New to DDish, have a question related to OTA channels in HD

edarca

Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I recently subscribed to Dish and added the HD package, I noticed that HD programming for local channels (CBS, FOX, ABC) are not offered by Dish. Can I add install an HD antenna to the 822 receiver to get these channels and take advantage of the HD programming?

Another question I have is about sound, I have the receiver connected to my receiver using Optical cable but noticed that the sound is low, I have to turn the volume high to get listen, it feels like the sound is compressed, I can;t not find in the settings menu if audio is being compressed. I tried with different cables digital and analog, different channels HD and SD and sound is poor.

I assume you mean model 811.

a, Yes. You can add an antenna for OTA reception. Basic instructions for it should be in the user's manual. Go to www.antennaweb.org to see what digital stations you can receive, and what type of antenna you'll need.

b. If you think the optical out audio sounds low on the satellite channels, wait until you hear the OTA channels. They are about another 30% lower. The 811 has a big discrepancy in sound between it's sat tuner and OTA tuner. Just one of a long list of bugs and/or defects. (Bugs can be fixed. Defects can't.)

THanks for the info. Do you know of other HD receiver offered by Dish that I can think of upgrading, sound quality to me is important specially witth HD programming and digital music. I am a Voom customer and the receiver used by Voom has much better quality than the 811 that's why it was very obvious.

Regards

You have the sound setting on the 811 set to Dolby Digital only ?

If you are withing about 35 miles, no major hills from your Locals, try the Zenith Silver Sensor, about $20 from www.buy.com

They work great.

As far as sound issues, there is a difference between OTA and Sat but both are very usable.

edarca said:
THanks for the info. Do you know of other HD receiver offered by Dish that I can think of upgrading, sound quality to me is important specially witth HD programming and digital music. I am a Voom customer and the receiver used by Voom has much better quality than the 811 that's why it was very obvious.

Regards
The sound quality is still pretty good to me. It's the discrepency in the level that is the problem.

However, bear in mind that there is a compatability problem between the 811 and many models of audio receivers. Some receivers will not play DD5.1 from the 811, only PCM stereo, which, of course, does not sound as good.

It remains to be seen whether it is a design flaw, which cannot be corrected, or a bug, which can. They keep talking about it being fixed in the "next" sw release. But, it hasn't happened yet. SOP for Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)