New to FTA: Receiver Recommendation Please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks Brian, that's good to know. Not really needing a PVR unit, but always looking out for
a new, fast blind-scanning box that won't lock up on HD feeds it finds!

USB up front

I appreciate the request for the USB connector on the back panel.
However, if the best unit for the job has it on the front, then front it is.

I have one. Two, actually.
I've thought (and written) about moving the connector to the rear.
(search on my name and "Visionsat", or maybe look in the review thread for ideas)
In the end, it wasn't really worth the effort.

Since the drive needs to be disconnected from the receiver about once a week to make DVDs, pulling out the FTA box to get to a rear connector would have been undesirable, too.

edit: if you really insist on spending considerably more money, take a look at the Coolsat 7000 or 7100.
I think it's essentially the same receiver, but with USB on the rear.
Also has some small amount of flash memory built in so it'll record or let you wind back your show, without a drive installed.
HOWEVER, once you plug in a hard drive, I don't think there is any difference.

And, I paid about $70 or $80 after rebate for a 500gb Western Digital external USB drive, which seems excellent.
So, getting a smaller one is pointless.

Of course, indeed if the best unit for the job has the USB port on the front, then front it is. I agree. However this great unit apparently has been discontinued and is nowhere to be found. I'll have to wait for it's replacement.

One question I have: can you playback from the hard drive too, in addition to recording to it? I saw your comment about making DVDs and was just wondering if you were doing this to be able to watch recorded programs (because you could not, from the HDD?), or for archiving ...

The best hobbyist FTA SD DVBS DVR with a proven track record is the Visionsat IV200 (new units are still available through eBay for a great price). USB is on the front panel.... Sorry! Coolsat receivers were not supported in the same manner as the Visionsat for the hobbyist. Same hardware and engineering, but a different creature.....

Satellite AV's GEOSATpro 90cm dish is definitely one of the best dishes for motorized set-ups.

A LNBF that I assisted with development and introduced to the North American market several years ago is recognized as one of the best LNBFs and most sought after hobbyist item: the Invacom QPH-031, combined circular and linear LNBF. This LNBF will allow access to the unencrypted channels on the DBS and FSS birds.

Satellite AV's co-branded Ecoda/GEOSATpro 2x1 or 4x4, 22KHz switch.

A STAB HH90 or SG2100 (one button design) motor.

Not all items are carried by a single dealer, but you will have the best equipment if you are willing to shop.

Brian,

Can you recommend a full FTA package (motorized, receiver, antenna, LNB, ...) for the pacific northwest (Seattle)? Channels would include those at Galaxy 25 (97W) and perhaps other satellites. I would like a high quality receiver with PVR capability, via a USB port on the back.

Thank you!

Thank you Brian - much appreciated. I assume SatelliteAV cannot offer a "package deal" for all the items you outlined (perhaps without the receiver; I can get that off ebay). If it can, please let me know.

Two other questions if you or others don't mind: On ebay I noticed a claim that the Visionsat unit works with two type of dongles. Pardon my ignorance, but why would I need a dongle for FTA?

Also, can I upgrade these Visionsat units myself with the latest firmware/software? Where do I get the latest firmware?

Thanks again!

I'll defer to Brian on the Coolsat question.

As to firmware upgrade, how-to, etc, check in the Review thread for the unit.
Lots of other good info to be found there, too.
Or, start at the end, and work your way back to the beginning, if you must. ;)

Dongles (in this context) are used by hackers.
For regular FTA operation , they are of no use.

As for motor, I'll buck the popular trend and say: STAB HH90.
I have one, and like it. Plus, there is only one model... :cool: ... and no clones.

As you can probably tell.... When I participate in the forums, I remove the sales hat. Satellite AV only sells a few of the items.

You will need to shop around as there is not a single source that I am aware of that sells this combination in a kit ....

Brian removed his sales hat and did not mention the DVR unit he has for Glorystar!

I love it.

USB port on the back. the hard drive I use has a standard USB cord that unplugs from the drive and plugs into my other cables for the computer. But then I play back my hard drive through the receiver into my DVD recorder as my computer does not like the files the DVR makes.

Brian removed his sales hat and did not mention the DVR unit he has for Glorystar!

Can you please elaborate? Is this receiver only for Glorystar? Can it be used for regular FTA?

Can you please elaborate? Is this receiver only for Glorystar? Can it be used for regular FTA?

Yes, it can be used for FTA. It was designed for Plug and Play with Glorystar so those channels, from G25 and AMC4 are programned in. But it does a good job of blind scanning and does handle switches and I presume motors, although I do not have a motor. I am not a computer genius (though 3 of my 7 kids are) so I have not figuired how to pull progams I recorded through my computer to DVD but I bought a DVD recorder that does that off the audio and S-video from the receiver playback.

The way it is set up, it is to get weekly update via a transponder on G25 from Glorystar, but that can be turned off. If you do not turn off the auto-update feature, your newly scan channels may be overwritten. The time updates on the same transponder, although the time is running about 2 1/2 minutes slow.

We Recommend Viewsat and Sonicview

Our vote definitely goes with Sonicview and Viewsat. :up

We've been successfully installing these two brands for years. By choice, they are the only two brands we like to carry.

We currently offer free shipping on all receivers.

If you're in the San Diego area we can also help you with installation and support.

You can reach us via our site FTA2Z . com or PM me.

install a lot, do ya?

Our vote definitely goes with Sonicview and Viewsat. :up
We've been successfully installing these two brands for years.
By choice, they are the only two brands we like to carry.
If you're in the San Diego area we can also help you with installation and support.
FTA2z, if you want to be taken seriously, ya might post some actual FTA dishes on your site. - :rolleyes:
All I see are Dish 500 and Dish 1000.2 - :eek:
Nothing good will come from offering those with all the FTA receivers. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)