New to DISH, 722K confused by interface

mrsnak

Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
California
Was a longtime DTV customer but just moved because of lower DISH prices.
Have HD and am finding the interface extremely unintuitive and frustrating compared to DTV's. The big manual is the worst piece of technical writing ever, but the little cheat sheet is helpful.
Questions:

1. Watch a recorded program part way, controls won't let me delete a show in progress, get error message to the effect of "program in use". How do I easily delete it?
With DTV, I just hit a back button and delete it.

2. How do I change the priority of a program after it has been added to my recorded programs list?
With DTV, I simply went to my program list and moved a show up or down.

3. How do I know when one program might overlap another? DTV would tell me that one would be deleted.

TIA

1. Hit the stop button on the remote, then push My DVR twice go to the program and delete it. It's really easy when you know what to do.

2. You can do this but I never worry about it so I'm not sure exactly how it's done.

3. If you have a conflict you will get a notice and it will ask you what you want to do.

If you are watching a recorded program, and it is still in the recording process, you must stop the recording at the appropriate TV. By default, the 722 records to tuner 2 first in dual mode. So if you are watching a recorded program on TV1 that hasn't yet reached its scheduled end time on tuner 2, you must stop the recording in progress from TV2. Once you have stopped the program, you will be able to delete it from either TV.

If you are watching a recorded program, and it is still in the recording process, you must stop the recording at the appropriate TV. By default, the 722 records to tuner 2 first in dual mode. So if you are watching a recorded program on TV1 that hasn't yet reached its scheduled end time on tuner 2, you must stop the recording in progress from TV2. Once you have stopped the program, you will be able to delete it from either TV.

Whew, is that ever confusing ;-)
I am in dual mode, but I show everything recording to tuner 1.

To change the Priority you have to use the Timers list. Press the DVR button until you get to the recording schedule and Timers should be a button on the right.

Does the interface show you a progress bar showing time left when you stop a program?

I'm not sure about when you stop a program but if you are watching a program the top banner will display the amount of time left. If you press the right arrow on the remote it will display the banner. I'd imagine there is another way to do it but that's what I use.

1. Hit the stop button on the remote, then push My DVR twice go to the program and delete it. It's really easy when you know what to do.
:confused:

After hitting the stop button, why not just select Delete on the screen that pops up?

Because that does not happen. Just checked.
I had addressed my question to Bobby, but thanks for trying. :)

Let's make sure we're on the same page and talking about the same question.

1) We're watching a recording made a week ago. We want to stop viewing that playback and delete the recording. Hit Stop and select Delete is the way to go, as I said.

OR

2) We're recording a live program and want to stop recording it and delete the recording. Hitting Stop and them My DVR twice does not present one with the option to delete. Pressing Stop and chosing to stop the recording and then hitting the My DVR button twice will allow you to chose the recording and to then delete it.

OR

3) Some other case that you're bringing up?

Whew, is that ever confusing ;-)
I am in dual mode, but I show everything recording to tuner 1.

No more confusing then doing the same thing with my TiVo: the same steps are be used by many TiVo users and no cofusion. Dude, sounds like the "Ugly Duckling" syndrome. I had a couple who thought for years that Multi-Mate was just the bees knees because it was their first ever word processor and they dissed WordPerfect all the time, yet WP, having far more power, did require using the Windows menu standard because it did a lot more and Multi-Mates one key commands for the 8 things it did was more "simple," but truly inferior.

I don't think that driving on the right side of the road or driving on the left side of the countries have any advantage over the other. They are just different, just like DVR's: Dish, Moxi, TiVo, DirecTV all vary on the steps to get where you want to go. Each has it strengths and weaknesses in terms of steps to achieve a desired effect. I just don't get caught up in how different the steps are with my TiVo compared with my Dish DVR. The far more important matters of features is another matter, however.

Last edited: