next day the DVR will UNskip (put the timers back to fire) the repeat airings.

This is a known issue that Dish knows about and created because on a past Tech Forum, years ago, they admitted that they were getting calls that the DVR was NOT recording "New" episodes, so they altered the software to allow for some repeat recordings trying to be safe than sorry, and yes, they advise that if you get a repeat recording that all you have to do is delete that repeat recording and we should be happy that we get repeat recordings instead of NO recording of the episode at all. They have never fixed this. Please do Dish.

Actually, I think it is all just guide info related....it is not correct. Many stations that show repeats have incorrect data. Dish is looking for 'New', but even if a premiere plays twice in the same night, both are marked NEW in the guide. In my world, only the first one is new.

I get this on HGTV with some episodes of House Hunters. The guide data doesn't have an episode number or original air date, so I'm guessing the DVR is set to do the "safe" thing & record it rather than miss something that really is new.

I've been recording "Rizzoli & Isles" on TNT at 7 pm Pacific/10 pm Eastern time. It repeats later the same night & again several times during the week, but my 722k only records the first one. Tomorrow night I have a conflict with 2 other satellite programs so I set the first airing of "Rizzoli & Isles" to skip & it automatically set the timer for the second airing 2 hours later - perfect!

On some timers like for shows like Mad Men or Haven or Warehouse 13, I set them to weekly instead of new. I don't get repeats that way and when the season ends I delete the timer.

This week my DVR recorded an episode of "Criminal Minds" from 2005. I have that timer set for new episodes only. I also had an old episode of "Mythbusters" on my DVR this week. The "Colbert Report" is a thorn in my side every Monday too.

Basically this is a "normal" thing.

Garbage in garbage out. Old programs that get recorded as New usually have a blank field under Episode or Original Date. If it is a big problem on a program that appears for a show that repeats at the same day(s) and time you can get around the problem by setting a Manual Timer. "Monday through Friday" is an option with Manual Timers.

The "Criminal Minds" episode from 2005 had both episode number and the original air date in the proper places on the program info. :)

The Daily Show and Colbert Report are Mon-Thurs shows. :)

A manual timer would record reruns and other crap when programs move without notification.

I agree that the problem is with the coding of the EPG info, but it isn't as obvious as some make it out to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)