New to dish from comcast. Hopper and 2 joeys questions

mohanman

Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Lansing
Hey guys, I used to have comcast.. its wasn't bad I just liked the way the interface looked for the hopper so I had it installed day before yesterday. I could have swore the PQ was just as good yesterday compared to comcast.. I was so happy, but today for some reason the DISH PQ looks dull and faded. Is there any suggestions you guys have on the PQ? Comcast was more sharp/vivid. Does it matter on the satellite signal ? I'm getting around 53-57 if I look at diagnostics.
I'm using HDMI to my 55" LED
Thanks
Mo

If your on a eastern Arc dish looking at 72.7 and 61.5 the signal strengths are spot on, depending on your area. Here in PA we usually get around the 60's on some transponders.

As far as the picture quality; you may need to look up the calibration settings for the specific make and model of your TV. Before that, insure that your technician enabled 1080i resolution in the main menu under
HDTV. Out of the box during the setup the picture quality is only set to 480p (Blurry, Distorted especially on a nice big HDTV).

If you are noticing interlacing lines across the screen there could be an issue with the refresh rate on the receiver output which would require a new Hopper.

Hope that Helps.

Umm..... kind of mad information there....

The signal strength has nothing at all to with the quality of the picture. If you were actually losing the picture or it temporarily freezes, that might be a sign of a low signal.

I can't explain why it looked good yesterday to you and not today, I am assuming you changed nothing since yesterday.
Whenever you change providers you have to change the settings on the TV. If the TV has it's own calibration settings use them. If you are familiar with the AVIA DVD that assists you to get the best looking picture, use that.
Otherwise, adjust the brightness, contrast, color saturation and hue to get it where you want. You may also want to make the picture a little sharper.

Yep did all that, the picture just looks softer compared to comcast. But hey, I switched and committed for 2 years now, I hope it gets better.

The picture isn't going to change, so work with your TV to get it looking good. Be sure the Hopper is set to 1080I. (or 720P if it has that setting)

mohanman said:
Is 1080i better or is 720p?

Set it to match the TV's native resolution.

In theory, 720p, with its twice as fast frame rate, is better for sports and fast action. 1080i, with it's larger # of pixels, gives greater detail, especially for static scenes. In reality, many other factors affect the end result so you can't go by theory much.

mohanman said:
Hey guys, I used to have comcast.. its wasn't bad I just liked the way the interface looked for the hopper so I had it installed day before yesterday. I could have swore the PQ was just as good yesterday compared to comcast.. I was so happy, but today for some reason the DISH PQ looks dull and faded. Is there any suggestions you guys have on the PQ? Comcast was more sharp/vivid. Does it matter on the satellite signal ? I'm getting around 53-57 if I look at diagnostics.
I'm using HDMI to my 55" LED
Thanks
Mo

I will have to admit that in my observation with any provider, that pq can and will fluctuate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts