New to fta and need a lot of help please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vktran226

Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
I am new to fta and need a lot of help. I was looking for a box preferably HD, but I don't know which one is good. I have also heard that the HD boxes are not really worth it right now because of the lack of channels available. I can settle for a non HD box if that's the case. I just need help with a good setup for regular watching. I am not really sure what satellite or hardware i need. I live in Houston if that helps any. Thanks in advance.

any specific channels you looking for?
sometimes people get FTA for a specific channel or a couple channels

Nothing really specific, I guess just a good selection of basic cable channels, sports, movies. Mainly the basics. Nothing too fancy. Maybe some international channels (Vietnam) for the folks, but that is not the main concern though. Thanks for the quick reply!

The RTN's (G-10KU and G-3 C band) are Fun!

They have lots of old programming, with good acting. They are carrying shows like the Untouchables, Mission Impossible, Simpsons reruns, Family Guy reruns. They are not in HD.

The receiver you choose would depend on your needs and your set up. I would recommend a blind scan receiver (I have the Traxis 3500) even if you also get an HD receiver (I don't think any HD receivers have blind scan at the moment).

If you want to look at sports backhauls and have C band, HD is justified. Just be prepared to invest the time looking for them.

CBS, MYTV and CW are presently available on C band FTA in HD. There are some affiliates for all the networks available in FTA on C band, but none are in HD.

I just got a Pansat 9200HD and the Blindscan works very well. In fact, when it's scanning, the screen is the same as my old Pansat 2700a, which always finds feeds. Worked right out of the box. It found all the PBS channels on 87W including the HD stuff. I have found several news feeds covering the wild fires in Southern California.
Overall, I would say the 9200HD is a decent FTA receiver. (I got a good deal)
Haven't got my C-band dish up yet. But, I am betting it will work good there too.
If you don't need HD all that bad, pick up any of the newer Pansats (2700a, 3500 etc.). Usually found at a good price and have good blindscan and motor control.
Look on 97W for some international channels that may interest you.
grusome

grusome, you will love...

the HD reception from a C band dish. There are only a few everyday FTA HD locations, but the backhauls are amazing.

The backhauls are not compressed and are typically first generation signals.

The CBS network feed is spectacular eventhough its a second generation signal.

Sorry if this hijacks the thread...

A blindscan HD receiver; that is interesting. Has it been reviewed by Iceberg or anyone else here?

I have been blind scanning with the Traxis 3500 and then saving locations with the Coolsat 8000hd. The Traxis will identify coordinates,but does not show the HD picture. but,if you know the SR, you can figure out what backhaul it it is.

I've seen some folks from this site over on Rick's scanning backhauls,too. and,they are better and faster than me!

the HD reception from a C band dish. There are only a few everyday FTA HD locations, but the backhauls are amazing.

The backhauls are not compressed and are typically first generation signals.

The CBS network feed is spectacular eventhough its a second generation signal.

Sorry if this hijacks the thread...

A blindscan HD receiver; that is interesting. Has it been reviewed by Iceberg or anyone else here?

I have been blind scanning with the Traxis 3500 and then saving locations with the Coolsat 8000hd. The Traxis will identify coordinates,but does not show the HD picture. but,if you know the SR, you can figure out what backhaul it it is.

I've seen some folks from this site over on Rick's scanning backhauls,too. and,they are better and faster than me!
Not a review by Iceberg, but one by another 9200HD owner:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/108434-got-my-new-pansat-9200hd.html

I got mine Tuesday, so, I'm looking forward to this weekend and some sports feeds.

I too didn't mean to hijack this thread. But, the OP did ask about HD.
The 9200 can be found for less than $400.00 shipped. So far, it seems to have good blindscan and motor control. I want to get a VBox for my C-band dish. ( after the wifey decides which of her many flowerbeds becomes the big dish's new home!! :D

grusome

Any word on the ability of the Pansat 9200 to connect an external E-SATA hard drive for PVR functionality?

I haven't got an E-SATA drive yet to test it. Nothing in the manual that comes with it mentions that function other than the specs which show the E-SATA connector for connecting external HDD(their wording). And no settings that I can see in the setup menus. I've been playing so much I haven't had a chance to see if there is a newer file on their website that may enable that function.
Of course, the menus might not show anything until a drive is actually connected. Guess, it's time to go by Fry's and see what's available.
grusome

I wonder if its a function not yet enabled by firmware. This receiver, along with the Visionsat IV-200 and Coolsat 7k, is on a short wish list for my next FTA receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)