New to Dish and HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jenningsmusic

Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
:confused: I am new to Dish and to HDTV. I have owned an HD capable TV for years now but actually getting HD was a problem until now. Now that I have it, I have to say I'm disappointed. I see some difference but it's not near as good as I expected especially with movies.

In my exploration of the Dish HD DVR menu, I found a place under HDTV set up where I can enter the type of TV I have. It is set to 480P but my TV is capable of 1080i. When I change the TV type, the picture is distorted (squashed) on every setting except 480P. BTW, my TV is a 4:3 too. Am I not getting as good a picture as I could because of this or some other setting? I would greatly appreciate any help anyone might want to give me.

Refer to the users manual on how to setup the receiver on 1080i. You didn't mention the brand of your tv, only that it was 4:3. When the receiver is correctly formatted for your tv, the screen will be "letter boxed" in normal mode. Any other format will not be correct. The users manual should make that clear. I'm assuming that you are using component RGB or HDMI connections if you have those choices? Otherwise, the resolution will only be 480.

:confused: I am new to Dish and to HDTV. I have owned an HD capable TV for years now but actually getting HD was a problem until now. Now that I have it, I have to say I'm disappointed. I see some difference but it's not near as good as I expected especially with movies.

In my exploration of the Dish HD DVR menu, I found a place under HDTV set up where I can enter the type of TV I have. It is set to 480P but my TV is capable of 1080i. When I change the TV type, the picture is distorted (squashed) on every setting except 480P. BTW, my TV is a 4:3 too. Am I not getting as good a picture as I could because of this or some other setting? I would greatly appreciate any help anyone might want to give me.

You have a 4:3 TV that does 1080i? Must be pretty old.

Refer to the users manual on how to setup the receiver on 1080i. You didn't mention the brand of your tv, only that it was 4:3. When the receiver is correctly formatted for your tv, the screen will be "letter boxed" in normal mode. Any other format will not be correct. The users manual should make that clear. I'm assuming that you are using component RGB or HDMI connections if you have those choices? Otherwise, the resolution will only be 480.

I would be extremely surprised if there was a 4:3 1080i TV out there that had HDMI inputs. If there are, they are extremely rare.

Have you also changed the "Aspect Ratio" on the same screen as the "TV Type"? There are two 4:3 types to choose from instead of 16:9. Try both of those and the format "*" button on the remote to see if you get the correct combination for your TV.

[QUOTEYou have a 4:3 TV that does 1080i? Must be pretty old.][/QUOTE]

I still have an old Hitachi that is 4:3 and 1080i component only!

But the picture still looks great!

for hdtv to look great you need HDMI for best results.
True in theory, as many here have found out though, not always true in practice. There are many sets where, for whatever reason, the component input actually gives you a better picture

Yeah, my brother's component on his new 60" 08 Sony almost looks 3d compared to this hdmi with the same cable box.

Also, if your tv is 4:3, you adopted the format too early and you need a 16:9 tv to really enjoy HD. Time to buy a new TV! Good picture on your hitachi or not!

Don't use s-video, or anything other than the YPrPb component cables for your video input. You'll also need the Red and White audio cables.

Once you get the HD setup properly from your box, also make sure the TV isn't set to do any scaling and that it just takes the signal the box gives it.

Yeah, my brother's component on his new 60" 08 Sony almost looks 3d compared to this hdmi with the same cable box.

Also, if your tv is 4:3, you adopted the format too early and you need a 16:9 tv to really enjoy HD. Time to buy a new TV! Good picture on your hitachi or not!

What's the model # on that 60" Sony for '08?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)